Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: 200 Chambers Street - Tribeca - Condo - by Costas Kondylis

This will soon go up in that slot in BPC and hide that new black and silver thing:

200 Chambers has topped out

^ Great! It turn out to be fine. Nice shot.

Red face

Very pleased with the outcome of this one. The corners are especially handsome and are well executed. This building does well creating a transition between the residential towers of Battery Park City and the corporate towers of the Financial District.

What are those rectangle inserts on the windows? Do they open, or is that some sort of design element.

Also - nice picture

Quote Originally Posted by SilentPandaesq
    What are those rectangle inserts on the windows? Do they open, or is that some sort of design element.

Also - nice picture
    I would hope that they would serve some sort of function and be operable...

Those rectangles are casement windows. I think they should have been a bit larger.

The building turned out much better than the renderings.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    Those rectangles are casement windows. I think they should have been a bit larger.
    I don't know the what the difference is between regular windows and casement windows. Are they some sort of window in a window set?

Should the whole window be larger or just the rectangle part?

Casement windows are hinged on the side, and usually open outward, like a door.

It's pretty clear I was talking about the "rectangles."

gotcha - thanks

one more - Are they supported in the T-shaped part of the window , or are they really 2 different windows that are combined to make a whole. I guess I am asking is the glass flush inside or are there hinges at the meeting point of the rectangle and the upside down T part?

It is a very handsome and imposing facade. It looks more like an office tower than a residential building. Seems a bit out of place and cold, especially with the tinted windows surrounded by the silver/metallic trim.

Quote Originally Posted by Kace
    It is a very handsome ... imposing ... more like an office tower ... a bit out of place and cold ...
    Are you using "handsome" in the same way that CityRealty does?

(Much like describing Bea Arthur as a "handsome" woman)

I'm in full agreement with your other points -- and think, for such a prominent site, that something far less conventiional would've been better. Not that flash and dazzle would be necessary, but something less abrupt would've been welcome here.

Handsome as in, it doesn't hurt the eyes and is not gaudy (probably not in the Bea Arthur sense). It would be a a very nice building in an office park or midtown or wall street. The bulk of the building being on west side highway makes a big difference. I agree with the comment that it is somewhat of a transition into the remainder of the neighborhood. Still interested in seeing how the area will look with 101 Warren to the south of this building.

This is not a transition building, at least north-south wise, as there is a taller office tower a couple of blocks north up the West Side Highway. However, the transition is real nice east-west wise, with the east portion going down to the level of the school directly to the east, which is a great and pretty new lowrise building that isn't going anywhere anytime soon, while the west side has the tower that looks great on West Street and creates transition from lowrisers to BPC to the west across the street.