Page 126 of 968 FirstFirst ... 2676116122123124125126127128129130136176226626 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,890 of 14513

Thread: WTC Tower One - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Robert Moses was a genius.

The knucklehead Governor Rockefeller's veto of Moses' Sound Crossing was a dumb mistake that has cost drivers millions of wasted hours sitting in traffic over the past 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob

The knucklehead Governor Rockefeller's veto of Moses' Sound Crossing was a dumb mistake that has cost drivers millions of wasted hours sitting in traffic over the past 30 years.
    Indeed, he was, and if not for that knucklehead Jane Jacobs' civic activism and urban planning pieces, SoHo would have been replaced by a lovely Expressway -- another mistake that cost drivers millions of wasted hours.

Forum Veteran

Drive around harlem or the bronx and see if you still think so...

Quote Originally Posted by RedFerrari360f1
    Yeah I think rebuilding the twins is a big mistake. Let you forget we may be getting 4-5 other towers designed by worldclass architechts...

Yes, towers only 50-60 floors high though, that's my problem, I'm sure they will look all right. Twin 1475 foot towers is the best plan for the site since 9/11

Robert Moses was an asshole. He singlehandly turn the Bronx into a ghetto, from which it's only beginning a turnaround (a spectacular turnaround, however). Also, he basically commishned every single government policy that helped NYC along in draining it's middle class white base (which is also beginning to turnaround, thankfully).

I hope we never see someone like that again. And with current gas prices and economic/political polices, it wouldn't be smart either.

There is little that I can see that is positive of Robert Moses. The Cross Bronx Expressway, and his support for highways in general over transit (particularly commuter trains) contributed to the sprawl in the NYC area. However, at least he wasn't spineless or milque-toast, attributes that are common with the people in charge of Rebuilding now.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAuch
    There is little that I can see that is positive of Robert Moses. The Cross Bronx Expressway, and his support for highways in general over transit (particularly commuter trains) contributed to the sprawl in the NYC area. However, at least he wasn't spineless or milque-toast, attributes that are common with the people in charge of Rebuilding now.

If we had a pro-transit, pro-density/urban, pro-building Robert Moses, we'd be unstoppable.

Here I come!

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by alex ballard
    Robert Moses was an asshole. Also, he basically commishned every single government policy that helped NYC along in draining it's middle class white base
    Such as...?

I wish people would stop refering to rebuilding the twins as building them with targets on, whatever is there will have the same effect and i really doubt a hijack would work so succesfully again as any decent people would do what the people on the 9/11 "lets roll" plane that crashed in pennsylvania did and try to stop the terrorists.

Forum Veteran

I think its a good thing that people are finally discussing it. The assumption that rebuilding the towers is foolish, and subsequent panning of any suggestion of such, is just as foolish. I'll say it again, if it forces Pataki to stop his disingenuous talk of "skyline restoration", then Trump's efforts are worth it. The Freedom Tower is not a real building.

I was thinking that too, hopefully Trump's stunt will help accomplish at least that - to make the Freedom Tower a building everyone can be proud of (except the twin-tower-replica-only group). Not holding my breath though, Silverstein still holds the purse strings.

I would welcome the Twin Towers II! I think it looks a lot better than the freedom tower. I'd say we rebuild the twins again...

Quote Originally Posted by alonzo-ny
    I wish people would stop refering to rebuilding the twins as building them with targets on, whatever is there will have the same effect and i really doubt a hijack would work so succesfully again as any decent people would do what the people on the 9/11 "lets roll" plane that crashed in pennsylvania did and try to stop the terrorists.
    I agree! I will also add that a tall building is not anymore a target than a small building. ei. the Pentagon, White House, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by NYguy
    NY POST

FT is just as much of a target, this shows how scared people are.