View Poll Results: Construction is underway, how do you feel about the final design for the WTC site?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am more than satisfied; I believe that the final design surpasses that of the original World Trade Center. 10/10

50 26.04%
  • While nothing may ever live up to the Twin Towers, I am wholly satisfied with the new World Trade Center; it is a new symbol for a new era. 7/10

55 28.65%
  • I have come to terms with the new World Trade Center; although it has a number of flaws, I find the design to be acceptable. 5/10

48 25.00%
  • I am wholly disappointed with the New World Trade Center; we will live to regret the final design. 0/10

22 11.46%
  • I am biased, but honest, and hate anything that is not a reincarnation of the original Twin Towers.

17 8.85%
Page 303 of 407 FirstFirst ... 203253293299300301302303304305306307313353403 ... LastLast
Results 4,531 to 4,545 of 6091

Thread: World Trade Center Developments

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuy View Post
    Rebuilding was a difficult question at the time and still is, and if you supported it at the time the simplist and most recognized design was the best form in which to sell to all sides and push through the process: two identical rectangular forms. Doesn't matter what's inside; you just sell and market the two identical rectangles.
    In some ways, the world of 40 years ago was better than today; in other ways, it was worse. Reviving a "familiar" design doesn't change the process.

Imagine preparing federal and state environmental impact statements for buildings still under question as to their safety. The 09/11 Commission report, itself a subject of controversy, would have had to be folded into the EIS. You would not have been able to "push through" that design any more than another. It might even have been at a disadvantage.

'Eh! Eh!! This is about rebuilding, not an aesthetics excersize or other type of wish list.'

You either sell rebuilding the Twins or you don't, but keeping it SIMPLE moves and expedites the process along.
    Aesthetics was rarely the cause of delays. It was about money.

Silverstein didn't balk at building the original FT because he disliked the design; it was about money. The PATH complex wasn't redesigned because of aesthetics; it was about money. Same for the memorial.

When you talk about "selling" the rebuilding, you mean selling it to the public. But the public you refer to is only interested in aesthetics. The public that actually has a voice ismore interested in functionality.

And neither group is much concerned with the real cause of delays - money.

Either way, they would have faced much of the same obstacles and logistical problems: clearing the site to bedrock while searching for remains, shoring up the bathtub walls, designing all the new structures, rebuilding the train station and subway, digging foundations among operating PATH tracks, building with thousands of commuters within the construction zone, rebuilding an underground mall and link to the Wintergarden. Would Deutsche Bank still be standing as it is and causing delays along the southern portions of the site? There would still have been some sort of large memorial. There would surely have been changes and improvements to the rest of the site since everyone knew it wasn't perfect before. There would still have been big, fat contracts that keep paying no matter how slow the rate of construction is, or how many errors or delays are made. Nobody can say for sure that the process would be further along today had they chosen to rebuild similar looking twin towers.

I think that if the WTC was not attacked and destroyed, that the Deuchie Bank Building more that likely would have gotten a facelift. That is, it probably would have been given a new facade.

Like the Verizon Building has gotten.

Unhappy

Does anyone know any news how the talks about the future of tower 2 and 3 in the WTC are going? There are speculations that both are going to be canceled due to the lack of funds.

No, but........,

That more than likely won't happen. It might be delayed further, but I doubt seriously that the PA can use this bullcrap theory as a cop-out and try to get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    ^ I know that idea has been floated a couple times, but has not yet been taken seriously. Surely, if Silverstein Properties had lost the WTC settlement/rebuilding funds in the Madoff scam it would be on the cover of Time, Newsweek, NYMagazine, etc., by now.

I think a more likely scenario is that the WTC settlement went into the company's overall development pool and helped finance things like Silver Towers, 7WTC, other projects, paid for the architects fees, etc.. And if someone like Silverstein smells an opportunity to get free money from the government, it's to his advantage to make it appear that there is little or no money left for rebuilding.
    Isn't he paying something like 80 million a month in lease payments to the PA? That's got to be cutting into his cash reserves since he's certainly not getting that much in rent from WTC7

Quote Originally Posted by Ed007Toronto View Post
    Isn't he paying something like 80 million a month in lease payments to the PA? That's got to be cutting into his cash reserves since he's certainly not getting that much in rent from WTC7

Probably only from 7 WTC because tenants are in that building.

No doubt, that kind of dough IS eating away at his assests. I've always thought that the PA should give him a break, since Ground Zero has no tenants yet, and no money coming in except from 7 WTC.

Keep clear on Sunday.

Rescue Drill at Ground Zero on Sunday

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Published: May 13, 2009

Hundreds of emergency responders will stage an emergency drill this weekend at ground zero.

The drill, which will take place on Sunday morning, will simulate a response to an explosion at a PATH commuter rail train in the tunnel between the World Trade Center site and northern New Jersey.

Officials say there will be no sound of an explosion, but emergency vehicles will respond with flashing lights and sirens.

More than 800 responders will participate from the New York City Police and Fire Departments and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

The Port Authority says Vesey Street, on the north side of ground zero, will be closed to all but emergency vehicles. PATH rail service will be suspended from 6 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.

The drill is expected to last about two hours.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/14/nyregion/14drill.html?ref=nyregion

Copyright 2009The New York Times Company

May 14, 2009 12:57 PM

Silverstein facing uphill struggle downtown

Port Authority digs in its heels; the agency will finance one building at the World Trade Center but wants one of Silverstein's plots on the site in return.

By Theresa Agovino

Photo by Buck Ennis

The Port Authority is demanding that developer Larry Silverstein give it one of the plots for his three planned towers at the World Trade Center site in exchange for helping to finance construction of one his buildings, sources say. To win its aid, the agency is also telling Mr. Silverstein to exercise a lease option that would lock New York City into renting 600,000 square feet in the building that it may back or alternatively, to find another tenant.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and Mr. Silverstein have clashed over funding the developer’s towers and their feud threatens to impede building progress on the site. Mr. Silverstein has asked the Port to help fund two of his three towers but the agency has said it will only consider one because aiding more than that would hurt its balance sheet and put public money at risk in a private, speculative real estate development.

Complete article HERE

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...FREE/905149986#

2009 Crain Communications, Inc.

When they say "one tower" I assume they are referring to #4 and not #2 or #3?

I believe that is correct.

^^^I think they are actually talking about tower 3.
    From the article:
    "Additionally, the Port has told Mr. Silverstein it wants to take control of the site where he would build what is referred to as Tower 3 so that it can build a squat structure that would house retail tenants. It would give Mr. Silverstein the option of building an office tower or hotel over the stump when the market improves."

Just makes me so angry...

So instead of helping to finance it they are saying, "you still have to build it but now we're making it much more complicated and expensive for you to do when you get around to it."

Way to totally miss the point Port Authority.

No, the PA will finance Tower 2 if he hands over Tower 3 temporarily and locks in the city as a tenant for Tower 4. The Port Authority is basically bending over backwards for Silverstein.

Seems the PA has been CREATING more problems than trying to solve them.

A deal was reached around the time that the Freedom Tower started being built, and the PA went along with it. Now they've switched gears again and started more friggen controversy - Again!!!

They need to stop this crap and try to work WITH Silverstein, not AGAINST him!!