Page 149 of 968 FirstFirst ... 4999139145146147148149150151152153159199249649 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,235 of 14513

Thread: WTC Tower One - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Default Negotiation Point?

Maybe all this is just a simple negotiation move.

The concrete block draws universal condemnation. The public clamors for glass and steel and tells the police to butt out. Silverstein gets 20 more floors of rentable space and is called a hero.

Nothing is ever what it seems at Ground Zero.

is there any good reason why this building can't be taller?

The Dude Abides

It depends on what your definition of "good" is.

well, the only two reasons i could think of would be space and safety. any increase in office space could be offset by fiddling with the other towers, so that only leaves the safety question. as you can see in the renderings, the tower is already much taller than everything around it - god forbid someone should try to fly a plane into it, they wouldn't have any trouble at its current height. an increase in size wouldn't make it any more of a target. why not enhance the aesthetic value and build something new yorkers can be truly proud of?

The Dude Abides

You've got to take up the height issue with Silverstein. Most people are surprised that Childs even allowed office space to go up as high as in the previous WTC, without much objection from Larry. And, none of us want height just for height. If there's nothing in the tallest portion of the building (as was the case in the previous Freedom Tower) then it's a senseless building. There's still a lot of people unwilling to work that high, and Silverstein's not gonna push the limit further. As for aesthetics, I think the building is fine. It is in the classic, simple style of most New York buildings. Your point about how risk doesn't increase with height is definitely rational; people will try to destroy the WTC or the Freedom Tower for what it represents, not for how tall it is. However, the perception still is, unfortunately, that the taller the building, the more of a target it will be to terrorists. That's something that probably won't be overcome at the WTC, but I think New York will build many more spectacular highrises in the future, even taller than this one.

It says 82 floors and 69 office floors.

But the base is like 10 floors I think so does that mean offices reach the 79th?

Because it sure doesnt look like there 13 floors of emptyness. I just hope this is built, i never trust this site, for all we kno this is going to get scrapped and w'ell get anopther redesign, although this building is awesome I must say, In a sillouette it would look exactly like the north tower, same dimensions.

I love this new building. (1 trade center). I don't care about how many floors there are as long as the 82nd floor is at basically around 1362 feet. So floor 82 is basically is floor 110.

Quote Originally Posted by PHLguy
    It says 82 floors and 69 office floors.

But the base is like 10 floors I think so does that mean offices reach the 79th?

Because it sure doesnt look like there 13 floors of emptyness. I just hope this is built, i never trust this site, for all we kno this is going to get scrapped and w'ell get anopther redesign, although this building is awesome I must say, In a sillouette it would look exactly like the north tower, same dimensions.
    Maybe thats why alot of people love the new Freedom Tower.

Thumbs up Only If

Quote Originally Posted by gonzea
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    This is what I dreamed of.
    yesss this would be a done deal. everyone would be happy even trump!
    Last edited by Archit_K; July 5th, 2005 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by expose05
    I love this new building. (1 trade center). I don't care about how many floors there are as long as the 82nd floor is at basically around 1362 feet. So floor 82 is basically is floor 110.
    I'll post this one more time.

First: Base = 200 foot concret enforced base.

Second: 69 floors of office space (topping at about 1100-1200 feet)

3rd: Mechanical rooms, restaurant and observation deck (topping
    at 1362 feet)

Quote Originally Posted by Scraperfannyc
    I'll post this one more time.

First: Base = 200 foot concret enforced base.

Second: 69 floors of office space (topping at about 1100-1200 feet)

3rd: Mechanical rooms, restaurant and observation deck (topping
    at 1362 feet)
    The base includes a number of mechincal floors above the 80 foot lobby.

The top office floor is at 1120.

Above the office space there is space for the broadcasters in addition to the mechanical, restaurant, obs deck you already mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Archit_K
    yesss this would be a done deal. everyone would be happy even trump!
    Thanks for re-posting this incarnation of new FT twins, and Gonzea for putting it together in the first place. I missed it the first time, as it was lost in the deluge of posts concerning Childs's new design. I would have done that, too, if I had the photo-editing talent. Good work.

...You know, if only they would move the cultural center, and build an FT2 in it's place, the perspective of such towers would be almost identical to - if not better than - the landmark vision that was lost four years ago. A dream, perhaps, but a sincere one.

Why shouldn't they build the like in my pic? All the cultural center is going to do is bring people who weren't around for the real twin towers on the site thinking they know about the original wtc. I think a huge museum would be better than a cultural center. The people running NYC have REALLY let me down in the last 4 years! We will never see the twin towers or two new freedom towers together. Instead the "fright" tower with a 200 foot concrete base!

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686
    You've got to take up the height issue with Silverstein. Your point about how risk doesn't increase with height is definitely rational;
    I'd point out that's not necessarily true. An 800 foot tower can be evacuated more quickly and efficently than a 1,300 or 2,000 foot tower. Evacuations are down by foot.

Does anyone have that stacking picture of the freedom tower? I found it on two websites but they are just two small to look at. I tried to zoom in but it was all blurry.