View Poll Results: Construction is underway, how do you feel about the final design for the WTC site?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am more than satisfied; I believe that the final design surpasses that of the original World Trade Center. 10/10

50 26.04%
  • While nothing may ever live up to the Twin Towers, I am wholly satisfied with the new World Trade Center; it is a new symbol for a new era. 7/10

55 28.65%
  • I have come to terms with the new World Trade Center; although it has a number of flaws, I find the design to be acceptable. 5/10

48 25.00%
  • I am wholly disappointed with the New World Trade Center; we will live to regret the final design. 0/10

22 11.46%
  • I am biased, but honest, and hate anything that is not a reincarnation of the original Twin Towers.

17 8.85%
Page 395 of 407 FirstFirst ... 295345385391392393394395396397398399405 ... LastLast
Results 5,911 to 5,925 of 6091

Thread: World Trade Center Developments

Removing that bridge takes away one of the great vantage points for views & photos of the memorial site (at the top of the stairs on the west end of the bridge).

View north up West Broadway. It went a bit further south back then. That's the 9th Ave El running along Greenwich St, and Fulton St left to right.

A little nook for the security booth.

I'm sure it'll be nicely landscaped. Maybe window boxes with geraniums? A boutonniere for the uniform?

Jeez, every nook. It's not going to be fun down there.

Today the earthcam shows that the asphalt crossover has been removed, and the northbound lanes of West Street are running continuous past the WTC:

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/...nter/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    You may have noticed on Earthcam that the West St median is paved with asphalt in the area at Fulton St.

This is a temporary detour over the next two weekends, during which the Vesey St bridge will be taken down.

The southbound lanes of West Street, between Murray and Vesey Streets, will be closed this weekend from 8pm on Friday, November 15 to 5am on Monday, November 18. The western span of the bridge will be removed. On the following weekend, the northbound lanes will be closed, and the eastern span removed.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    I'm sure it'll be nicely landscaped. Maybe window boxes with geraniums? A boutonniere for the uniform?
    Laugh of the day .

Not a pillbox with machine guns and anti-tank capabilities?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed007Toronto View Post
    Not a pillbox with machine guns and anti-tank capabilities?
    I wouldn't be surprised if they have that too, but it wouldn't be that obvious.

I think more interesting, to me, is that there are prefab pieces with the stone veneer set into concrete blocks that fit together on site. That's pretty neat.

Associated Press
    January 9, 2014

World Trade Center security at center of New Yorkers' lawsuit

NEW YORK -- New Yorkers living around the rebuilt World Trade Center are fighting what they call the "fortresslike" security planned for their neighborhood. They say the $40 million barrier would block them in.

Residents have sued the New York Police Department, the city and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which runs the trade center.

In Manhattan state Supreme Court on Thursday, members of the World Trade Center Neighborhood Alliance asked Judge Margaret Chan to stop the plans for guard booths, gates, fencing and checkpoints.

The judge didn't rule and said she'll first visit the site.

Longtime resident Mary Perillo says the neighborhood has become far more residential since 9/11. She says the security plan isolates residents while accommodating tourists.

"The police seem to be doing everything for the tourists at the expense of the community," Perillo told CBS New York station WCBS-AM in November.

Perillo told CBS station WINS-AM that the security plan will make it difficult for residents and their personal cars to get through but that tour buses will be allowed.

"It creates a situation where we've got up to 42 tour buses an hour idling in front of two high schools and then on the busiest corner in our neighborhood before they turn and take up to 16 minutes a piece unloading their passengers," Perillo said.

The NYPD and other officials have said security concerns must be addressed and that their plan will make the streets more pedestrian and bike friendly.

Ah NYPD...

In other news, it appears that they put in the traffic lights for Fulton Street. I see a long line of cars piling up every now and then by that T intersection, on the Earthcam.

Four short but high res vids. They are obviously from Westfield, since they concentrate on the retail, to the point where they abruptly fade out at the money shot.

We want to keep your focus on the stores, not the oculus. Shows how corporate minds think.

Cortlandt from Church to Greenwich

4WTC down one level

4WTC down two levels

Brookfield pavilion to WTC

Damn, these are frustrating to watch, for just the reason you describe. Would it have blown the budget to create two more seconds of animation which included the main hall? I was amused by all the fake store names. I guess no one has committed yet.

Are there enough big chains to fill all those spaces?

Pure fantasy.

Not a baby stroller in site.