View Poll Results: Construction is underway, how do you feel about the final design for the WTC site?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am more than satisfied; I believe that the final design surpasses that of the original World Trade Center. 10/10

50 26.04%
  • While nothing may ever live up to the Twin Towers, I am wholly satisfied with the new World Trade Center; it is a new symbol for a new era. 7/10

55 28.65%
  • I have come to terms with the new World Trade Center; although it has a number of flaws, I find the design to be acceptable. 5/10

48 25.00%
  • I am wholly disappointed with the New World Trade Center; we will live to regret the final design. 0/10

22 11.46%
  • I am biased, but honest, and hate anything that is not a reincarnation of the original Twin Towers.

17 8.85%
Page 304 of 407 FirstFirst ... 204254294300301302303304305306307308314354404 ... LastLast
Results 4,546 to 4,560 of 6091

Thread: World Trade Center Developments

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    No, the PA will finance Tower 2 if he hands over Tower 3 temporarily and locks in the city as a tenant for Tower 4. The Port Authority is basically bending over backwards for Silverstein.
    I completely agree. Silverstein has no non-government tenants for any of his three towers and will not be able to find financing to complete the two towers not yet under construction. So he's asking the PA to tie up public funds by financing a few million square feet of his unleased office space. Of course the PA is going to ask for concessions. If they didn't I'd be worried. And don't get me wrong, I want to see the WTC completed as much as the next person, but the public sector should not be shouldering all the risk here.

I don't like the sound of having a stump at site 3 (it was my favorite tower after all), but it's looking more and more like a lost cause trying to build all four towers at once. I'll accept three of the four for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    No, the PA will finance Tower 2 if he hands over Tower 3 temporarily and locks in the city as a tenant for Tower 4. The Port Authority is basically bending over backwards for Silverstein.

But as of late, I don't think they've been doing too much bending over backwards! I think that they are trying to snow everyone. Again!!

Cool Meanwhile in Asia....

May 14 - Daniel Libeskind, architect of the WTC site, was chosen as master planner for a $20 billion project to transform the capitol of South Korea. The plan is to change Seoul into an international business district with skyscrapers, residential, office and retail space as well as cultural and educational facilities and a rapid transit system.

Wonder if he'll be fighting with anyone over there about how the spire will be placed on the building, if there is going to be one. Haha!! (Daquan13 sticks out tongue).

Relevance?

Default Libeskind - Original Architect of WTC

Very relevant. also time will tell. ... (comparatively speaking of course)

No its not relevant. Shall we post every project every architect is involved in in every thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa View Post
    Very relevant. also time will tell. ... (comparatively speaking of course)

Your're right, Sherpa!

Since we're on the subject of Daniel Libeskind, even though he's been paid off and sent on his way, he STILL manages to show up to Ground Zero when an event takes place, as though he still has input.
    Last edited by Daquan13; May 19th, 2009 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alonzo-ny View Post
    No its not relevant. Shall we post every project every architect is involved in in every thread?
    I have my opinion, you have yours.

No, its off topic to post about a project in Korea that has no relevance to the WTC other than its the same architect. Please explain how it affects the WTC in any way, shape or form.

Well, for one, Libeskind is not exactly the easiest one to get along with.

How many posts did YOU make that were OT? Quite a few, I'm sure.
    Last edited by Daquan13; May 19th, 2009 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alonzo-ny View Post
    No, its off topic to post about a project in Korea that has no relevance to the WTC other than its the same architect. Please explain how it affects the WTC in any way, shape or form.
    you said it... "same architect."

also, take a look back at page one of this thread. Lebiskind's name appears everywhere... from the first post onwards.

From Crains NY:
    May 19, 2009 3:31 PM
    Civic groups back Port Authority in WTC battle

In an open letter, they argue the agency should halt financing at just one World Trade Center building.
    By Theresa Agovino
    Several community groups and nonprofits told political leaders that they support using public funds to back only one private office tower on the World Trade Center. The news comes just two days before a meeting planned to end an impasse over the development.
    The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey and Larry Silverstein have been warring over the financing of the developer’s three planned towers, a conflict which threatens further progress on the site. Mr. Silverstein wants the Port to back two of his towers; but the agency has only offered to help with only one, arguing that aiding more would hurt its balance sheet and push it into a risky, private real estate venture.
    In letters to Mayor Michael Bloomberg, New York’s Gov. David Paterson and New Jersey’s Gov. Jon Corzine, the groups say they only want the Port to finance one tower. The mayor is hosting Thursday’s meeting to end the logjam.
    “With limited funds for redevelopment, the financial resources of the Port Authority should be devoted to restoring the public infrastructure to the site,” said a letter from The Regional Planning Association’s chairman, Peter Herman, and its president, Robert Yaro.
    The letter also said that retail development would “better respond to market conditions and generate profits and tax revenues.” The Port has said it wanted to build two multi-story retail pedestals where Mr. Silverstein’s buildings are supposed to rise, and the letter said that option should be fully evaluated.
    A separate letter signed by seven groups, including the Regional Planning Association, reiterated that no additional public funds should be used to subsidize office construction. It also said such funds should instead go toward transportation and infrastructure.
    The other groups that signed the second letter were: Fiscal Policy Institute, Pratt Center for Community Development, NYPIRG/Straphangers Campaign, Tri-State Transportation Campaign, Transportation Alternatives and the New York Metro Chapter of the American Planning Association.
    Mr. Silverstein’s spokesman didn’t immediately return a call. In a statement, a Port Authority spokesman said, "We agree with the principle that the Port Authority's public resources should go toward keeping the projects with the most public benefit moving forward."
    In the deal on the table, sources say the Port is demanding that Mr. Silverstein give it one of the plots for his three planned towers at the World Trade Center site in exchange for helping to finance construction of one his buildings.
    Sources say the Port also wants Mr. Silverstein to hand over part of his insurance money to help build the common infrastructure for the site. In return, the Port would build Mr. Silverstein’s infrastructure, stop his rent payments and give him the financing he desperately needs—a deal the agency values at $1.2 billion, these people say.
    But other sources familiar with the project say the Port is essentially confiscating Mr. Silverstein’s development rights for Tower 3 without compensation. One person familiar with the situation notes that the agency would require Mr. Silverstein to surrender all penalties the Port has paid for missing deadlines—about $100 million to date—and to waive the right to any future fines.
    These people add that the Port is only willing to backstop the debt payments on the one tower for 10 years, which could make financing very difficult to find. They add that building one tower won’t create the critical mass necessary to lure tenants and retailers to the site.
    The Port declined to comment on the negotiations. In a statement last week, Janno Lieber, president of World Trade Center Properties, said that the company has already made numerous compromises on the site and that the proposal to build two towers is fair, especially since at one point the developer was supposed to construct five. Moreover, the Port has collected more than $2 billion in payments from Mr. Silverstein.
    “As well as employing tens of thousands of workers, completing two buildings will assure that the WTC site is a finished, attractive and exciting place that helps, rather than hinders downtown's revival,” said Mr. Lieber. “That's what New Yorkers have been promised throughout the past eight years.”

I think I read a post that says Libeskind plans to build a tower somewhere out in California.
    Last edited by Daquan13; May 19th, 2009 at 06:15 PM.

Corrected it.

I've come to the realization that the only buildings we'll probably see built are the Freedom Tower and possibly Tower 4!

The rest, I'm not sure about, but this has got to stop!!