View Poll Results: Construction is underway, how do you feel about the final design for the WTC site?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am more than satisfied; I believe that the final design surpasses that of the original World Trade Center. 10/10

50 26.04%
  • While nothing may ever live up to the Twin Towers, I am wholly satisfied with the new World Trade Center; it is a new symbol for a new era. 7/10

55 28.65%
  • I have come to terms with the new World Trade Center; although it has a number of flaws, I find the design to be acceptable. 5/10

48 25.00%
  • I am wholly disappointed with the New World Trade Center; we will live to regret the final design. 0/10

22 11.46%
  • I am biased, but honest, and hate anything that is not a reincarnation of the original Twin Towers.

17 8.85%
Page 101 of 407 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 6091

Thread: World Trade Center Developments

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    If there is to be a pedestrain bridge, Liberty St would be a good spot. But I don't know if there is any effort to preserve it as an artifact. In my opinion, it will be torn down, and possibly replaced.

There are plans for a bridge at the BBT entrance.
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...ight=greenwich
    I read in a article at lowermanhattan.info about the starting of the vesey street brige which said that improvements will be made to the south bridge. I don't see no reason for destroying it. You can go to the memorial and then safely go across to the WFC and enjoy. I don't think they are going to destroy it. Maybe or maybe not.

If there is to be a pedestrain bridge, Liberty St would be a good spot. But I don't know if there is any effort to preserve it as an artifact. In my opinion, it will be torn down, and possibly replaced.
    If the LMDC or PA tries to destroy that bridge, they are going to have a fight on their hands. The South Bridge is one of the few artifacts of our pre-9/11 community, and there is absolutely no reason to tear it down. We have seen enough senseless destruction.

Quote Originally Posted by BPC
    If the LMDC or PA tries to destroy that bridge, they are going to have a fight on their hands. The South Bridge is one of the few artifacts of our pre-9/11 community, and there is absolutely no reason to tear it down. We have seen enough senseless destruction.
    I agree. Some people went ran into the bridge to survive. I emailed lowermanhattan.info and the WFC and ask them about it. I hope it doesn't go down.

Why would anyone want it down

Slightly OT, but I really wish they would have working elevators at the Vesey and South Bridges. They're there, but I don't think I've ever seen them work. If you have a stroller, the escalators only help halfway since they only operate in the up direction. With so much family pedestrian/stroller traffic, this is a real pain. I end up using the street level crossing at Vesey instead, but the next street level crossing to the south isn't till Albany, so there's this huge gap. A underground concourse would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCResident
    Slightly OT, but I really wish they would have working elevators at the Vesey and South Bridges. They're there, but I don't think I've ever seen them work. If you have a stroller, the escalators only help halfway since they only operate in the up direction. With so much family pedestrian/stroller traffic, this is a real pain. I end up using the street level crossing at Vesey instead, but the next street level crossing to the south isn't till Albany, so there's this huge gap. A underground concourse would be nice.
    Since you cross the vesey street bridge does bridge lead into the WFC.

If you want substantial pre09/11 artifacts, look about 100 feet south of the bridge, and right next to the Vesey bridge. Two survivors, and architecturally significant as a bonus.

The Liberty bridge, on the other hand, has no architectural merit. I suppose its design was meant to (pardon the pun) bridge the disparity between the WTC and WFC but with the WTC gone, it is up in the air (another one). It bears no relationship to the WFC, and it was never meant to end in a stairway to the street, but rather connect to a proposed building at the Liberty St parking lot.

Both bridges were butt ugly the day they were built.

Lets just see whats going to happen. I also think the the other new tall wtc towers should be connected by bridges lik the Petronas towers. It would look cool.

What's with the whole "time translations" project going on now? They've got projectors set up and colored shadows of people inside the Liberty Str. bridge. It doesn't really have any effect, just curious about what it's supposed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    What's with the whole "time translations" project going on now? They've got projectors set up and colored shadows of people inside the Liberty Str. bridge. It doesn't really have any effect, just curious about what it's supposed to be.
    It supposed to transformed the regular flow of people crossing the bridge into a sort of a dance translated through time. (don't go south bridge!)

If you want substantial pre09/11 artifacts, look about 100 feet south of the bridge, and right next to the Vesey bridge. Two survivors, and architecturally significant as a bonus.
    The corporate titans at Verizon and the folks at Kibel Co., who own 90 West Street, both deserve high praise for restoring those two magnificent buildings, at great expense, rather than putting the wrecking ball to them and putting up another rectangular black box. But what does that have to do with the South Bridge?

The Liberty bridge, on the other hand, has no architectural merit.
    I never said it did. Something has to be a historical landmark in order to favor its preservation?

I suppose its design was meant to (pardon the pun) bridge the disparity between the WTC and WFC but with the WTC gone, it is up in the air (another one). It bears no relationship to the WFC, and it was never meant to end in a stairway to the street, but rather connect to a proposed building at the Liberty St parking lot.
    The South Bridge did not directly connect to either the WTC or the WFC pre-9/11 either. So what? It could be a highly useful bridge, if Brookfield Properties exercised some good judgment. The WFC even has a turret-looking structure right next to the BPC end of the bridge, which would make an ideal indoor (second story) connection, like the destroyed North Bridge. On the Financial District end, it could connect at the second story to the top of that upraised new Liberty Park the LMDC is creating.

Both bridges were butt ugly the day they were built.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But if we are preserving the ridiculous "slurry wall" -- which is merely a structural support / concrete wall, and which was never visible pre-9/11, nor indeed on 9/11, in fact not until many months after 9/11, when the ruins were carted away, and Mr. Libeskind toured the sight -- then why not something that was used and visible and a part of our community, the last vestige of what was once such a wonderful place?

In the som animation it showed the South bridge being connected to the park that the lmdc is creating.

Am I the only one who found it easier to cross West St. that go up and over that bridge at Liberty St?

Quote Originally Posted by BPC
    But what does that have to do with the South Bridge?
    It relates to your lament..
    The South Bridge is one of the few artifacts of our pre-9/11 community,
    which ignores those two buildings and implies that the neighborhood is being stripped clean of any memory.

A comparison of the utility of the bridge to that of the slurry wall is absurd. Unseen notwithstanding, if it was breached on 09/11, you would be aware of its existence today, because in all probability, you would still be out of your apartment.

Something has to be a historical landmark in order to favor its preservation?
    No architectural merit.
    No historical merit (it is not unique as a survivor)
    Not a part of the WTC site.

We could be talking about Fiterman Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by JMGarcia
    Am I the only one who found it easier to cross West St. that go up and over that bridge at Liberty St?
    No.
    I still find it easier to cross at Albany St.