View Poll Results: Construction is underway, how do you feel about the final design for the WTC site?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am more than satisfied; I believe that the final design surpasses that of the original World Trade Center. 10/10

50 26.04%
  • While nothing may ever live up to the Twin Towers, I am wholly satisfied with the new World Trade Center; it is a new symbol for a new era. 7/10

55 28.65%
  • I have come to terms with the new World Trade Center; although it has a number of flaws, I find the design to be acceptable. 5/10

48 25.00%
  • I am wholly disappointed with the New World Trade Center; we will live to regret the final design. 0/10

22 11.46%
  • I am biased, but honest, and hate anything that is not a reincarnation of the original Twin Towers.

17 8.85%
Page 307 of 407 FirstFirst ... 207257297303304305306307308309310311317357 ... LastLast
Results 4,591 to 4,605 of 6091

Thread: World Trade Center Developments

He isnt Prince of Wales, his father is.

Whatever.

were they showing him the World Financial Center buildings perhaps?

Harry laid a wreath at the WTC site ...

where'd he lay the wreath? anyone see any pics?

the north and south pools are almost converged in the east should be closed up next week?

how much longer can the crawler crane stay in the pit? it looks REAL tight in there.

it looks like the memorial crew shuts down at 3PM every day. working this sat which is rare. why no sense of urgency? i assume this is a contract issue but the freedom tower guys go 6 or 7 days a week with three shirts at full boar.

Looks like he hung it on the cyclone fence on Liberty Street near the Fire Station.

Angry Daily News Article

Explains a lot if you think about how such illegal activity would impact actual work performed and time spent actually performing construction activities:

Contractor Bovis Lend Lease under investigation for overbilling on Citi Field, 9/11 Memorial

By Doug Feiden and Greg B. Smith
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS
    Friday, June 5th 2009, 2:31 AM

Prosecutors are investigating allegations of overbilling by a major contractor at the Sept.11 Memorial, Citi Field and three other huge New York projects, the Daily News has learned.
    Brooklyn U.S. Attorney Benton Campbell has subpoenaed thousands of payroll and billing documents from Bovis Lend Lease for five specific projects, two sources familiar with the ongoing investigation said.
    Besides the Sept. 11 museum and the new Mets stadium, the other projects are the New York University Medical Center, the demolition of the Deutsche Bank tower at Ground Zero and a mall in Rego Park, Queens.
    A Port Authority spokesman confirmed the investigation Thursday night.
    "This is an ongoing U.S. attorney's investigation. Our inspector general's office is actively engaged in the investigation," said spokesman Steve Coleman.
    The Port Authority is the construction manager of the $700 million Sept. 11 Memorial, and Bovis serves as the general contractor.
    Bovis, one of the biggest contractors in America, has ordered a freeze on multiple corporate documents, including payroll records regarding overtime, time sheets and daily work tickets, one source said.
    A second source said investigators were looking into allegations of inflating bills by putting in for hours not worked or adding on overtime that wasn't justified.
    The investigators also want to know about the firing of a top Bovis employee, Brian Aryai, two sources said.
    Aryai is a former U.S. Department of Treasury agent who was hired as senior vice president of finance and controller at Bovis in April 2008. He left to form his own company in January.
    His job included conducting internal investigations of fraud and implementing internal controls, his Web site profile says.
    Aryai could not be reached for comment.
    Bovis employees were told not to "discard, delete, destroy or alter in any fashion" a laundry list of specific documents.
    In an internal e-mail obtained by The News, company lawyers warned employees not to speak with the media or law enforcement officials about the investigation.
    Citi Field was privately built but subsidized by the city Economic Development Corp. through tax-free bonds.
    An EDC spokesman could not be reached for comment.
    Bovis is the general contractor on the $274 million Deutsche Bank demolition and was criticized - but not charged with a crime - for its role in a deadly August 2007 fire that killed two city firefighters there.
    The Deutsche Bank demolition is overseen by a state agency, the Lower Manhattan Development Corp. A spokesman had no comment.
    Neither the Brooklyn U.S. attorney's office nor Mary Costello, a spokeswoman for Bovis, would comment.
    With Barbara Ross and John Marzulli

Read more: "Contractor Bovis Lend Lease under investigation for overbilling on Citi Field, 9/11 Memorial" - http://www.nydailynews.com/real_estate/2009/06/04/2009-06-04_contractor_bovis_lend_lease_under_investigation _for_overbilling_on_citi_field_91.html#ixzz0HZMqQp Vp&A

In simple terms, what does this all mean?

There HAVE BEEN many delays and snarls, but hopefully, as far as the western half of Ground Zero goes, that should all be behind us now.

The eastern half, well, as we all know, that's a horse of a different color.

Quote Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
    In simple terms, what does this all mean?

There HAVE BEEN many delays and snarls, but hopefully, as far as the western half of Ground Zero goes, that should all be behind us now.
    I interpret it to mean that there have been a bunch of construction guys appearing on the payroll records either as "Ghosts" who do no work or there have been real workers who were overpaid for b/s hours they put on their time cards and never worked. Also there may have been simple overbilling by Bovis. This is just a big boondoggle and there needs to be instilled a real sense of urgency with real controls !

Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa View Post
    I interpret it to mean that there have been a bunch of construction guys appearing on the payroll records either as "Ghosts" who do no work or there have been real workers who were overpaid for b/s hours they put on their time cards and never worked. Also there may have been simple overbilling by Bovis. This is just a big boondoggle and there needs to be instilled a real sense of urgency with real controls !

Perhaps the only way that you'd know that is to go over to Ground Zero and spend a few days there just to see if there are really any slackers there just sicking around to collect a paycheck and are doing nothing.

Maybe there's a way to see if that really is the case, and have their bosses try to wean out the deadweight and make sure that there IS productivity going on there.

It might help explain why the construction project there seems so painfully slow. But I wouldn't be too sure. Even though there IS lots of activity there, it would be quite hard to see and judge just exactly who is doing what there, how much and how long.

"It might help explain why the construction project there seems so painfully slow. But I wouldn't be too sure. Even though there IS lots of activity there, it would be quite hard to see and judge just exactly who is doing what there, how much and how long. "

...and that may be precisely the problem.. those who know the business of construction also know how to play the Port like a fiddle.

I just want the thing finished.

The western half seems to be getting it all together, but I can't say the same for the eastern half.

Still a lot of red tape, BS, apathy and stalling tactics going on there!

I interpret it to mean that there have been a bunch of construction guys appearing on the payroll records either as "Ghosts" who do no work
    Unfortunately that means they have mobsters on the payroll, they have to have a source of legitimate income from someplace to keep the IRS off their backs. John Gotti was a "salesman" for plumbing supplies, which was nonsense.

Intriguing.

Rebuilding Ground Zero

Since 9/11, the Port Authority has received $2.75 billion out of Silverstein’s rebuilding fund based on assurances it would deliver its rebuilding projects on time. Having failed to make good on its promises, the Port Authority cannot keep those payments and also refuse to use “public money” to ensure a full rebuilding.
    Finally, Silverstein is not asking the Port Authority for money. We are asking the agency to guarantee our financing, which will help us obtain construction loans that we will be obligated to repay — at the risk of losing our entire interest in the buildings.

Cool, the PA picked my question as one of their Q&A regarding the Visitor Security Center this month. Mine was about the subbasement of the Deustche Bank building and it being backfilled.

http://www.panynj.gov/wtcprogress/q_a_intro.cfm