View Poll Results: Construction is underway, how do you feel about the final design for the WTC site?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am more than satisfied; I believe that the final design surpasses that of the original World Trade Center. 10/10

50 26.04%
  • While nothing may ever live up to the Twin Towers, I am wholly satisfied with the new World Trade Center; it is a new symbol for a new era. 7/10

55 28.65%
  • I have come to terms with the new World Trade Center; although it has a number of flaws, I find the design to be acceptable. 5/10

48 25.00%
  • I am wholly disappointed with the New World Trade Center; we will live to regret the final design. 0/10

22 11.46%
  • I am biased, but honest, and hate anything that is not a reincarnation of the original Twin Towers.

17 8.85%
Page 403 of 407 FirstFirst ... 303353393399400401402403404405406407 LastLast
Results 6,031 to 6,045 of 6091

Thread: World Trade Center Developments

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

I'm surprise the fines are so small. Maybe that's the reason why they don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    I'm surprise the fines are so small. Maybe that's the reason why they don't care.
    I was in and around more than one of the incidents noted in the article (my phone was NOT ringing thankfully) but no one fears OSHA fines after an incident, they are pathetically small.

What they do fear, on normal jobs, is being shut down from working due to unsafe conditions. The fact of the matter is that, inside that fence, the WTC might as well have been on Mars. Unannounced access is impossible for anyone on the outside.

Company safety reps along with PA and Tishman safety officers have little or no power because they are afraid to stop their own company from working. Who wouldn't be.

...and DOB has no jurisdiction there.

If I've learned anything about business in the last few years, is that work stoppage on a site like this will either cause more controversy (usually when the light is shed on more pressing issues) or millions, if not billions of dollars in losses and man-hours. I think the crane accidents and subsequent shut-downs must've cost the firms quite a penny.

New York Post
    December 21, 2014

Public has embraced gorgeous new World Trade Center

By Steve Cuozzo

Yogi Berra’s eloquent observation, “Nobody goes there any more, it’s too crowded,” applies to the new World Trade Center. The only ones staying away are smarter-than-thou pundits who have no idea what they’re talking or writing about.

A visit to the WTC reveals gazillions of people swarming over every walkable square foot. They stroll over as much of the 16 acres as construction and security barriers allow, gaze up at the skyscrapers, photograph loved ones and, yes, touch the 9/11 victims’ names engraved around the memorial pools.

It’s a wonder, because the new WTC is barely half-finished and large sections remain impassable. The two completed office buildings are as yet little occupied. Stores, restaurants, and the 100th-floor observatory won’t open until next year. Neither will the Santiago Calatrava-designed Transportation Hub.

There are no public toilets. There’s barely a place to sit — the memorial ground benches are too low for settling in.

Yet the place swarms with life even on raw December days. Take Cortlandt Way, the new Cortlandt Street extension that’s barely an alley scrunched between 4 WTC and the 3 WTC construction site.

Nobody minds that it’s buried under, and narrowed by, a jungle gym of scaffolding. Everyone’s thrilled silly that a “street” now runs through the WTC, unlike at the old Twin Towers superblock.

Delighted visitors know something the city’s architectural and urban-affairs intelligentsia don’t: The politically warped, ideologically conflicted and bureaucratically hamstrung 13-year redevelopment saga since 9/11 improbably brought forth a much better result than we had a right to expect — or than we deserved. The abundant goodwill that went into planning narrowly carried the day over equally abundant greed and venality.

Learned cranks bemoaning the site’s architecture, politics and commercial-commemorative tension ought to pipe down and consider how nobody else seems to care.

The complex had to integrate a vast, solemn and cathartic memorial with millions of square feet of office space and a gargantuan transit station. The “another lost opportunity for greatness” crowd deplored the transmutation of Daniel Libeskind’s radical vision (remember knife-edged towers and 80-foot-deep exposed slurry walls?) into something more rational — normal office buildings and train station aligned in an L around a street-level memorial park.

What looked boring on paper is turning out to be captivating in reality. Even in its partly inchoate state, the new WTC is so ridiculously popular, it’s scary to think how overrun it will be when it’s finished.

Visitors to the memorial — 16 million since it opened in 2011 — increasingly means visitors to the World Trade Center. They stare enraptured at Fumihiko Maki’s gossamer-skin 4 WTC, which seems to vanish in the clouds, and at the spiky Hub crouched like a prehistoric bug at the foot of rising 3 WTC.

It might take years for New Yorkers to fully embrace it, but the rest of the world isn’t waiting. Close friends who were my next-door Manhattan neighbors until they moved to Florida a few years ago recently set me straight.

“We came up out of the Fulton Street station and our eyes popped out,” said my friend, an acclaimed photographer who often returns to the studio he still keeps here but had not been downtown since when 1 WTC was a stump. “No matter what you guys write, everybody in the world is going to love it. Even the dinosaur.”

He means the Hub, which I’d ridiculed as the “Calatrasaurus.” And he was correct. Most of us fortunate to have a media voice liked some elements of the WTC project but not others. If public taste is any indication, we were all wrong about the ones we hated.

The WTC crowds include tourists of course, but they’re not Times Square’s Big Mac-munchers. They admire the architecture and revel in Elmo-free people-watching afforded by the site’s open pedestrian circulation.

It won’t be long before locals fall in love with it, too.

Conde Nast staffers and other New Yorkers moving to 1 WTC have discovered a soothing oasis on their doorstep — the 9/11 Memorial that’s blossomed from its mordant conception into an easygoing public park. They’ll soon have a three-minute walk to a 40,000-square-foot Eataly and stores from Banana Republic to Turbull & Asser.

Of course, many deep thinkers regard the WTC’s various creators as hacks, profiteers and aesthetic vulgarians. A column in The New York Times this month by architect Steven Bingler and journalist Martin C. Pedersen called out the “Architecture of the capital ‘A’ variety” for falling out of touch with popular sensibility, and assailed an “archipelago of graduate schools, magazines and blogs that reinforce our own worldview.”

Their essay didn’t mention the World Trade Center, but they might have had it in mind. The “archipelago” includes wiser-than-thou architectural critics. The Times’ Michael Kimmelman thinks 1 WTC’s “monomoniacal” design stinks. His perception of it as a neofascist obelisk — “General MacArthur in aviator sunglasses” — can only baffle those who find its soft skyline profile almost too polite.

Piling on poor 1 WTC, environmental writer James West complains in Mother Jones that it isn’t as “green” as was promised. “What went wrong?” he demands.

Karrie Jacobs in Architect magazine, the publication of the esteemed American Institute of Architects (AIA), complained that the memorial has “too many visitors” and doesn’t offer “tranquility’ — yet contradictorily asserts it “lacks the energy typical of the city’s best public places.”

National Review’s Christine Sisto coldly dismissed the magnificent 9/11 Memorial Museum as a “failure” and “just a bunch of broken eyeglasses and dust-covered bicycles.”

Even nonideological real-estate reporters get into the act, proclaiming both 1 WTC and 4 WTC failures for “slow leasing” — even though both will likely be full within two years despite the site’s tormented history.

And of course a genius named Steve Cuozzo has repeatedly condemned the Hub as “LOL ugly.” But it won’t stop hordes from going shopping soon inside the whale innards-like Oculus big enough to swallow Grand Central Terminal.

Kimmelman regards 1 WTC’s supposed mediocrity as a “cautionary tale” in what happens when a “commercial developer” is “pretty much handed the keys to the castle.” Eh? Larry Silverstein never wanted to build a “Freedom Tower” and cheerfully gave it up to the Port Authority eight years ago.

The real “cautionary tale” is that for certain elites, no new World Trade Center will ever be good enough — no matter how well it accomplishes all it was supposed to, and more than that.

2014 NYP Holdings, Inc. All Rights Reserved

Pretty.

Tribeca Citizen
    April 27, 2015

A Visit to the World Trade Center Showroom

By Erik Torkells

The folks at Silverstein Properties invited me to join a tour of the World Trade Center showroom on the 10th floor of 7 World Trade Center. There are exhibits not unlike you’d find at a museum telling the story of the area’s rebuilding—and terrific views of the World Trade Center Transportation Hub and down toward the 9/11 Memorial. If you click on the second photo, you’ll see that the northeastern corner of the memorial—currently fenced off—sure looks ready for unveiling.

And I was fascinated by this roadway—and freight entrance for 1 World Trade Center?—that you don’t really notice on the ground.

There were individual models of the Silverstein towers (1WTC is the Port Authority’s building). Since 4 World Trade Center is already built, I didn’t dawdle over it. But I found the ones for 2 and 3 interesting; models give a better sense than renderings of the buildings’ scale and shape.

Norman Foster’s design for 2 World Trade Center (below), however, appears to be up in the air, as Rupert Murdoch’s 20th Century Fox and News Corporation would insist on significant changes if they rent there. Indeed, the Wall Street Journal just reported that the companies have brought in Danish architect Bjarke Ingels.

Construction on 3 World Trade Center (below), meanwhile, has reached the 15th of what will ultimately be 80 floors. The tower is scheduled to be done in 2018 and, according to that Wall Street Journal article, it’s 20% leased. There are renderings galore at 3wtc.com.

(Here’s a photo of 3WTC from over the weekend, just so you know it when you see it.)

We turned a corner to find a model of the entire complex. Here it is from the west.

And I annotated a version—because I’d wager that many folks aren’t quite clear on which building is where.

As I noted a few weeks ago, the sense of place is really starting to develop. What the area really needs is access from the north (beyond the lone one along West Street).

2015 Tribeca Citizen

Hmm. Where are those lovely gray ventilation buildings along West Street?

The 1 WTC model still has the chamfered corner base.

National September 11 Memorial & Museum on Facebook
    June 11, 2015

Shudders...

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic View Post
    Shudders...
    How apropos..... a blank slate to build something commemorative and monumental in one of the most important contemporary historical sites in the USA and between Ingels design and WTC3's "value" engineering (no more spires) it end up looking like some little amateur scribbling all over the blackboard

My gawd, how much worse can this get?
    Last edited by TREPYE; June 23rd, 2015 at 12:55 AM.

Remember, we have no idea how bad the PAC could end up being and the materials for the church on the south side of the site could end up being lousy (and since it's Calatrava, I suppose everything could be slippery - http://www.italoamericano.org/story/...latrava-Bridge - and the Greek Pope could slide off the stairs to his untimely demise as well). It can ALWAYS be worse.

New York Times
    June 24, 2015

A Crossroads Decades Gone Will Reopen at the World Trade Center

By DAVID W. DUNLAP

Construction workers putting crossing lines for pedestrians on Greenwich Street, which will be opened on Thursday.

When the chain-link fences are pushed aside this week, pedestrians will be able to cross the crossroads of Greenwich and Fulton Streets in Lower Manhattan. This is big news.

Like eight other intersections, the crossroads was subsumed in 1967 into the 16-acre superblock on which the World Trade Center was built. Since Sept. 11, 2001, its four corners have been occupied by rescue workers, recovery workers or construction workers.

On Thursday, the crossroads is to return to public use for the first time since ham-radio and hi-fi buffs swarmed the little appliance and electronics stores of Radio Row, squeezing past flower and food shops whose goods spilled out to the streets, resisting the temptation to buy a three-and-a-half-foot baby elephant for $3,000 at Trefflich’s animal dealership.

At the crossroads now are the nearly finished and already dazzling Oculus pavilion of Santiago Calatrava’s $3.9 billion transportation hub; a new half-acre of landscaped plaza at the front entrance of the National September 11 Memorial Museum; the full-block site of 2 World Trade Center, newly redesigned by Bjarke Ingels and already being called the “stairway to heaven”; and a parcel set aside for a performing arts center.

The World Trade Center Transportation Hub, seen from Greenwich Street.

The public will be able to reach the crossroads on foot from the north, west and south. For now, the route from the east is blocked by construction activity and staging.

Here is a prediction: the crossroads will instantly provide a popular photo-op foreground for Mr. Calatrava’s zoomorphic Oculus, whether you think the pavilion looks like a stegosaurus lumbering through the swamp white oaks or like a bird taking flight from the treetops — or simply like a Calatrava sculpture on a monumental scale.

“We feel great about opening it to public access,” said Patrick J. Foye, the executive director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns the trade center.

“Just as the twin towers were the products of their time, when the reigning architectural and urban design ethos was superblocks and massive structures,” he continued, “today people want transit-oriented development, access to public transportation, the restoration of streets and the ability of pedestrians to walk up and down.”

For fear of vehicle-borne bombs, however, the crossroads will be closed to traffic.

In the earliest days of the trade center redevelopment, planners urged the authority to recreate as much as possible of the 12-block grid that the original project had eradicated.

But Gov. George E. Pataki pledged in 2002 that no new construction would occur on the “footprints” of the twin towers, effectively ruling out the full restoration of Washington, Cortlandt and Dey Streets.

Greenwich Street, an important north-south route that runs from the Battery to Greenwich Village, was the first to be restored, when the new 7 World Trade Center was squeezed to accommodate at least a visual corridor, if not a through street.

And it made enormous sense to recreate Fulton Street, long the most critical east-west thoroughfare in Lower Manhattan, since it runs from the Hudson to the East River — and, importantly, did not bisect the memorial site.

In the end, the authority divided the original World Trade Center superblock into four great parcels around the Greenwich-Fulton crossroads. The importance of the intersection was recognized more than a decade ago by Kevin M. Rampe, then the president of the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation, who called it the “100 percent corner.”

Though the memorial formally opened in September 2011, the plaza in which the great memorial pools are set was closed to anyone but ticketholders until May 2014, when the underground museum opened. Construction had limited access until now.

“This will open up the entire memorial plaza,” Steven Plate, the director of World Trade Center construction, said on Monday.

Access to the plaza from most directions is regarded as “incredibly exciting” by memorial and museum officials, a spokesman, Michael Frazier, said. The Greenwich-Fulton crossroads “was always considered a primary way to enter the plaza,” he said, and queuing for the museum will eventually take advantage of the additional space that will be available.

Underground, an important north-south pedestrian corridor leading to and from the PATH terminal will open in mid-July, said Erica Dumas, a spokeswoman for the authority.

At street level, a temporary blocklong pedestrian chute will guide pedestrians arriving from Vesey Street, to the north. The southern approach will be along Greenwich Street, which looks like a New York street, with a roadbed, curb stones and anti-terrorist bollards.

Yet on Monday something appeared unfamiliar about the scene along a part of the street that is already open to pedestrians. Glenn P. Guzi, a program director of the Port Authority, identified the anomaly.

People were using the crosswalk, he noted in amazement.

Ah, that was it. New Yorkers hadn’t shown up yet.

2015 The New York Times Company