View Poll Results: Construction is underway, how do you feel about the final design for the WTC site?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am more than satisfied; I believe that the final design surpasses that of the original World Trade Center. 10/10

50 26.04%
  • While nothing may ever live up to the Twin Towers, I am wholly satisfied with the new World Trade Center; it is a new symbol for a new era. 7/10

55 28.65%
  • I have come to terms with the new World Trade Center; although it has a number of flaws, I find the design to be acceptable. 5/10

48 25.00%
  • I am wholly disappointed with the New World Trade Center; we will live to regret the final design. 0/10

22 11.46%
  • I am biased, but honest, and hate anything that is not a reincarnation of the original Twin Towers.

17 8.85%
Page 357 of 407 FirstFirst ... 257307347353354355356357358359360361367 ... LastLast
Results 5,341 to 5,355 of 6091

Thread: World Trade Center Developments

Starphire glass is completely transparent when viewd head on- at the most it gives off
    a sapphire blue glow around the edges (instead of the usual lead green),
    Therefore it appears almost completely invisible, or reflects and takes on the colour of its surroundings.
    Here is a link to the manufacturer with some pics of the glass being used.
    http://www.ppg.com/corporate/ideasca...Starphire.aspx

^Thanks. Basically, I have to describe the glass (albeit numerically, but it's all shorthand for a verbal description), and your personal description of the stuff was incredibly helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by STR View Post
    The goal is to mimic 7WTC, since all of the towers are supposed to be clad in a similar material, but I've never actually seen the building in person, and it's glass so it changes appearance hourly.
    Although 7WTC and 1WTC are using low-iron glass, the appearance of the two facades will probably be very different.

1WTC won't have the stainless steel reflective spandrels that are used on 7WTC.

Yeah, all the facades are getting different treatments, but with essentially identical materials. Stainless steel and low-e glass. I like what Foster is doing, the mullions are foot long fins sticking out from the glass that, when viewed obliquely, appear as an almost solid metal facade, evocative of the Twin Tower's aluminum cladding. It also helps bridge the gap from the almost featureless Tower 1, to the overtextured Tower 3.

I title this: Fun with the "merge" function.
    Last edited by STR; November 12th, 2010 at 06:34 AM.

There go the ball fields in Battery Park City!

STR: How much did you have to reduce the Burj to get it into the pic?

None. That's at 1:1 scale. You're looking at one of the wings edge-on, so it looks thinner than you might expect, but I didn't mess with anything.

New York Post
    November 16, 2010

Security or access?

Concern over WTC fortress

By Steve Cuozzo

Observers worry that the new WTC security will look like this 2004 photo at the New York Stock Exchange.

A secret NYPD effort to evaluate the impact of proposed security measures at the new World Trade Center is giving site participants and other downtown players the jitters.

Executives and business advocates hoping to see a great new complex rise and thrive, fear the prospect of barricades, vehicle-screening turntables and closed streets like those around the New York Stock Exchange.

"Far from reassuring prospective tenants, they will scare them away," is the unanimous refrain.

Two weeks ago, the NYPD quietly put out a request for proposals to environmental consulting firms -- a step toward evaluating the effect of proposed new security measures on matters such as air quality and traffic.

Although few have actually read the RFP, its mere existence has set off tremors among WTC rebuilding advocates who fear that over-restrictive security plans could damage prospects for the site just as redevelopment is finally taking off.

An earlier, LMDC-commissioned environmental impact statement turned stale in 2008, after the NYPD was tapped to oversee WTC security under a deal between Mayor Bloomberg and the Port Authority.

Some downtown rebuilding officials, as well as real estate executives and business advocates, now fear that what's called the "Campus Security Plan" will create "war zone" conditions at the site and even on Church Street outside of it.

Yesterday, Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver said, "It goes without saying that ensuring the security of Lower Manhattan is critically important, but there has to be a balance between security and the very real need for access. Right now, there is a critical need for more transparency from the NYPD about their plans."

No one doubts the NYPD's clout. In 2004 -- even before it was given the lead security role -- it forced a complete redesign of 1 WTC, then called the Freedom Tower, setting the already delayed project back another year.

Sources said nothing in talks ongoing between the PA and the NYPD is final. But one said, "There will definitely be some level of change to the open-street grid under Ray Kelly's plan. Exactly what form and shape it will take is unknown. They're still on the first 10 yards."

A different source said that Condé Nast -- the most desired prospective tenant, potentially taking 1 million square feet at 1 WTC -- is not yet a party to the talks, but would be drawn in once the PA and the NYPD come up with a plan both can live with.

The tension is ratcheting up as marketing efforts for the office towers go into full swing. The PA's 1 WTC is soaring and Larry Silverstein's 4 WTC has reached the seventh floor -- the first office level.

While a Cushman & Wakefield team led by Tara Stacom jug gles offers at 1 WTC for the PA and its partner Douglas Durst, sources said Sil verstein has decided to tap a crack CB Richard Ellis team, probably headed by Mary Ann Tighe and Stephen B. Siegel, for both 4 WTC and planned 3 WTC, although it won't be announced until 2011.

The NYPD did not respond to a request for comment. All other parties declined to comment.

Copyright 2010 NYP Holdings, Inc.

NYPD will win out on this one ...

Sources said nothing in talks ongoing between the PA and the NYPD is final. But one said, "There will definitely be some level of change to the open-street grid under Ray Kelly's plan.

Don't even think about trying to drive south of Chambers Street, unless you stick to the perimeter hiways.

They could close Fulton St to all traffic with minor impact. Left open, it would become a shortcut to West St. Good idea to run a shuttle bus the length of Fulton St.

Closing off Greenwich St is another matter altogether.

As I understand it, Vesey St will be one-way east and one-way west at the West Broadway intersection. West Broadway is a major southbound route. Traffic that wants to go south of the WTC would have to divert to Broadway, which already has a lot of traffic, or out to the perimeter West St, which would make it difficult to reenter the street grid.

The area of Greenwich St south of Liberty St will have the same problem as existed with the original WTC.

I'm thinking that's why they restored Fulton Street in the first place, because Vesey looks like a one-way in all the renders. Liberty was a two-way, and plans to still be one. Closing off Greenwich would be a pretty bad idea, since they spent years trying to restore the neighborhood anyway.

In due time, activists will have their way with one. Sure, there's no superblock to protect the buildings anymore, but they really should've thought this through when they reopened the street grid.

Well, all the buildings are set back a distance from the street by at least 20 feet, and if you look at all the renders you'll see these little minimalist cubes on the sidewalk oriented perpendicular to the street. Those are solid concrete and will stop any vehicle from getting closer than that 20. Throw in the laminated glass in the lobbies that will crumble like a windshield rather than become shrapnel, and I'm not sure what the police think they can do that hasn't already been taken into consideration.

From the size of that guy's biceps in the bottom pic, I'd say that he's been working out hard and that he looks intimidating enough to stop ANYONE from even thinking about an attack on the new WTC!! Hah!

#5347 looks great I say build it

How much do you want to bet that you'll ever see a building as tall the Burj Dubai built anywhere in this country?

Not a snowball's chance in hell! The gov't is too much of a chicken to even consider it!! Hah!

^^^^Why would they be chicken? It's already at 100 stories. Not exactly inconspicuous, although this building couldn't be inconspicuous even if it were 50 stories, but what's another 60-70 stories? Not a matter of if, but when.