View Poll Results: Construction is underway, how do you feel about the final design for the WTC site?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am more than satisfied; I believe that the final design surpasses that of the original World Trade Center. 10/10

50 26.04%
  • While nothing may ever live up to the Twin Towers, I am wholly satisfied with the new World Trade Center; it is a new symbol for a new era. 7/10

55 28.65%
  • I have come to terms with the new World Trade Center; although it has a number of flaws, I find the design to be acceptable. 5/10

48 25.00%
  • I am wholly disappointed with the New World Trade Center; we will live to regret the final design. 0/10

22 11.46%
  • I am biased, but honest, and hate anything that is not a reincarnation of the original Twin Towers.

17 8.85%
Page 301 of 407 FirstFirst ... 201251291297298299300301302303304305311351401 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,515 of 6091

Thread: World Trade Center Developments

The Daily News article is sensationalism at its best, we all know the PA wants the stumps to be temporary. I can't imagine a four story building with a foundation that could support a 1300 foot skyscraper remaining 4 stories very long...err...then again the PA Bus terminal, and the 2 story retail box at 34th & 7th don't seem like they're going anywhere anytime soon.

What's ridiculous about all this backtracking is that the downtown office market is stronger now than when the rebuilding of 10 million sq. ft. was first officially announced. With the emotional momentum to rebuild the WTC to its entirety fading, we can count on the PA to continue to regard the site as just another piece of real estate.

However, I don't think it should be up to the PA to finance Silverstein's towers. I find it unbelievable that with all the insurance proceeds, liberty bonds, etc; he still can't put anything above ground. If the PA never took control of the Freedom Tower, would anything be rising from this money pit?

Anyway, I want the towers to ascend once the credit market recovers. The stumps are a waste of time and money. I'd prefer if they just build to grade and leave the sites empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    However, I don't think it should be up to the PA to finance Silverstein's towers. I find it unbelievable that with all the insurance proceeds, liberty bonds, etc; he still can't put anything above ground. If the PA never took control of the Freedom Tower, would anything be rising from this money pit?
    Funny how the whole thing has come full circle.

The PA wanted out of the real estate business, which is why Silverstein got the lease. Silverstein was never very enthusiastic about developing a (supertall) FT. His architect designed a building with an empty top-third, and then he wanted the PA to pay for the birdcage.

So the PA takes over the FT, will probably subsidize it for some time, and instead of putting all its offices in the building, leases space in tower 4.

It's like the 70s again.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider View Post
    Well, the meeting with Bloomberg might give the Mayor another chance to push for housing on building #2 & #3 sites. It would be great to see housing geared toward the middle class built in this area. There might bwe a glut of "luxury" buildings on the market, but there ain't much in the range between "low income" and "luxury."
    So on one of the most well connected sites in the world we are going to build subsidized housing so a few people can walk to work somewhere else?

You can build middle income housing anywhere. You can't even put up an office building 3 blocks north of the site. There's plenty of vacant lots in the area that could be proposed for middle income housing and built more efficiently.

Banned Member

It can as easily be argued that residents would benefit from living above well connected sites as much as any business. I also did not say "subsidized." I'm talking about quality building that can jettison the high-end amenities and sell for half the price of current condos. If we want to go to arguments about "subsidized" housing, we can look at all of the suer luxury multi-million dollar condos that are receiving 421-a tax abatements. We have more rich people that don't pay their fair share of taxes than ever before.

I have no problem with NYS Housing Finance funds actually going toward homes for the incredible shrinking middle class.

If you're gonna put residential buildings on the site wouldn't the tower 5 and performing arts spots be better to use than throwing out the designs for towers 2&3 and redesigning them for multi-use?

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

Maybe the new GM would like some space here.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/GM-chi...7534.html?.v=3

People would freak.

Banned Member

We got conceptual renderings for buildings 2 & 3. Can anybody state with absolute certainty that these projects ever started the design development phase, let alone finished it?

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider View Post
    We got conceptual renderings for buildings 2 & 3. Can anybody state with absolute certainty that these projects ever started the design development phase, let alone finished it?
    Wasn't that the work that Silverstein's team of architects and designers worked on in their 7WTC Offices for about two years? I recall it was announced that that work had been completed and it was on to the construction phase (pending the handover of the sites by the PA).

UPDATE Last updated: May 12, 2009 08:23am
    Silverstein: 2004 WTC Plan Must Stand
    By Cody Lyon

NEW YORK CITY-Responding to the buzz created by a New York Daily News story Monday that details an "incredible shrinking World Trade Center," Janno Lieber, president of Larry Silverstein’s World Trade Center Properties, says in a statement that the developer is "committed to the plan all stakeholders agreed on in 2004 and reaffirmed in 2006." Primarily blaming symptoms from the recession, the Daily News reported that Port Authority of New York and New Jersey wants to do away with three skyscrapers at the site by shrinking Towers 2 and 3 to four or five-floor stumps, suited more for retail than office.
    But sources familiar with Port Authority goings-on tell GlobeSt.com that the information in the Daily News story has been in the public domain for weeks, if not months. They say that the Port Authority’s position is that Silverstein’s Tower 4 should be built while 2 and 3 shouldn’t move up to skyscraper status until there’s a market to handle the office space Downtown.
    In a statement issued Monday, the Port Authority says its "responsibility is to focus public resources on the projects that have the most public benefit, meaning keeping the memorial and other public projects moving forward and building office space and retail to meet the market." Further, the statement asserts that Silverstein Properties’ "responsibility is to privately finance and build three towers."
    For its part, Silverstein’s World Trade Center Properties says via Lieber that fully developing the site called Ground Zero is "essential so that Downtown can re-emerge as an economic powerhouse for New York City." Speaking to the 2006 agreement, Lieber adds that the Port Authority "received more than $2 billion out of the rebuilding fund based on their promise to cooperate in executing that exact vision. Now, with 10,000 construction workers standing ready to get to work, there is absolutely no reason for turning our backs on the promises."
    In 2006, Silverstein signed over development rights for Tower 5--to be built on the site of the former Deutsche Bank building at 130 Liberty St.--as well as One World Trade Center, also called the Freedom Tower, to the Port Authority. The latest plans for the 130 Liberty site were revealed in June 2007, when JPMorgan Chase said it would develop a new world headquarters there. But when Chase bought Bear Stearns in 2008 following Bear’s collapse, the bank reportedly began seriously considering moving its investment-banking unit to 383 Madison Ave.
    Tower 5--the building planned for the 130 Liberty site where the Deutsche Bank building has been under de-construction since March 2007--has been scrapped for the foreseeable future.

I find it unbelievable that with all the insurance proceeds, liberty bonds, etc; he still can't put anything above ground. If the PA never took control of the Freedom Tower, would anything be rising from this money pit?
    Exactly, for everyone's belly aching about the Port Authority they're the only one's doing anything. They cleared the site, they rebuilt, the PATH station, built another temporary station. Fixed the slurry walls, and have One World Trade Center above street level. And the best thing to come out of the whole World Trade Center redevelopment is the Calavatrava PATH hub, this design selection was entirely the Port Authority's decision with no input from focus groups or the LMDC etc..

The Original World Trade Center was not built all at once, Seven World Trade Center was opened for business in 1987 (almost 15 years after the other buildings).

Sitting in traffic on the Staten Island Expressway last night surrounded by trucks hauling shipping containers it dawned on me, all the money the Port Authority is putting into building office buildings in Lower Manhattan would be better spent building the Cross Harbor Freight rail tunnel from Jersey City to Brooklyn. That would benefit more people than fancy office towers in Manhattan ever would, get those trucks off the freaking highways. The highest asthma cases amongst children in the City are near the George Washington Bridge, it's the trucks.

Let the Port Authority build tunnels and bridges, that's their charter. Let the Trumps, Ratners, Silversteins build office buildings.

I still don't understand how these stumps can be cost effective. Isn't the first floor of a tower much more expensive to build than a floor near the top? Also, I would think a floor near the top would generate a lot more revenue in regards to rent.

So by completing only the foundation, below grade floors, and a 4 story podium, wouldn't they be spending a large portion of what it would cost to complete the entire tower? Once you build the base, I would think the tower would be relatively inexpensive to complete, and would generate the highest amount of revenue.

It was for these same reasons that I could never see 8 Spruce St. being capped at 40 floors. You've already spent the money, why lose half of your potential income?

and that is why the twin towers should have been rebuilt in some form from the get go. They could have almost been completed by now. Mess with the formula, and this is what you get.

In any case, the PA MUST follow through and keep their end of the bargain.

No slacking off, no reneging, no eliminating any of the planned towers, and no getting out of it. It's a done deal and it WILL follow though as once visioned by Daniel Libeskind.

The presently revised plan, that is. Take THAT, PA and just deal with it. Get over it.

To rebuild the original twin towers would be like re-opening the old wounds that might still be on the mend. Which is why they were headed off at the pass before anyone could try to set the wheels in motion for them to come back.

Also, they would be even harder to fill up than the first time.
    Last edited by Daquan13; May 12th, 2009 at 07:16 PM.

and that is why the twin towers should have been rebuilt in some form from the get go. They could have almost been completed by now. Mess with the formula, and this is what you get.
    Pa- lezzzz- what a load- no matter what was chosen to be rebuilt, we would still be in the same mess-
    Once the PA (or any other NY government agency) gets involved, you can be sure of two things-
    the money will run out, and it will always be a never ending fiasco of lateness, redrafts, and major disappointment.