View Poll Results: Construction is underway, how do you feel about the final design for the WTC site?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am more than satisfied; I believe that the final design surpasses that of the original World Trade Center. 10/10

50 26.04%
  • While nothing may ever live up to the Twin Towers, I am wholly satisfied with the new World Trade Center; it is a new symbol for a new era. 7/10

55 28.65%
  • I have come to terms with the new World Trade Center; although it has a number of flaws, I find the design to be acceptable. 5/10

48 25.00%
  • I am wholly disappointed with the New World Trade Center; we will live to regret the final design. 0/10

22 11.46%
  • I am biased, but honest, and hate anything that is not a reincarnation of the original Twin Towers.

17 8.85%
Page 102 of 407 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112152202 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 6091

Thread: World Trade Center Developments

Im going to wait for the response from my email which I sent LMDC.info and the WFC site asking about the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by JMGarcia
    Am I the only one who found it easier to cross West St. that go up and over that bridge at Liberty St?
    The wait to cross West is too long and I get off at Cortland so walking around the Deutsche Bank building is an extra block for me and then to walk north to One is another one. It would've been absolutely great if they extended the very nice WFC bridge the whole way and added an escalator at the end, but I don't see that happening at least until the buidlings there are dismantled.

The "F***dom Center" (IFC) building designed by Snohetta is to be downsized, according to a report today on NY1 describing a letter from the IFC to LMDC:

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index...id=1&aid=51987

Banned Member

So, let's see. They've now announced that the Fulton Street Station will be scaled back, Calavatra Station will be scaled back and the Snohetta Cultural Center will be scaled back. What next? A 1,776 inch Freedom Tower?

I didn't hear anything about the Calatrava PATH station being downsized.

Are you sure?

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp

Are you sure?
    I think he's confusing it with the Fulton Street station.

Quote Originally Posted by expose05
    Since you cross the vesey street bridge does bridge lead into the WFC.
    I'm 99% sure it doesn't connect directly into 3 WFC. It just ends in a staircase and an up escalator (and a broken elevator).

Yes, it just ends in front of the building. It is a temporary bridge.

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp

Are you sure?
    There was an article about the Fulton station being downsized and it mentioned that the MTA was looking at scaling back the Calavatra Station due to cost overruns on that project too. I was shocked to hear it. I thought that project was safe, but the costs are rising the longer it takes to get it started.

No B.S. - I'll try to find the article and post it.

The MTA has no funding for the Calatrava station. It is completely funded by the PA.

As BPC stated, you may be thinking about the Fulton Transit complex. Besides the structure on Broadway and all the subway stations, part of that project is the concourse under Dey St connecting the transit center to the PATH station.

I maybe wrong about the dimensions, but I remember that the concourse was originally designed to be 40 ft wide, and was scaled back to 20-25 ft. 40 ft would make it a nice space, but at 20 ft, it's just a tunnel.

The only thing I can possible think that the Calatrava station has do with the MTA is the #1 WTC stop.

Banned Member

Patience. I'm trying to pull up tthe article. MTA / PA I might be mixing my auhorities here. But it was mentioned...

Maybe this will help your search:

The IRT 1 Cortlandt St station has to be rebuilt. The subway tube ran directly below the old WTC concourse, but in the present design, it will be exposed. The plans called for the possibility that the station could be open to the transportation mezzanine with the use of glass panels.

It that is done, it would make the subway station more dramatic, but it has no bearing on the scale of the PATH station project.

Banned Member

Default Ny Times Editorial

July 12, 2005
    Keeping Ground Zero Free
    For nearly four years now, the 9/11 families - those who lost immediate family members in that tragedy - have provided an inestimable service to this nation. They helped drive forward the inquiries of the Sept. 11 commission. They helped formulate any number of the projects being developed at ground zero. They have reminded us conscientiously of what was lost on that day.

But in the past few weeks, we've watched a handful of vocal family members, who may not represent a majority of 9/11 families, change the dynamic at the World Trade Center site for the worse. They have begun a movement to "take back the memorial," which means, in essence, eventually purging ground zero of its cultural partners, including the International Freedom Center.

This protest resulted in a shocking response in late June from Gov. George Pataki. He openly joined the criticism of one of those institutions - the Drawing Center - for an exhibition that it sponsored, in another part of town, that contains controversial images of 9/11 and America's role in the world. And he has called on all the cultural partners at ground zero for reassurances that their programs will harmonize with the concerns of this small group of family members.

The World Trade Center site is of enormous importance to all New Yorkers, to all Americans and to people around the planet who have united to fight the insidious forces that led to 9/11. Mr. Pataki's job is to represent all those deeply interested parties. By attempting to appease one small, vocal group of protesters who are unlikely to be appeased anyway, he is abrogating the rights of everyone else. And he runs the risk of turning ground zero into a place where we bury the freedoms that define this nation.

There must be no mistake about this. If the Drawing Center is forced to withdraw from ground zero rather than accept the censorship of exhibitions that are yet to be imagined, no other respectable arts institution will take its place.

What was offered as an open invitation to restore the artistic life of Lower Manhattan will have turned into an invitation to provide only the kind of cultural offerings that please a vocal group of people whose genuine grief has already taken on a sharply political edge. Those are unacceptable conditions that would undermine the very purpose of the arts. If the International Freedom Center must continually bend over backward to placate a handful of angry family members, then all of its commitment to the conscience of that site, to what it can teach us about the character of freedom in the world, will have been compromised.

What we build at ground zero has to honor the memory of one terrible day in the history of America, but it also has to belong to the future as well, a future as optimistic and forward-looking as we can imagine. It cannot be a place devoted entirely to death. If ground zero is not a place of life and creativity, of true artistic and political freedom, then it will not be successful even as a place of grief.

Copyright 2005 The New York Times Company