View Poll Results: Construction is underway, how do you feel about the final design for the WTC site?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am more than satisfied; I believe that the final design surpasses that of the original World Trade Center. 10/10

50 26.04%
  • While nothing may ever live up to the Twin Towers, I am wholly satisfied with the new World Trade Center; it is a new symbol for a new era. 7/10

55 28.65%
  • I have come to terms with the new World Trade Center; although it has a number of flaws, I find the design to be acceptable. 5/10

48 25.00%
  • I am wholly disappointed with the New World Trade Center; we will live to regret the final design. 0/10

22 11.46%
  • I am biased, but honest, and hate anything that is not a reincarnation of the original Twin Towers.

17 8.85%
Page 337 of 406 FirstFirst ... 237287327333334335336337338339340341347387 ... LastLast
Results 5,041 to 5,055 of 6089

Thread: World Trade Center Developments

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    Rogers on the scrap heap?
    Foster now. Guy CANNOT catch a break at the WTC site, can he?

Yeah yeah, it isn't a sure thing that it won't be built if it keeps getting put off, but I think the chances of it being redesigned increase the longer we wait.

lofter, I hope you and others are correct.

Right on, Bloomberg!!

Get on the PA for the extremely ridiculous snowness they've caused in getting Ground Zero rebuilt. Put the screws to them and make them come high or stay home!
    Last edited by Alonzo-ny; February 21st, 2010 at 12:08 PM.

I don't think the City (Bloomberg) has the right to say anything, they had their chance to take over the World Trade Center site from the Port Authority right after 9/11. The City balked because they knew it would be a long, drawn out (and expensive) project.

The City and Bloomberg can put their money where their mouth is and put up money for Silverstein, instead of asking for the commuters through the Port Authority to pay more of their toll money to a project 99% of them will not benefit from. If Bloomberg is so concerned put up City money, otherwise pipe down.

If it's such a terrible situation for commuters (particularly those from New Jersey) it seems that those on the other side of the river would be calling for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey to bow out and leave the job to NYS / NYC. Let NJ take care of their side of the Hudson.

Quote Originally Posted by STT757 View Post
    instead of asking for the commuters through the Port Authority to pay more of their toll money to a project 99% of them will not benefit from.
    Although I don't think the PA should finance Silverstein's towers, if NJ commuters are coming into Manhattan, then they probably work here. Whether or not they will work in the WTC, they benefit from Manhattan remaining a source of employment.

It's the biggest job engine in the region. Nothing else even comes close.

Quote Originally Posted by STT757 View Post
    I don't think the City (Bloomberg) has the right to say anything, they had their chance to take over the World Trade Center site from the Port Authority right after 9/11. The City balked because they knew it would be a long, drawn out (and expensive) project.

The City and Bloomberg can put their money where their mouth is and put up money for Silverstein, instead of asking for the commuters through the Port Authority to pay more of their toll money to a project 99% of them will not benefit from. If Bloomberg is so concerned put up City money, otherwise pipe down.

Well, it seems as though everytime an agreement is reached between the PA and Silverstein, the PA fouls it up.

What about the time when they agreed with Silverstein that the towers would all be built almost simutaneously?

If you remember, it was Silverstein who moved forward and ordered his staff to start the construction work on the Freedom Tower on the eve of the starting date - 04-27-06 because at the time, Pataki and the PA were playing games and stalling tactics.

And the time when THEY (PA) were in charge of sealing in the eastern half of Ground Zero with the bathtub. They had a certain length of time to do it, and didn't meeat the timeline or deadline. They had to pay Silverstein a penalty fee for not having the land ready for the other towers in a timely fashion.

No because of the present financial crisis, they are again throwning another monkey wrench into the things for Ground Zero by claiming that they can only afford to build ONE of the tower on the eastern side.

Now Silverstein is trying to work out another plan by offering to put up some of his own money. Want to bet that they'll find some bullcrap excuse to render that plan helpless as well?
    Last edited by Daquan13; February 21st, 2010 at 12:30 PM.

On Sunday, the TV show 60 Minutes will feature a segment on the rebuilding of Ground Zero, with Mr. Silverstein saying the failure to get anything finished yet ďa national disgrace.Ē
    Reminding everyone it's on now.

Wow...How deceiving was that report?
    They made it seem like the whole project is one big gaping hole in the ground, with absolutely nothing being built

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    Reminding everyone it's on now.
    For us, it was nothing new. I felt that it looked upon Silverstein more favorably than the Port Authority, though. Hopefully this will light the fire underneath the general public and Bloomberg to get things rolling. If Bloomie wants things done he needs to put his money where his mouth is.

Quote Originally Posted by scumonkey View Post
    Wow...How deceiving was that report?
    They made it seem like the whole project is one big gaping hole in the ground, with absolutely nothing being built
    That, too.

Oh boy Andy Rooney is busy being an old man on TV.

Yea, the coverage was pretty skewed. It's funny that whenever they showed the entire site, they conveniently omitted the work going on at 1 WTC and the memorial.

They could have made it worse by mentioning the debacle going on at the Deutsche Bank site, but there was only so much time - and the goal seemed to be to villainize the PA anyway.

Hopefully the coverage was enough to spark some public outrage that will motivate the Port Authority to change its goal to just getting the project done.-- Even if it means little financial sense.

The PA seems to have a tough time understanding that the towers mean more to the public than rentable office space.

I hate to say but I agree the World Trade Center site IS a national disgrace.

It's been 8.5 years.

Need I remind everyone that the original WTC took 15+ years to build?

Show me a comparable war zone that has been rebuilt in less time.

Well, if it is a national disgrace, I would put it near or at the bottom of a list of our other national disgraces.

Actually, Lofter1, I think that the plan was revealed way back in about '46 when NYC officials had first thought about the idea.

They just didn't know where to build it at the time and funds had to be secured, as well as oposition being met along the way. Even though actual construction of the complex didn't begin until August '66.

Forum Veteran

Crain's

Port and Silverstein meet over WTC impasse

By Theresa Agovino

Published: February 23, 2010 - 12:02 pm

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and Silverstein Properties Inc. representatives are slated to meet Tuesday to discuss the developerís proposal for ending the feud with the agency over help financing two of Silversteinís towers at Ground Zero.

The Port is not expected to make a counter offer but instead will drill in for more details about developer Larry Silversteinís proposal, which it views as largely smoke and mirrors, according to sources familiar with the negotiations.

Two weeks ago, Mr. Silverstein issued an agenda that included putting as much as $250 million of his own funds into the dealóup from an earlier offer of $50 millionóand using all of his insurance money on just two towers instead of spreading it out over three. Additionally, in a move that would save about $262 million, Mr. Silverstein proposes building what is referred to in various development plans as Tower 3, instead of his more expensive Tower 2.

Among the details the Port wants to know is how soon Mr. Silverstein could come up with any of the funds he is pledging.

The Port has offered to backstop one tower but said it canít afford to help with two, adding that it isnít the job of a public agency to aid in financing private developments.

Conditions are ripe for a tense meeting. Last week, Mayor Michael Bloomberg praised Mr. Silverstein for offering several proposals and criticized the Port for the delays, challenging it to step up the plate and lay out ideas. And on Sunday 60 Minutes ran a segment on the rebuilding of Ground Zero that was very critical of the Port.

However, last month an arbitration panel found that the Port had fulfilled its primary obligations to Mr. Silverstein and gave the two until mid-March to come up with a construction schedule for the developerís towers.

A spokesman for Mr. Silverstein declined comment and a Port spokesman couldnít be immediately reached.