View Poll Results: Construction is underway, how do you feel about the final design for the WTC site?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am more than satisfied; I believe that the final design surpasses that of the original World Trade Center. 10/10

50 26.04%
  • While nothing may ever live up to the Twin Towers, I am wholly satisfied with the new World Trade Center; it is a new symbol for a new era. 7/10

55 28.65%
  • I have come to terms with the new World Trade Center; although it has a number of flaws, I find the design to be acceptable. 5/10

48 25.00%
  • I am wholly disappointed with the New World Trade Center; we will live to regret the final design. 0/10

22 11.46%
  • I am biased, but honest, and hate anything that is not a reincarnation of the original Twin Towers.

17 8.85%
Page 305 of 407 FirstFirst ... 205255295301302303304305306307308309315355405 ... LastLast
Results 4,561 to 4,575 of 6091

Thread: World Trade Center Developments

Sherpa, Libeskind is doing many projects all over the world. Should I post about his mall in Switzerland? No, because it doesnt have anything to do with the WTC. Im just talking to a wall with you. Stop wasting our time.

Banned Member

Default http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/20/nyregion/20wtc.html

May 20, 2009

Groups Seek to Stop Public Financing of New Towers at Ground Zero
    By CHARLES V. BAGLI

Some of the city’s largest civic groups jumped into the simmering dispute at ground zero on Tuesday, saying that government should improve transportation networks downtown and not put any more money into the development of speculative office towers on the 16-acre site.

Their call addresses an impasse between the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns the World Trade Center site, and the developer, Larry A. Silverstein, who is to build three skyscrapers there. Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg has asked that the governors of New York and New Jersey, the authority and Mr. Silverstein meet with him at Gracie Mansion on Thursday to resolve the latest dispute in the long and tortured effort to rebuild the trade center.

Seven civic groups, including the Regional Plan Association, the Fiscal Policy Institute and the Tri-State Transportation Campaign, called on the mayor and the governors to ensure “that no additional public funds are used to subsidize office construction on the site.” The funds are needed more, the groups said, for the $3.2 billion transportation hub there and a new passenger rail tunnel under the Hudson River.

“These investments will support new commercial activity,” the civic groups said in a letter to the officials, “but it is the responsibility of the private sector to absorb the risk of new construction.”

Unable to obtain financing for the towers, Mr. Silverstein has asked the Port Authority to guarantee more than $3 billion in loans he needs to erect at least two of the towers along Church Street between Vesey and Liberty Streets. The authority, which is already building a large tower at the northwest corner of the site, balked.

At a time when office rents are falling and vacancies rising downtown, it did not want to become involved with more speculative office space, especially now that its own capital budget is threatened by sharply falling bridge and tunnel revenue.

In a move that infuriated Mr. Silverstein, the authority offered to back only one of his towers, with about $800 million. The authority said it would help build Mr. Silverstein’s other two towers in the coming decades once demand for new office space increases, although the developer was free to move ahead at any time with private financing.

Janno Lieber, who oversees the trade center project for Mr. Silverstein, said Tuesday in a statement: “If, as the Port Authority apparently believes, the New York regional economy is permanently dead and buried, it’s hard to see how they can justify huge investments in the World Trade Center PATH hub, new tunnels, and other facilities designed to serve expanded commuter populations.”

Stephen Sigmund, a spokesman for the authority, countered that it made more sense for the authority to “put its limited public resources toward keeping the memorial and the public projects moving forward,” while building the office and retail components when there is demand for new space.

The two sides have not had any substantive talks in more than a month. On May 8, the speaker of the State Assembly, Sheldon Silver, whose district includes downtown, called on the authority to help Mr. Silverstein begin construction on two of his towers. But Mr. Silver also said Mr. Silverstein must invest some of his own money if he is to reap the profits from the buildings.

Mayor Bloomberg immediately endorsed Mr. Silver’s initiative and asked all the parties to meet at Grace Mansion within a week, a move that took Mr. Silverstein, the authority and even Gov. David A. Paterson by surprise. Most of the participants said on Tuesday they were unsure what the meeting would achieve.

Andrew Brent, a spokesman for the mayor, said, “If the stalemate between the Port Authority and Silverstein Properties ends where it’s headed — in litigation or arbitration — everyone loses,” and added, “We are convening the parties on Thursday to arrive at a path toward resolution that maintains progress on the site.”

The governor wants the project to continue to make progress, said a spokeswoman, Erin Duggan, but believes that “the public should not be the ones taking on all of the risk for private development.”

Quote Originally Posted by Alonzo-ny View Post
    Sherpa, Libeskind is doing many projects all over the world. Should I post about his mall in Switzerland? No, because it doesnt have anything to do with the WTC. Im just talking to a wall with you. Stop wasting our time.
    Yes, please do post about the Switzerland mall.. You've peaked my interest.

If I were to post it it would be in an appropriate thread, not this one. This line of discussion is over.

Looks like the rendering of another "Shards of Glass" complex.

Yep, The Attack of the Monolith Monsters!

NEW GLIMPSE OF WTC LOW-RISE COMPROMISE

SHORT AND SWEET: Artists' renderings show plans for six-story retail buildings at 2 World Trade Center (above) and 3 World Trade Center (below).

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05212009...ise_170311.htm

By TOM TOPOUSIS
    May 21, 2009

Here's the first look at a scaled-down World Trade Center -- with retail shops replacing two of the site's towers, under a new design the Port Authority will present at a summit today with Mayor Bloomberg and the governors of New York and New Jersey.

The gleaming glass and steel retail podiums would rise six stories above street level at World Trade Center sites where Larry Silverstein wants to build two enormous office towers, one of which would soar nearly as high as the Empire State Building.

Fearful that Silverstein won't be able to finance construction of the towers during a recession, PA officials are pushing for a temporary plan to create retail podiums between Church and Greenwich streets to fill the space and restore the streetscape.

Renderings of the proposal have been quietly circulating among some downtown officials and were obtained by The Post yesterday.

The retail podiums would anchor as much as 600,000 square feet of shopping space that would extend below street level into every WTC building and through the massive Calatrava transit hub.

By building podiums in place of towers, PA officials expect to increase the amount of retail space from the currently planned 500,000 square feet -- roughly what existed in the World Trade Center before 9/11..[snip]

Why don't they just make Tower 4 another Freedom Tower without the spire, make a 25-story hotel for Tower 5 and call it a day?

Don't those stumps look eerie? Like the scenes soon after 9/11 when parts of the towers still stood. this would be a huge mistake. Build expansive parkland wrapping around the Calatrava hub building I say!

Daquan...
    1. It would look very awkward, and not have the same relationship as the original twins had
    2. A second "FT" probably couldn't fit, if you want to keep Greenwich Street that is

Quote Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post
    Daquan...
    1. It would look very awkward, and not have the same relationship as the original twins had
    2. A second "FT" probably couldn't fit, if you want to keep Greenwich Street that is

Yes Sherpa you're so right, they DO - especially the one in the top pic!

JSssocal, why not? After all, what else can they themselves come up with that doesn't fit?

We've seen just about everything, and just when we thought we'd seen it all, now THIS! Those towers are beautiful! Why they want to replace them with some cheap and flimsy low-end ugly 09-11 look-alike shards that look like they're leftover remains from the terror attacks is beyond me!!

They should STILL leave the options there to build the planned towers when the economy gets better!

hey, as long as these new malls have a dippin dots stand, i am down with it.

a what what?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dippin%27_Dots

Then again, some are only looking at it from their stomachs' point of view.

TOWERS OF POWER SET TO CRAFT A WTC DEAL

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05222009...eal_170464.htm

By TOM TOPOUSIS

Redevelopment of the World Trade Center site took a big step forward yesterday as all the key players agreed at a summit conference to a three-week deadline for hammering out a compromise.
    "We cannot allow this to not get done," Mayor Bloomberg said after the closed-door meeting, adding, "It is intolerable to leave this hole in the ground."
    Bloomberg organized the summit at Gracie Mansion in a bid to break the stalemate between the Port Authority and developer Larry Silverstein over how many towers the bistate agency is willing to help finance.
    The summit invitees, including Silverstein, Gov. Paterson, New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine, Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver and PA officials, agreed to order their aides to come up with an agreement by the next summit on June 11. (more at link above)

I'm glad Bloomberg stepped up and had this summit. At least now we'll know what is going to happen. *knock on wood*

My guess is: Tower 2 & 4 built in full. Tower 3 plot either being left alone or as a stump () with the possibility of an increase in height in the future - ascending spiral be damned. I also wouldn't be surprised if we saw some changes with the Transportation Hub.

One thing that I've been wondering about, and maybe someone with the plans or who works with Silver can answer: where are the HVAC units going on Tower 2 now that it won't be cooled using the Hudson cooling plant as originally planned? There was an article a few weeks back stating that only Tower 1 and the Memorial would use the river for that purpose and that the HVAC stuff for 2 and 3 would have to be redesigned. It can't go on the roof of 2 with the current design, so I hope they figure something out without cutting the diamond down.