View Poll Results: Construction is underway, how do you feel about the final design for the WTC site?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am more than satisfied; I believe that the final design surpasses that of the original World Trade Center. 10/10

50 26.04%
  • While nothing may ever live up to the Twin Towers, I am wholly satisfied with the new World Trade Center; it is a new symbol for a new era. 7/10

55 28.65%
  • I have come to terms with the new World Trade Center; although it has a number of flaws, I find the design to be acceptable. 5/10

48 25.00%
  • I am wholly disappointed with the New World Trade Center; we will live to regret the final design. 0/10

22 11.46%
  • I am biased, but honest, and hate anything that is not a reincarnation of the original Twin Towers.

17 8.85%
Page 356 of 407 FirstFirst ... 256306346352353354355356357358359360366406 ... LastLast
Results 5,326 to 5,340 of 6091

Thread: World Trade Center Developments

The Wall Street Journal
    November 1, 2010

WTC Taps Fuel Cells

High-End Energy Efficiency for Towers

By ANTON TROIANOVSKI

Silverstein Properties delivered fuel cells to the tower site.

Video

Late last month, six box-shaped objects each almost as large as a shipping container arrived at the World Trade Center site on six trucks, were picked up by a crane, and deposited at the bottom of the construction pit near the intersection of Liberty Street and Church Street.

The contents of the nondescript cargo: six fuel cells, which together will provide about 30% of the power for towers 3 and 4 of the World Trade Center office complex. Once the cells start providing power, the World Trade Center site will become one of the biggest fuel-cell installations in the world, the developers say.

Fuel cells have been a closely watched technology as concerns about greenhouse-gas emissions have increased. They create electricity through chemical reactions rather than by burning something. As a result, the major byproducts are water and heat.

Fuel cells already power some energy-guzzling commercial properties such as hospitals, supermarkets and bottling plants. But the technology still is in the relatively early stages of being used on a broad scale in commercial buildings because it's complicated and often more expensive than conventional energy sources. Delivering those fuel cells, the likes of which will also power towers 1 and 2, was a key step in outfitting the buildings with the energy-efficient technology that developers Silverstein Properties Inc. and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey will be touting as they face the daunting task of filling millions of square feet of new office space.

Constructing the skyscrapers with the latest in green-building technology was also a priority for government agencies and public-interest groups in the wake of the Twin Towers' destruction. Gov. David Paterson said in 2008 that the new World Trade Center would be "an exemplar of environmental sustainability" and that he could "think of few sites in the country where the symbolism of this is more important."

The fuel cells are one example of high-end energy efficiency. The old World Trade Center took in huge amounts of water from the Hudson River for cooling and energy generation. The new complex will include a smaller river-water plant to reduce the impact on the wildlife in the Hudson, and instead will take much of its electricity from the fuel cells, which use a chemical process to convert natural gas to electricity. The fuel cells are being paid for by the developers and the state of New York.

"If we can demonstrate that fuel cells work, that they can be highly effective, that they can achieve energy-saving goals, we hope that other owners of buildings and office buildings will choose to adopt them in the future," said Janno Lieber, who heads the WTC project for developer Larry Silverstein.

Tower 4, which is being built by Mr. Silverstein, and Tower 1, being built by the Port Authority, are scheduled to be complete in 2013. The timing of the completion of towers 2 and 3 will depend on market conditions. On Oct. 23, a day when three of the fuel cells were being lowered into place, another crane was delivering some of the trees that will dot the 9/11 memorial.

Write to Anton Troianovski at anton.troianovski@wsj.com

Copyright 2010 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved

Thanks, Darrly!

Interesting stuff!!

From Top of the Rock

From Empire State, outdoor deck.

And because, why the hell not, the 102nd floor as well.

Very nice ^

I'd love to see the vista from say ... Broadway near Spring looking south, from about the 80' point above the street

If tower 2 gets built, I wish they'd redesign the top.

Absolutely. The disunity of the diamond shapes is just weird. The composition looks forced and ultimately appears nothing more than a huge and very visible design mistake.

Not all diamonds can be perfect. I like Tower 2's design, and I hope it stays the same through construction.

took this a couple days ago when I was at the Winter Garden

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Very nice ^

I'd love to see the vista from say ... Broadway near Spring looking south, from about the 80' point above the street
    I have from right on Broadway and Spring, at 130 feet on top of a building that apparently has a Gap store in it. Any more closer, and you're going to have to post/PM me a map with a dot on it.

As a repayment, I want feedback on the glass on the buildings. The goal is to mimic 7WTC, since all of the towers are supposed to be clad in a similar material, but I've never actually seen the building in person, and it's glass so it changes appearance hourly. I THINK I've gotten it close now, but I need feedback. Exclude 3WTC from and opinion, because I still have to update it to the standards of the other buildings. Open the images in their own tab for a better look, all my stuff is now rendered in 720p, which because of the forum may end up shrunk.

What is that circular piece on top of tower 1?

^directional broadcasting equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by STR View Post

... from right on Broadway and Spring, at 130 feet on top of a building that apparently has a Gap store in it.

... As a repayment, I want feedback on the glass on the buildings. The goal is to mimic 7WTC, since all of the towers are supposed to be clad in a similar material, but I've never actually seen the building in person, and it's glass so it changes appearance hourly. I THINK I've gotten it close now, but I need feedback.
    Thank you MUCH! My perspective is a tad lower -- if I stick my head out the window I can just barely see the top of 7WTC (there are some buildings in my immediate area that block that one). So my view of the glass at 7WTC is generally from the street closer up. But since this is from the north where the direct sun hardly ever hits (only sometimes during early morning hours) the glass appears entirely different than the way it's seen from the more photographed angles to the south.

If I lean out over the window sill really far then I can see the Woolworth, too, full view -- as it's a clear shot down Broadway.

Draw a line across the flat tops of 7WTC and the ATT Long Lines Thomas / Church Street building (and the point of the Woolworth) and that gives a really good indication of what will be seen from my fire escape.

Thanks again! Any other feedback needed, just ask.

^So...how does the glass physically appear then? More/less transparent? More/less blue? Darker/Lighter?