View Poll Results: Construction is underway, how do you feel about the final design for the WTC site?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am more than satisfied; I believe that the final design surpasses that of the original World Trade Center. 10/10

50 26.04%
  • While nothing may ever live up to the Twin Towers, I am wholly satisfied with the new World Trade Center; it is a new symbol for a new era. 7/10

55 28.65%
  • I have come to terms with the new World Trade Center; although it has a number of flaws, I find the design to be acceptable. 5/10

48 25.00%
  • I am wholly disappointed with the New World Trade Center; we will live to regret the final design. 0/10

22 11.46%
  • I am biased, but honest, and hate anything that is not a reincarnation of the original Twin Towers.

17 8.85%
Page 66 of 407 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076116166 ... LastLast

Thread: World Trade Center Developments

There was speculation at SSP of a 1200 foot Freedom Tower and a 1200 foot tower 2...I would be more than happy with that!

As you can see tower 2 is about 970' to the very top in this photo, but it has the same amount of floors as 7WTC without the sloping crown. It will be at least 67 floors in real life which will mean using 7WTC's floor to floor ratio plus the retail at the bottom Tower 2's top floor will be NO LOWER than 945 feet. with mechanical and crown the tower will most likely be 1100 at the least.

You even said yourself when you saw the 1050 foot towers in shanghai that there would be "At least 2 buildings at the WTC that are taller than that" Why do you keep jumping too conclusions, we've been giving nothing to speculate on except for the NEW OFFICE SPACE ADDED TO WTC article and the Interview with childs which stated...

1500 to cables
    1200 to office building
    1776 to spire
    2000 to broadcasting antenna

If what is out right now is the final design they sure havent made that clear.

Is the observatory and new windows on the world restaurant still going to be at 1500ft?

Also there is a possiblity of an internship for me at som this summer woo!

As of now the WOTW resturaunt is at the top of the office building...The observation deck at 1500 is likely because of the amount of money it will get. Childs also mentioned at one point that there would be a "GLass enclosed Deck at 1500 feet"

Any chance we'll see any office floors above 70 stories? 80 stories?

I guess, nothing above 80 floors though, if they reshape or redesign FT and move some offices around Freedom Tower could maybe have 80 floors, If it went up at all I would guess 75 but maybe 80...we can dream.

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by alex ballard
    You're giving the impression that the entire plan itself may be either changed or throw out. Do you really think it is realistic that a totally different plan will be drawn up for the WTC? I've grown to like the plan in place now and beileve it would be suitable if the heights of the buildings we're increased and the memorial was better.

In all honesty, even though it's pretty much a sure bet the towers will never come back, do you think the increasing calls for greater REAL height (Not false height, like stupid windmills or spires, I'm talking about real occupied office floor count and actual building height) will eventually come to make an impact on any revisons to the site?
    All I'm saying is that no blue prints have been released. All of rumors about height are just that as are the rumors about what will or will not be built. We know that the master plan direction for the memorial has been totally overridden. The Deutsche Bank building was never definitively going to be demolished until recently. It is easily a ten year project. The world itself will likely change in this time - who knows what might be built or allowed to be built?

Although no detailed drawings have been released (they may never be - there is no requirement to do so), the transportation hub, concourses, and memorial are far along in design. There is an article further back about battles over inches of underground space. That would not be occurring if there were no specific plans.

The master plan is pretty much set, which includes building locations. But the number of buildings that actually get built, and their size and appearance, is just speculation.

Default 09/01/05

We don't even know what Freedom tower will look like, let alone towers 2-5. The only thing we know is 7WTC.

I think 5 towers will be built...he obviously wants his office space.

CNN
    January 19, 2005

Surviving WTC restaurant staff starting new eatery

Place will be called Colors

Former Windows on the World employees gather in July 2003.

NEW YORK (AP) -- Workers from the Windows on the World restaurant atop the World Trade Center have signed a lease to create the city's first employee-run restaurant -- only a walk from ground zero.

The workers, 34 immigrants and one U.S.-born partner, are calling their restaurant Colors. It is set to open in Greenwich Village "as soon as possible," said Mamdouh Fekkak, a Moroccan-born waiter.

"The architect is working day and night," he said. "We're so happy!"

Famed for its spectacular views from the 106th floor of the trade center's north tower, Windows on the World was decimated on September 11, 2001. Seventy-three Windows employees died.

Fekkak, 43, now supports two young children while running a catering cooperative that is raising money for the new venture.

"It's been so hard after 9/11, with some people still depressed after years of trying to find work -- odd jobs or a shift in a restaurant here and there," he said.

Another partner, Ataur Rahman, 49, is a Bangladesh-born banquet waiter whose Windows wages approached six figures. Now, he's starting from scratch to support his wife and three children, including a girl born last year.

"Thank God, we have some hope now. ... Good things happen from bad things," he said.

The new restaurant will have a menu featuring American cuisine, with changing specials from each of the 20 countries its owners represent. Each worker will share profits.

The surviving workers -- including waiters, cooks, food runners, busboys and dishwashers -- have been meeting in the tiny Manhattan office of the Restaurant Opportunities Center of New York (ROC), a nonprofit cooperative formed to help workers, mostly immigrants, rebuild their lives.

The cooperative is paying $21,500 a month for the space at 417 Lafayette St., about a 20-minute walk from the trade center site.

It also has raised almost $400,000 for the restaurant, while drawing a major Italian investor -- a consortium of Bologna-based food industry cooperatives that contributed $375,000. The Good Italian Food consortium plans to add another $150,000 when the New York group raises its own half-million -- hopefully from a January 25 Manhattan fund-raiser.

It'll take at least $1 million to start the restaurant, with another $1 million coming from bank loans.

Once it opens, the restaurant will not have any visible sign of the terrorist attack that killed more than 2,700 people at the World Trade Center.

"We will never forget our 73 brothers and sisters, but we don't want people to come and eat at our restaurant because of 9/11," Fekkak said. "People come for pity one time, but they won't come back. We want them to come to Colors because of the food and great atmosphere."

2005 Cable News Network LP, LLLP.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    Although no detailed drawings have been released (they may never be - there is no requirement to do so), the transportation hub, concourses, and memorial are far along in design.
    Since there is a significant amount of public and gov't funds involved in all these projects I'm sure a case could be made they're required to release drawings through the Freedom of Information Act, yes?

^No.

The requirements are met by the federal and state EIS's. The city ULURP does not apply to the WTC site.

I personally can't see such a huge project putting up steel with the public blind to what the end result to be.

I expect to see final renderings/designs before the building begins to rise.