View Poll Results: Construction is underway, how do you feel about the final design for the WTC site?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am more than satisfied; I believe that the final design surpasses that of the original World Trade Center. 10/10

50 26.04%
  • While nothing may ever live up to the Twin Towers, I am wholly satisfied with the new World Trade Center; it is a new symbol for a new era. 7/10

55 28.65%
  • I have come to terms with the new World Trade Center; although it has a number of flaws, I find the design to be acceptable. 5/10

48 25.00%
  • I am wholly disappointed with the New World Trade Center; we will live to regret the final design. 0/10

22 11.46%
  • I am biased, but honest, and hate anything that is not a reincarnation of the original Twin Towers.

17 8.85%
Page 65 of 407 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975115165 ... LastLast

Thread: World Trade Center Developments

You missed the point. The "gotten rid of cultural space" is at the site of tower 2. What makes you think the extra office space will not go into the former cultural space rather than the top of the tower? Or do you think that the cultural space will just become open land? And why would the building get thinner?

Where do you think Silverstein would be inclined to put it?

Lots of questions for you to ponder. :P

Knarfor said that, and he usually knows what he's talking about. :?

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    You missed the point. The "gotten rid of cultural space" is at the site of tower 2. What makes you think the extra office space will not go into the former cultural space rather than the top of the tower? Or do you think that the cultural space will just become open land? And why would the building get thinner?

Where do you think Silverstein would be inclined to put it?

Lot's of questions for you to ponder. :P

Because office space will not go into the cultural area (the little building adjecent to 2) it will go in the main tower.

Because office space will not go into the cultural area (the little building adjecent to 2) it will go in the main tower
    That is not an answer - it's speculation. What I stated was alternate speculation. At least mine resolves what will happen to the empty cultural space. You haven't answered that yet.

Why don't you ask Knarfor?

Well none of us really know...you included. It's all speculation now.

If you look at the site plan Tower 2 and the others are quite thin.

On paper I look thin too.

When we're talking about higher, are we talking 80+ floors? If any building eclipses 80+ office floors (NO FAKE FLOORS LIKE ESB!!!!), Then I will be happy.

On paper I look thin too.
    :P
    Painful lesson learned over many years. Words such as thin, fat, large, etc, are minefields.

PHLguy: Of course it's speculation. That's what I said. Take a look at the Goldman Sachs site as an example of what I am talking about. A relatively narrow tower rising over a huge base (2 acres) of trading floors. The tower 2 site and the adjacent cultural site could be combined into one large base for the tower. Double the floor plate area - a big selling point.

so Tower 2 will be a fat short building...that sucks...

see everyone at SSP is always like the towers will be tall and thin etc...CoolCzech, Knarfor, Islander and people like that...I dont know what Im talking about never mind...

This is pretty dissapointing that the WTC will have such short ass buildings

I don't think that is what Zippy said at all. Anyway, IMO it is likely to have a wide platform base with very large floors and then a slimmer tower on top that will be shorter than the 1150 foot roof of the FT. It is most likely to be 1000-1050 feet.

I didn't see the point is trying to undue that he was now accepting my own speculation as probability.

But if indeed, that is what happens to the base, it might mean less interesting architecture at street level.

^But it would certainly follow the current trend of contextualism and building very standard looking, block filling buildings to keep the street wall for the first few floors at least.

I am sooo confused,

Knarfor's quote:

The general project plan was also amended to reflect the fact that it is no longer certain that a hotel and conference center will be built on the site of Tower 2, at Vesey and Church Streets. And 300,000 square feet of commercial development potential was moved from the Tower 5 site, south of Liberty Park, to the main trade center property, increasing office construction there to a possible 8.8 million square feet.

So tower 5 will be lowered 10-12 floors; 140-170 feet assuming 14 ft floor to floor heights. That is fairly significant. That 140-170 feet will be added to the other towers. However, if the spiral effect is to be kept, tower 4 will need to be lowered a few floors, tower three will need to be kept the way it is, and tower two and the FT will need to be raised. We will be seeing more significant changes than we have been expecting. Look for the FT to be taller, probably the 1200 feet that was said to be mentioned in an interview with Childs. Also look for tower 2 to be taller than expected, and tower 5 to be much shorter. The spiral will be way more dramatic.

and why would it be shorter than the 1150-1200 foot FT?
    Didnt Childs say the FT would be 1200 feet in his interview, not 1150?
    Why are people still sticking to the 1150 #?

Many models or renditions show tower 2 at 1100-1200 feet

Banned Member

Regarding anything to be built on any of the 16 acres at this very moment in time = pure speculation. There hasn't been a set of blue prints issued yet. Nothing we heard or read - nothing we might have heard or read - nothing is a done deal - nothing. Even the masterplan is in question. There is nothing we can point to as irrefutable proof of what IS going to be - nada - nothing - zilch.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    Regarding anything to be built on any of the 16 acres at this very moment in time = pure speculation. There hasn't been a set of blue prints issued yet. Nothing we heard or read - nothing we might have heard or read - nothing is a done deal - nothing. Even the masterplan is in question. There is nothing we can point to as irrefutable proof of what IS going to be - nada - nothing - zilch.
    You're giving the impression that the entire plan itself may be either changed or throw out. Do you really think it is realistic that a totally different plan will be drawn up for the WTC? I've grown to like the plan in place now and beileve it would be suitable if the heights of the buildings we're increased and the memorial was better.

In all honesty, even though it's pretty much a sure bet the towers will never come back, do you think the increasing calls for greater REAL height (Not false height, like stupid windmills or spires, I'm talking about real occupied office floor count and actual building height) will eventually come to make an impact on any revisons to the site?