Thread: Baruch College Academic Center - 55 Lexington Avenue - by Kohn Pedersen Fox

Default Baruch College Academic Center - 55 Lexington Avenue - by Kohn Pedersen Fox

Architect: Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates and Castro-Blanco, Piscioneri & Feder

Year: 2000

Style: Postmodern

Description: The new Academic Center at Baruch College.

Forum Veteran

Default Baruch College Academic Center

AKA The Giant HP Printer by many.

I don't know what to think of it.

"The Giant HP Printer". How imaginative.

Good building, a vertical campus with a high atrium favoring communication and natural lighting. The high-tech esthetic is welcome in conservative Manhattan - although it had to be framed with brick fronting the street, a servile gesture akin to self-strangulation. They probably thought the contrast would look fresh.

Forum Veteran

Kinda looks like a midrise that I saw in London.

I like the way that the horizontal lines seem to get thinner toward the top. Because of the inward curve of the facade, the building appears taller. An old trick with a new twist! Joseph Urban did it at the New School by simple making the horizontals thinner up top. Cross & Cross used a similar tactic at their fantastic 20 Exchange Place.

Sorry for posting on this old topic, but I just started reading these forums, and had to see if they had anything on the HP printer of a school I attend. The atrium is very nice, and I actually like the brick facade (a bit too fake looking though), but the classrooms seemed to be hurt by the design. Most have one small window, and some have no windows at all ! Its strange cause from the outside it looks like there are a good number of windows but from inside the classrooms ugh... Ill take picture of some of the windows in the classrooms if I can cause they suck! The building across the street, Newman Library, is a much better, if not old fashioned building

Ube, your right! In fact one of the more clever things the architects did was to sort of incorporate the brick facade across the street into their building by recessing the main entrance and sheath it in glass that would reflect the building across the street and make it it's own! But only if your walking east.