Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump World Tower - 845 United Nations Plaza - Condo - by Costas Kondylis

Default Trump World Tower - 845 United Nations Plaza - Condo - by Costas Kondylis

Trump world tower is the worlds tallest residential building, It has 72 floors and is just over 900 ft.

Is it a masterpeice of the skyline, providing a home to wealthy people?

Or is it an eyesaw that buries the chrysler into a feild of skyscrapers?

Default Trump World Tower

It is a modern marvel.

The modern marvel

Well suited to UN Plaza

Trump had the opportunity to grace the skyline of Manhattan with a 900 foot building and he chose yet another black box. It just doesn't do it for me. Some like its sexy proportions, but I call it a wasted opportunity. For the next tall residential building can we try for something innovative or are we looking for an even better black box?

A marvel is something that evokes strong surprise, astonishment, or wonder. This building does the opposite of that (for me). While I agree that up close it is a sleek black box, down where I live it looks like a smokestack. Certainly nothing to marvel at in a city of true marvels.

Hippocritically, I would love to LIVE there! The views must be spectacular, and no views include the TWT!

I will now duck as rotton tomatoes are thrown at me......

Eh...it's OK. I don't hate it, but I certainly don't love it.

I think this building is wonderfull to look at. *It's too bad that there are so many other black boxes in the city. *TWT and Seagram are the only two that matter, the rest of the black boxes are background noise, IMO.

(Edited by Zoe at 11:26 am on June 12, 2003)

Sorry to say, but I don't like it. Like some of you have said it's a black box. I think that in building with height a building must be more than just a box. There are two elements I do like of this building. It is very slim unlike many other black box buildings. If the skin were another color that might change my mind, but it's to late.

I like the TWT, Its a 'Black box' that the city really needed to change the skyline.
    The veiws are spectacular, I have a friend on the 45th floor, the apartments are amazing!

To me, the change in the grid on the facade about 2/3rds of the way up ruins what simplicity/charm the building may have.

Zippy, great shots! I've never seen TWT and the UN from that angle. They look like the same design evolved, since the widths are pretty similar!

The only boxes I like in the city are TWT, 9 W. 57, UN, 1 Penn, and the two we had downtown for 28 years. The rest can come down, ESPECIALLY the two twin squat apartment towers in the middle of the 1st pic, to the right of the UN tower. I think they are on the north end of Carl Shurz (spelled wrong) park. They're friggin' hideous!

TWT deserves to be the last box ever built in Manhattan *- it's that good and we have way too many. Time for a new movement!

Forum Veteran

I think it has good proportions. *Sure there are other black boxes, but none have such a presence in the skyline. *Others chided the twin towers for the same reason - their boxiness...but if everything were art-deco, you would hear the opposite complaint. *

does anyone think that when a building has more storeys it is more impressive?

I dont particulaly think so, but it does add a sence of power to them if they do.

[Quote: from JerzDevl2000 on 12:25 pm on June 12, 2003 *The rest can come down, ESPECIALLY the two twin squat apartment towers in the middle of the 1st pic, to the right of the UN tower. I think they are on the north end of Carl Shurz (spelled wrong) park. They're friggin' hideous!]

I may be mistaken, but I believe those twin apartment towers were originally designed as a combination World Trade Center and headquarters complex for IBM in the 1950s. *IBM later decided to relocate to Armonk.

Also, Carl Shurtz park surrounds Gracie Mansion in the 80s on the UES. *The green space by the UN is usually referred to as the North park.

Would you class the solo building as a 'black box' because its not really all black and curves outwards as it approaches street level

Banned Member

It's hard for me to be objective. *If it were just "another" black box in Manhattan, I'd surely hate it. *But, it has such a wonderful impact in the skyline that I probably overlook its shortcomings.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast