View Poll Results: Construction is underway, how do you feel about the final design for the WTC site?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am more than satisfied; I believe that the final design surpasses that of the original World Trade Center. 10/10

50 26.04%
  • While nothing may ever live up to the Twin Towers, I am wholly satisfied with the new World Trade Center; it is a new symbol for a new era. 7/10

55 28.65%
  • I have come to terms with the new World Trade Center; although it has a number of flaws, I find the design to be acceptable. 5/10

48 25.00%
  • I am wholly disappointed with the New World Trade Center; we will live to regret the final design. 0/10

22 11.46%
  • I am biased, but honest, and hate anything that is not a reincarnation of the original Twin Towers.

17 8.85%
Page 59 of 407 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109159 ... LastLast

Thread: World Trade Center Developments

Of course, one could also take the point of view that it is you who are letting the terrorists decide what the skyline looks like - by bringing them into the equation. We are going to stick it to the terrorists by putting them right back up.

Consider - If some natural disaster or accident had brought down the twin towers, would we be considering replicating the exact buildings? But because this was a terrorist act, we have to respond to terrorism with architecture.

To me, this is the same patriotic nonsense that gave us the name Freedom Tower. If you look past all the emotion, the acts were not an attempt to destroy our way of life, or bring down the country - does anyone really believe that was possible? They want us out of the Middle East by drawing us into a conflict, and that has been accomplished. It is probably the major reason there have been no further attacks here - or do you think what happened in Madrid could not have easily happened here?

If you are arguing about taller buildings, then you have a point about terrorism, but that is an economic question - the reluctance of developers to go higher because of the risks and higher costs.

You are stuck in an emotional viewpoint that is not grounded in reality.
    but it wasn't the fault of the buildings. It was the fault of those terrorists, but some people intent on blaming the buildings.
    Objects are never at fault. They have no feelings, and make no decisions.

one cannot deny that the Twins WERE New York City. New York City without the Twins, is Paris without the Eiffel Tower. Simply, not imaginable.
    I assume that you are younger than the twin towers, so I can understand your narrow point of view, but in reality, they were only a part of New York, and for a very brief time. New York had established the character that identifies it today before there were any skyscrapers.

The energy of change, and all its possibilities has been the constant of New York since its beginnings. Walt Whitman wrote about it in the 18th century. New York during the 20th century has been identified with skyscrapers. No one can say what the New York of the 22nd century will be like - except (hopefully) it will be different - more so than Paris.

If you live in New York and continue to do so, you will discover what some say is a source of its energy - the pain of nostalgia. As time goes by, things will disappear from your environment, and it will be distressing.

That's New York!

NYC is not about tall buildings even though that's what's discussed most on these forums, NYC is about people and commerce.

NYC has is Diverse Multicultural communities living in a unified City which cannot be found elsewhere on Earth in such a scale, also NYC is about business.

Social Darwinism..

And Commercial interests are what's driving the design for the new World Trade Center Buildings, Silverstein feels he cannot rent space above a certain height so he will not build Office space any higher than he feels the market will allow.

The Commercial real Estate Market is the driving force behind the designs for the new World Trade Center, not National Pride or spitefullness towards the people who attacked the buildings.

Commercial Interests are in play, and that is so NYC.

As Zippy stated if you rebuild the buildings just as a F-You to the terrorists well then you are taking them into account during the rebuilding, in this case it's better to let the business decisons and not emotional decisions drive the process.

To me, this is the same patriotic nonsense that gave us the name Freedom Tower. If you look past all the emotion, the acts were not an attempt to destroy our way of life, or bring down the country - does anyone really believe that was possible? They want us out of the Middle East by drawing us into a conflict, and that has been accomplished. It is probably the major reason there have been no further attacks here - or do you think what happened in Madrid could not have easily happened here?
    I'd go further and say that the end goal is not solely to get the US out of the ME but rather to bring down the House of Saud and hasten the creation of the long promised grand caliphate.

Its hard to say exactly what OBL thought in that it is completely possible he simply thought the US would cut and run like in Somalia but it seems more reasonable that the attacks were meant to achieve 2 things. First, to draw the US into conflict which they indeed did. Who knows, we may have seen many more attacks if the US hadn't responded to the first one. Second, to position Al-Qaeda as a revolutionary rallying point to hopefully overthrow the current regimes in the ME - the whole "people back the strong horse" thing.

It makes no sense to say bringing the US into conflict would get the US out of the ME. Rather, I think that they thought they could bring about the collapse of the US through a protracted war in Afghanistan. OBL and the Taliban fully believe they brought about the collapse of the Soviet Union that way and think they could also do it to the US. There stated plans are still to "bankrupt" the US. Furthermore, I think they believed that the US actively involved in a ME conflict would prompt people to rise up and overthrow their governments, which would of course be replaced with Taliban style theocracies.

I believe that ultimately they will have indeed been a catalyst for change in the ME (their goal in the broadest sense) but I doubt that that change will be the creation of a theocratic caliphate.

-------------------

As far as terrorists dictating what is built at the WTC I have two things to say.

1. Rebuilding the originals is, more than anything, making a decision based on the terrorists. It is neither the best option economically nor from a city planning perspective. The only reason to do it would be to answer OBL.

2. The age of the supertall building in the US has been over for decades for economic reasons. It has nothing to do with terrorism. The height limits are what they are because that is the most economic way for Silverstein to rebuild and it will maximize his profits. The terrorist have had no input on that score.

If the WTC was detroyed by a natural disaster rather than terrorists and there was no loss of life, I can assure they would, even then, not be rebuilt as they were and their replacement would be much the same as what is planned today with the possible exception of the Freedom Tower name as well as the "skyline element" atop it - which is basically the political concession (and monetary concession forced upon Silverstein because of it) because of the general desire to flip OBL the finger.

Is the address to the Freedom Tower going to be 1 World Trade Center?

Because if it is, then that's what I'm calling it from now on.

Forum Veteran

If it's One Freedom Center, then we all have permission to gag.

We need a more dignified name.

Here's how I would make this plan respectable:

Freedom Tower: 2400 ft, 130 floors (the occupied part would only extend up to about 2000 ft, the rest is like the current top)
    Tower 2: 1800 ft, 90 floors
    Tower 3: 1700 ft, 90 floors
    Tower 4: 1400 ft, 80 floors
    Tower 5: 1300 ft, 80 floors

Now you have a 20 million Sq ft complex (that's 100,000 jobs) and we should get all the worlds financial companies to move there and make it a true financial center.

The memorial would stay the same only it would have more flowers and trees with a reflecting pool with a statue of the figherfighters rasing the American flag above ground zero. Then there would be a wall around the pool with Archway openings like the Washington Sq Park Arch. The wall would have the names of all the people who died on it. This would be inbetween the two footprints of the towers. How do ya like that?

Like it as what?

As a paper fantasy, it's wonderful.

As a real plan, see above.

2400 feet is awfully high, and thats saying alot, coming from me.

The design is respectable as it is, in my opinion. All I want now is to see it rise.

Quote Originally Posted by BronxBoy

1WTC! That's a thought. I vote for that over FT....any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by James Kovata
    Quote Originally Posted by BronxBoy

1WTC! That's a thought. I vote for that over FT....any day of the week.
    How about Tuesday?

Forum Veteran

Globest.com

Silverstein Emphasizes Liberty Bond Need for WTC Rebuild

Thursday, December 9, 2004
    By Barbara Jarvie

NEW YORK CITY-The rebuilding of the World Trade Center has become “the passion of my life,” said master leaseholder Larry Silverstein while addressing the New York University Real Estate Institute’s 37th Annual Conference on Capital Markets and Pension Fund Investments in Real Estate. “To steer your craft through very turbulent waters, your job becomes 24/7. It never stops.”

Silverstein expects to make a few announcements regarding the rebuilding process over the next few months. He said an architect will be named for Tower 2, the 2.4 million-sf 65-story building that will be the next to go up after the 1,776-ft. Freedom Tower. Among the finalists are Norman Foster, Fumihiko Maki and Jean Nouvel.

The first building to come on line will be 7 World Trade Center and CB Richard Ellis is handling the leasing effort for the 1.7 million-sf space. “A number of very active negotiations are ongoing,” said Silverstein. “We’ll announce a number of contracts in the near future. And he said a number of foreign companies have expressed interest in the Freedom Tower, which he called “a new icon of the skyline.”

On Monday, a jury found that said the destruction of the World Trade Center constituted two occurrences for insurance purposes. That decision could mean billions more in funding to go toward the rebuilding process, however Silverstein emphasized the important role Liberty Bond funding will play. “Monies are absolutely essential. We will still need Liberty Bond financing. It will be absolutely critical to get it rebuilt.”

In June, GlobeSt.com reported that during in a series of City Council hearings on funding for Lower Manhattan redevelopment, John Lieber, senior vice president of World Trade Center LLC, a Silverstein Properties company, issued a call that the funds remaining in the Liberty Bond pool should be allocated and preserved for the rebuilding of the World Trade Center site. It is anticipated that approximately $3.5 billion has not yet been earmarked for specific projects.

Has the layout changed any? (The WTC area, Towers, muesem, hub etc)

So much for the Freedom Tower ever holding any kind of height record at all. Thanks, Silverstein and Pataki and all you other weak and cowardly men! You've made sure our glory days are behind us!

Samsung to build tallest building

South Korea's Samsung Corporation has won the contract to build the world's tallest building, the Burj Tower in Dubai.

Samsung won the $306m(£160m) deal, after an 11-month bid process.

The concrete and steel tower will be part of an $8bn(£4.2bn) 500-acre project in the United Arab Emirates.

Workers have already started to clear the ground for the 800-metre high, 160-floor skyscraper and it should be completed by November 2008.

Construction work on the Burj tower will begin in January, and when completed it will be taller than the world's current highest building, Taiwan's 509-metre TFC 101 building.

The building will have a hotel, a shopping mall, offices and luxury apartments.

It was commissioned by Emaar Properties, as part of its Downtown Dubai development.

"Samsung Corporation's appointment is a defining moment and the tower is set to rise and change the face of Dubai," said Mohamed Ali Alabbar, chairman of Emaar Properties.

"The tower represents the next stage of growth for Emaar and will be the basis for future developments and act as a signpost for the ambitions of the region."

Dubai is proud of its adventurous construction projects, such as the seven-star Burj al-Arab hotel which has already become an iconic structure.

Samsung teamed up with Belgium's Besix and local company Arabtec to outbid seven other groups for the contrac.

BURJ DUBAI TOWER FACTS:
    800 metres (2,640 feet) tall
    Upward-spiral design
    Exterior cladding system
    Built of glass, aluminium, concrete, steel
    Designed by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, Chicago
    Total floor space of 500,000 sq m (5.35 million sq ft)[/u]

having the WTT in your city isnt everything. It is nice, but not everything.

Right now, Dubai is the hot spot for new and monumental architecture. I've only known about this city for one year, and it hasn't stopped amaizing me. They are basically constructing the Burj Dubai and an entirely new section of the city around it. When it's done, nothing will compare to it.

Check it out:

http://skyscraperpage.com/gallery/da...ubaiaerial.jpg