World Trade Center Site Rebuilding Talks To Resume Thursday
March 22, 2006
Talks are set to resume Thursday between developer Larry Silverstein and the Port Authority over a new rebuilding plan for the World Trade Center site.
Silverstein, the leaseholder on the World Trade Center, says he's received the latest proposal from the Port Authority, and both sides will re-start their face-to-face negotiations tomorrow.
In a statement, Silverstein said: “We are confident that we can reach an agreement if both sides are willing to engage in good faith and remain at the table for the duration. It's time to roll up our sleeves and get to work. I believe that failure is not an option, and I hope everyone at the Port Authority agrees.
The Port Authority put together its offer to counter the one they rejected from Silverstein Friday. Silverstein's pitch would have given the agency control over constructing the Freedom Tower and WTC Building 5.
The plan would have also split insurance proceeds and Liberty Bonds to pay for the construction.
Silverstein has been under fire from the Port Authority and Governor George Pataki since talks broke down last week, with both parties accusing the developer of being greedy and placing his own needs over the needs of New York.