View Poll Results: Construction is underway, how do you feel about the final design for the WTC site?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am more than satisfied; I believe that the final design surpasses that of the original World Trade Center. 10/10

50 26.04%
  • While nothing may ever live up to the Twin Towers, I am wholly satisfied with the new World Trade Center; it is a new symbol for a new era. 7/10

55 28.65%
  • I have come to terms with the new World Trade Center; although it has a number of flaws, I find the design to be acceptable. 5/10

48 25.00%
  • I am wholly disappointed with the New World Trade Center; we will live to regret the final design. 0/10

22 11.46%
  • I am biased, but honest, and hate anything that is not a reincarnation of the original Twin Towers.

17 8.85%
Page 48 of 407 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898148 ... LastLast

Thread: World Trade Center Developments

Quote Originally Posted by krulltime
    Governor Signs Construction Act For Lower Manhattan

CLICK ON PIC FOR VIDEO

AUGUST 10TH, 2004

New rules are being implemented for construction projects in Downtown Manhattan, with the intention of ensuring that high-quality work is done in a timely manner.

Governor George Pataki signed the "Coordinated Construction Act" Tuesday, which includes guidelines to make sure women and minority-owned businesses are involved in the rebuilding.

The act calls for competitive building contracts and a system of pre-qualified bidders to speed up the process.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg says the law lets the city move forward quickly, safely and fairly as Lower Manhattan is rebuilt.

Copyright 2004 NY1 News.
    I hate these payoff acts.

Requiring a certain % of minority or female owned/operated or otherwise occupied companies to participate is a blind contract.

It discriminates AGAINST qualified firms based on an unfair blank % requirement.

Choosing one company over another SOLELY BASED on race or gender IS DISCRIMINATORY! Geez, funny how civil "rights" people are so quick to ignore everyone elses rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge

Requiring a certain % of minority or female owned/operated or otherwise occupied companies to participate is a blind contract.

It discriminates AGAINST qualified firms based on an unfair blank % requirement.
    I don't think it discriminates against anybody, but it doesn't matter. Good for the governor...

Governor George Pataki signed the "Coordinated Construction Act" Tuesday, which includes guidelines to make sure women and minority-owned businesses are involved in the rebuilding.

[quote="Ninjahedge"]

Choosing one company over another SOLELY BASED on race or gender IS DISCRIMINATORY! Geez, funny how civil "rights" people are so quick to ignore everyone elses rights.
    FOR ONCE I AGREE WITH YOU NINJAHEDGE, DID U EVER THINK YOU'D SEE THE DAY?! This must mean you are also against affirmative action?

From MSNBC http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5843669/

Callison at WTC

Role on 9/11 site

By Jeanne Lang Jones

Puget Sound Business Journal (Seattle)

Callison Architects Inc. has won a plum assignment in redeveloping the World Trade Center site in New York City, giving the Seattle firm a role in designing an iconic structure on what many Americans consider hallowed ground.

"It's an exceptional project to have the opportunity to be involved with," said Callison principal Bill Lacey.

"Equally, there are a number of issues one has to be aware of at any given time, not the least of which are the tragedies that occurred there," he said. "We knew immediately we would be involved in something where we would need to be very sensitive to the desires, wishes and emotions the victims' families have toward the sacredness of that site."

Callison, one of the world's largest retail design firms, is the retail consultant for the early planning of the mixed-use project that will be built around the site where the twin towers fell. Callison also may get the chance to compete for the final retail design.

When completed in 2015, the $12 billion-plus project will include a memorial for the more than 2,700 people who died there in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. The project will also have a performing arts building, offices, shops and a transit station for commuter rail and subway trains. Construction started July 4 on the 1,776-foot tall Freedom Tower.

Lacey is unable to comment on the details of the project.

Callison was one of several prominent architecture firms asked to compete for the assignment in January, Lacey said. In late February, Lacey and Callison principal Stan Laegreid flew to New York, where they joined Tom Bowen, the firm's New York-based principal, for the interview.

The three executives were grilled by representatives from the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey -- which owns the site -- and the project consultants, Los Angeles-based Economics Research Associates and the Chicago-based real estate services firm Jones Lang LaSalle Inc.

"Their interest was in our ability to program and plan retail spaces in mixed-use projects, and our ability to be sensitive to the political and historical issues affecting the site," Lacey said.

Lacey, Laegreid and Bowen talked about other complex, high-profile projects Callison has done near Tiananmen Square in China and in Mexico City.

Jones Lang LaSalle senior vice president Cubie Dawson was impressed with Callison's experience.

"We interviewed four firms we thought had relevant experience in mixed-use urban development," Dawson said. "We wanted an emphasis on retail. We felt Callison represented the best of the best within that defined scope."

"They have a lot of national and international experience," he said of Callison. "I think their sensitivity to how you work with different architects and diverse constituencies really was something we all were quite impressed with."

Dawson declined to identity the other firms under consideration.

Just a few hours after their interview, Callison's principals got the call that they'd won the job and would start work later that week. There was little time to celebrate; Lacey was headed to China and Laegreid to Moscow. It was Lacey who called Callison CEO William Karst with the news.

"It was a great plane trip," Lacey recalled. For days afterward, Lacey's e-mail was crammed with congratulatory messages.

As Jones Lang LaSalle's retail consultant, Callison will help figure out how to coordinate the project's 600,000 square feet of retail space with other components. About half of the retail space will be below street level and will need to be integrated with a transit terminal for commuter rail and subway trains.

Lacey is the mixed-use designer for the Callison team, with Laegreid as retail designer, while Callison associate principals Charlie Krimmert is project manager and Michael Lee is project designer.

While Callison has worked on other prestigious developments, none has had the emotional resonance of the World Trade Center project.

"You cannot walk on that site and not be emotionally affected -- physically, visibly affected. Just standing on that site you realize something very catastrophic happened there," Lacey said. "You have to be able to be sensitive to that and still work with trying to develop your plans."

Callison website

9/11 KIN SUIT MAY HALT WTC

August 27, 2004 --
    A coalition of 9/11 families sued the Lower Manhattan Development Corp. and the Port Authority yesterday, alleging the agencies are violating a federal law requiring them to preserve historical artifacts a move that could halt construction at Ground Zero.

The suit, filed in Manhattan federal court, said that under the National Historic Preservation Act the agencies must report any historically significant remains to the U.S. Parks Service.

"The LMDC and Port Authority have not fulfilled their legal commitment for historical preservation standards," said Anthony Gardner of the Coalition of 9/11 Families.

The families are particularly concerned about protecting the footprints from the toppled Twin Towers.

LMDC and PA officials said they're absolutely complying with the law and have discussed preservation plans with proper authorities.

If the coalition's request is granted, construction at Ground Zero will be stopped for an undetermined amount of time.

The plaintiffs said the World Trade Center site will be designated a landmark because of the historical significance of the Sept. 11 attacks and the 2,000 lives lost.

http://nypost.com/news/regionalnews/27610.htm

Well if construction stops thats total BS, THEY are preserving artifacts!!!

I'd hate to see the construction halted, but if the families really see the need for this, I'd be okay with it. All most of us are interesting in is seeing these big buildings rise---but they lost people they love on Sept. 11, and if doing this makes them feel any better at all, I say we give them our support.

This article provides a bit more detail:

The New York Sun
    Copyright 2004 The New York Sun, One SL, LLC. All rights reserved.

Friday, August 27, 2004

9/11 Families Sue To Halt Construction

By JULIA LEVY Staff Reporter of the Sun

The Coalition of 9/11 Families filed a lawsuit yesterday in a last-ditch attempt to force the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation and the Port Authority to halt construction at the World Trade Center site until preservationists have fully assessed the historic value of the towers' remains. The lawsuit, filed at the U.S. District Court in Lower Manhattan, charges that the rebuilding agencies violated the National Preservation Act and broke pledges made in binding plans for the site.

"LMDC's decision to allow the Port Authority to proceed with the demolition, removal, or alteration of the subgrade slab and column remnants in the northwest corner of the WTC site without first ensuring that appropriate records are made that comport with the Secretary of the Interior's Guidelines for Architectural and Engineering Documentation, is arbitrary, capricious, and in violation of [the National Historic Preservation Act]," the lawsuit charges.

Unless all construction and deconstruction stops, the family members will be "irreparably harmed," the suit says.

"We are deeply disappointed that they would take this action," said a joint statement issued by the Port Authority and the LMDC.

The Port Authority, which owns the 16-acre site, and the LMDC, the state agency charged with overseeing the rebuilding and memorial processes, have worked closely with the family groups and have made many concessions, the statement said.

For example, officials have committed to preserving artifacts from the remnants of the trade center parking garage, uncovering the box beams that outline the towers' footprints, and providing the victims' family members the opportunity to view them.

Outside the Lower Manhattan courthouse yesterday afternoon, a small group of family members said officials make promises at private meetings but don't keep them.

"There are laws in place to protect historic treasures like these," said one of the plaintiffs, Anthony Gardner, who lost his brother in the terrorist attack of September 11, 2001.

He said rebuilding officials did not made any attempt to document or preserve the box beams before starting construction.

Rather, he said, they've drawn up legal papers "with so much wiggle room that they're essentially meaningless."

The first hearing in the case will be scheduled next week, a lawyer for the group said.

A bit of analysis....

These plaintiffs are asking a federal judge to halt construction on the entire WTC site becuase of their concerns with deconstruction at certain locations within the site. Although a sympathetic judge could agree with the plaintffs' claims, the plaintiffs do not have a great argument.

A party seeking a preliminary injunction "must demonstrate (1) irreparable harm should the injunction not be granted, and (2) either (a) a likelihood of success on the merits, or (b) sufficiently serious questions going to the merits and a balance of hardships tipping decidedly toward the party seeking injunctive relief."

That doesn't seem likely here, particularly because of all the effort that has been made to preserve artifacts, and also becuase the LMDC and Silverstein have initiated the review process - Section 106 - that the National Historic Preservation Act requires. What is the plaintiffs' "irreparable harm"? Concessions have been made to address the concerns of preservationists, and enough material has been preserved to fill a proposed museum at the new WTC. Moreover, are the concerns of these plaintiffs "reasonable"? Even if their concerns are reasonable - a big if - those concerns will be addressed by the Section 106 review process. In those cases I have seen (in my brief reading), if a Section 106 review has been initiated or completed, plaintiffs' attempt to block construction will likely fail. That is what I anticipate will happen here with the WTC. ...But I am just an interested observer.

Even if a judge agreed with the plaintiffs' concerns, the judge would probably limit the scope of his order to those specific areas (the former WTC parking gargae, etc.) where the "destruction of artifacts" is taking place, rather than issue an order stopping all work being done at the entire WTC.

I'll post an article below about the Section 106 review that is apparently taking place at the WTC. Hope this isn't too much information!

http://www.architecturemag.com/architecture/index.jsp

I think... It is not much but was the best I could find this afternoon.

Architecture
    (c) 2004 Information Access Company. All rights reserved.

Sunday, February 1, 2004

ISSN: 0746-0554; Volume 93; Issue 2

As stipulated by section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act, an independent federal review will be launched into the plans to develop the World Trade Center site. The act requires that the historical significance of the site be evaluated before federal funds can be allocated for the rebuilding projects. In related news, Larry Silveretein, the leaseholder for the site, has selected Tishman Construction as the general contractor for the Freedom Tower.

[quote="Freedom Tower"]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge

FOR ONCE I AGREE WITH YOU NINJAHEDGE, DID U EVER THINK YOU'D SEE THE DAY?! This must mean you are also against affirmative action?
    As it is? Yes.

Qualification just by race or creed is not a viable solution to the oppression these people MAY have had to endure.

And it is not the original perpatrators of these injustices that pay, it is you and me.

Remove the racial requirements and tallying and leave it be. Equality means just that, not giving more to make up for something that bears very little on what is happening today.

Forum Veteran

NY1

Cantor Fitzgerald Launches $7 Billion Suit Against Saudi Arabia

SEPTEMBER 04TH, 2004

Cantor Fitzgerald, the finance company that lost 658 of its employees at the World Trade Center, has launched a $7 billion lawsuit against Saudi Arabia for allegedly harboring terrorists.

The suit accuses the Saudis of providing financing, weapons and safe-houses for terrorists prior to the 9/11 attacks.

Banks and Islamic charities are also named in the suit.

Saudi Arabia is the birthplace of Osama bin Laden and 15 of the 9/11 hijackers.

The Saudi government has recently been cracking down on terrorist groups and touting the 9/11 Commission's finding that al Qaeda received no Saudi funding.

But the commission did say there are significant problems with Saudi Arabia's role in the war on terror.

I'm glad Cantor is showing some balls against the Saudis. I can't say that about Bush, who thinks attacking a random third country will make us safer.

Forum Veteran

Better than suing the Port Authority or the estate of Minoru Yamasaki.