View Poll Results: Construction is underway, how do you feel about the final design for the WTC site?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am more than satisfied; I believe that the final design surpasses that of the original World Trade Center. 10/10

50 26.04%
  • While nothing may ever live up to the Twin Towers, I am wholly satisfied with the new World Trade Center; it is a new symbol for a new era. 7/10

55 28.65%
  • I have come to terms with the new World Trade Center; although it has a number of flaws, I find the design to be acceptable. 5/10

48 25.00%
  • I am wholly disappointed with the New World Trade Center; we will live to regret the final design. 0/10

22 11.46%
  • I am biased, but honest, and hate anything that is not a reincarnation of the original Twin Towers.

17 8.85%
Page 218 of 407 FirstFirst ... 118168208214215216217218219220221222228268318 ... LastLast
Results 3,256 to 3,270 of 6091

Thread: World Trade Center Developments

I actually really really like the new released towers. I can't explain why but I think they work great both on their own and as a group. Well done Foster and Rogers especially. Tower 4 is OK but not great. We'll have to see how the facade in particular turns out in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by finnman69 View Post

There is zero contextualism, and I am guessing the streetscape will be just as sterile as the original WTC complex was. the public space boundries are pretty loose.

Im shocked to say it, but maybe Liebskinds vision for the overall complex was tighter.
    The last thing we need is a place devoid of retail at street level. I doubt the memorial itself will ever be treated as a genuine public space, and beyond that slither of land near the PATH Hub, I doubt they'll give much real space for events.
    I like 2 and 3 WTC, but I could've designed 4 WTC myself. In response to BPC meeting the Silverstein pr person: that person was just using euphemisms. 4 WTC should be redesigned. BTW, does anyone notice that the combined skyline looks like something out of Hong Kong or Shanghai?

WOW!!

This is really cool! 2 buildings higher than the ESB and they're all beautiful and tall. It does look like something out of East Asia, which is why I love it so much.

I hope the designs and height aren't changed too much.

By the way, sorry if this has been stated but when will each tower start construction?
    Last edited by PHLguy; September 7th, 2006 at 06:37 PM.

I'm satisfied with this. The Foster, Calatrava, Rogers trio of buildings is very very nice. I don't mind that they're mismatched at all. The rest of the plan is mediocre. Freedom tower looks better with its new neighbors but it remains uninteresting. Maki's tower is a total let-down. Luckily its the shortest though.

I must say if that if they do not do something to enhance the apperance of the spire/antenna of the FT it is really gonna look very disappointing specially in the presence of much better towers around it.

Five years later ... FIVE YEARS ...

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post

Town Hall Panel Discusses Health Issues
    Caused By "Toxic Brew" Of 9/11 Dust
    Documents: Feds, City Knew Of Ground Zero Toxins

Critics: Lower Manhattan Was Reopened Despite Knowledge The Air Was Unsafe

CBS
    Hundreds of first responders were subject
    to air quality which CBS 2 has learned
    was very dangerous.

A CBS2 Exclusive
    Marcia Kramer
    September 7, 2006

(CBS) NEW YORK Stunning proof has been uncovered that the government knowingly put New Yorkers in harm's way after 9/11.

CBS 2 News has obtained documents revealing that Lower Manhattan was reopened a few weeks following the attack even though the air was not safe.

The two devastating memos, written by the U.S. and local governments, show they knew. They knew the toxic soup created at Ground Zero was a deadly health hazard. Yet they sent workers into the pit and people back into their homes.

One of the memos, from the New York City health department, dated Oct. 6, 2001, noted: "The mayor's office is under pressure from building owners ... in the Red Zone to open more of the city." The memo said the Department of Environmental Protection was "uncomfortable" with opening the areas but, "The mayor's office was directing the Office of Emergency Management to open the target areas next week."

CBS
    File Photo: Former Mayor Rudy Giuliani in 2001.

"Not only did they know it was unsafe, they didn't heed the words of more experienced people that worked for the city and E.P.A.," said Joel Kupferman, with the group Environmental Justice Project.

Another part of the memo noted: "The E.P.A. has been very slow to make data results available and to date has not sufficiently informed the public of air quality issues arising from this disaster."

"Unfortunately, it doesn't surprise me," said health protestor Yuichi Tamamo. "For the last five years we've been saying air quality here has been horrible."

It also doesn't suprise Carmen Flores, who lives in an apartment in the Baruch Houses that was engulfed in the 9/11 toxic plume. Her health has deteriorated and she has multiple medicines.

"I feel forgotten," she said.

Bruce Sprague, an E.P.A. official in the New York and New Jersey region during 9/11 admitted to CBS 2 News the agency was finding alarming air quality readings at Ground Zero and in the surrounding areas.

Sprague said the E.P.A. had written much more conservative health assessments, but the memos had to go to Washington. And when the White House got its hands on them, they -- according to Sprague -- softened them.

The city health department refused to comment on the memo, but inside sources told CBS 2 News the memo is real. And its veracity is not questioned by the Environmental Justice Project's Kupferman.

He calls it "a smoking gun."

© MMVI, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.

I'd like to see more views.....from uptown (ESB) and especially Brooklyn. From certain angles Foster's tower is really going to steal the spotlight, which is a great thing.

Rogers Tower will also look great from Brooklyn. I'm trying to imagine my favorite view of the downtown skyline, from Sunset Park. Spot 7 WTC just next to the smokestack:

Last edited by sfenn1117; September 7th, 2006 at 08:03 PM.

Question, what about WTC 5 and 6?

What are they, and where will they be located (offsite?).

5 WTC is the Deutsche Bank site (or most likely just the southern portion of that site as the part fronting onto Liberty is slated to become park and possibly the site for the new St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church).

Site Map with designations HERE

6 WTC: Performing Arts Center? Memorial Center???

5 WTC is the Deutsche Bank site (or most likely just the southern portion of that site as the part fronting onto Liberty is slated to become park and possibly the site for the new St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church
    I was under the impression that the Deutsche bank site would be where the service ramp for buses and services vehicles and there security screening would be located.

What is WTC 5 going to be, a hotel would make sense. Again WCT 6 might be the PAC right?

WTC 3, 4, 5 and 6 were the names of lowrise buildings that surrounded the Twin Towers and were part of the WTC complex pre-9/11. When it was rebuilt, 7 WTC kept its original name without regard what the new numbering might be.

After the DB building is demolished a "WTC 5" could rise in its place. There is no current plan for a "WTC 6."

Just to eloborate on a thought, if WTC 5 is going to be a hotel (where ever it's located) what brand hotel should it be.

Up-scale (Four Seasons)
    High-end (Westin, JW Marriott, W Hotel)
    Mass market business traveler oriented (Marriott, Sheraton, Hyatt)
    Business Traveler oriented (Courtyard Marriott, Residence Inn etc)

I think that these towers are very good for New York, but there is a negative thing that a few people has observed : the number of floors. The Freedom Tower is high over 400 meters at roof but it has only 82 floors, the tower 2 is high almost 400m and has only 78m , the tower 3 is high 352m at roof and has only 71 fllors and the tower 4 has only 61 floors ( 288 m ).
    Burj Dubai will have between 162 and 189 floors and the same Empire State Building has 102 floors and the same height of the future Tower 2.
    Is it possible that there will be more floors at least in the Frredom Tower ( 100 + floors ) and in the Tower 2 ( 90 + floors ) ?

Quote Originally Posted by soccerUSA View Post
    I think that these towers are very good for New York, but there is a negative thing that a few people has observed : the number of floors. The Freedom Tower is high over 400 meters at roof but it has only 82 floors, the tower 2 is high almost 400m and has only 78m , the tower 3 is high 352m at roof and has only 71 fllors and the tower 4 has only 61 floors ( 288 m ).
    Burj Dubai will have between 162 and 189 floors and the same Empire State Building has 102 floors and the same height of the future Tower 2.
    Is it possible that there will be more floors at least in the Frredom Tower ( 100 + floors ) and in the Tower 2 ( 90 + floors ) ?

How is that negative and who really cares? Now scram kiddo.

^ I thought the Freedom Tower had 88 floors now?

Either way it doesn't matter. They're tall and they look good.