Page 17 of 968 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117517 ... LastLast

Thread: WTC Tower One - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

I agree with you 110% Zippy, which is why I'm so disappointed...

If only they'd hired Cesar Pelli - he's one architect who can design a grand skyscraper and teach it how to soar.....

He's a hack, and you don't know jack.

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Wieland
    He's a hack, and you don't know jack.
    Yikes! That's a strong and personal lashing for an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by BPC
    My God. A 70-story office building, topped by the world's tallest TV antenna, fronting a 4.5 acre, 30 foot deep pit in which will sit a ""museum of freedom" and a generic freestanding "culture building." And to think we're only 2 years removed from the WTC. Maybe we should let the site lie falow for 10 years so we can get a more enlightened groups of planners, politicians and architects.

Yeah, when you put it all together this way, it does sound like a garden of groteques in the making.

I agree minus 10%. There's enough Pelli in the neighborhood.

Christian, I'm sorry I started a thread on an old topic - but it was the first time I'd heard about it. I guess I just won't assume anything I've just found out about is breaking news in the future. If I made any spelling mistakes, well, I was doing that post on my lunch break, so I was a little bit pressed for time.

But saying I "don't know jack" is a little bit harsh, don't you think?

And in my perhaps ignorant opinion, Pelli has designed some skyscrapers that are much nicer than Libeskind's; from the photos I've seen, I think his Bank of America Center in Charlotte is especially nice.

Forum Veteran

Yeah, Christian. Lighten up a bit. :|

Quote Originally Posted by JMGarcia
    Why Silverstein (via Childs) of all people should have the final say on aesthetics is beyond me.
    Because he's paying to build it?

[quote="JMGarcia"]
    The insurers are paying for it, not Silverstein.
    Semantics. Who paid the insurance policy? Who are the insurance policies payable to? He isn't obliged to rebuild at Ground Zero. He could have taken the payout and retired.

That's not correct. Silverstein cannot take the money and go home. The insurance is only payable to rebuild what was destroyed. Silverstein said as much when he argued that he was obligated to rebuild all the lost office space. At that time the PA stated that if Silverstein vacated the lease agreement, the insurance was transferrable to the owner.

Also, Silverstein chose to keep the lease by continuing to make monthly payments. The PA was happy with the arangement.

But its still Silverstein's responsibility to see that those buildings get leased. And he has the right to do whatever he thinks is his best option of getting those buildings leased. We may not like it - but who are we, really?... :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by NYguy
    But its still Silverstein's responsibility to see that those buildings get leased. And he has the right to do whatever he thinks is his best option of getting those buildings leased. We may not like it - but who are we, really?... :wink:
    That's my point, they opened this up to public debate and all, but at the end of the day, it's private property. We're capitalist, not a communist state. I don't agree with Silverstein's choices either, but I recognize, I don't have a voice until I pony up my multi-million dollar investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarknt67
    That's my point, they opened this up to public debate and all, but at the end of the day, it's private property. We're capitalist, not a communist state. I don't agree with Silverstein's choices either, but I recognize, I don't have a voice until I pony up my multi-million dollar investment.
    Doesnt the PA own the land....they are a public agency owned by nj+ ny

Ownership is 9/10ths of the law and the PA unquestionably owns the land, the insurance proceeds, and the development rights. They had the power to develop it themselves or to allow someone else to do it. They have chosen to allow Silverstein to do it. Bad decision IMO.

Then again if they did it themselves they have no front man to take the heat and finding another developer would be virtually impossible.

What is without doubt is that Silverstien is allowed to build only because the PA allows it. He has no legal claims against the PA if they decided they didn't want him. He's no different than Marriott or Westfield and they were easily removed from the process.

There is really nothing to debate here. PA NY/NJ owns the land. Larry Silverstein has a 99-year lease to the office space thereon. Both parties have strong legal rights to the redevelopment of the site. Governor Pataki controls the PA (with Governor McGreevey, who has deferred to Pataki on these issues) and wants Libeskind. Silverstein wants Childs. That is why we are having this horrendous collaboration. Short of litigation, there is really no other way.