Page 183 of 968 FirstFirst ... 83133173179180181182183184185186187193233283683 ... LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,745 of 14513

Thread: WTC Tower One - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Banned Member

I thought I would bever utter such words, but, as relates to restoring the skyline, Bruce Ratner might be our last hope.

Quote Originally Posted by PHLguy
    It will barely be higher than 7WTC. That's not going to look impressive visually.
    200 feet. 20% taller.

Quote Originally Posted by smackfu
    200 feet. 20% taller.

Wow, a whole 200 feet taller...

It really doesn't look that huge at all IMO, It's like a 4 story building next to a five story building, same difference porportionatly.

I'm still wondering if Freedom Tower is going to change, I hope they don't shorten it again like they did to tower 2. I honestly won't believe that it's started until I see steel, they don't have a good track record.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy
    It will never fill the "hole in the skyline" because the powerful duality, which combined with height for a synergistic effect, has been abandoned.

I do not consider this a happy day, just a big dissapointment, to see the pitiful reality of today's NY architecture and development scene once again fail to live up to what was done in the 20th century.

Even more pitifully, not only will it be of middling height compared to what's being done elsewhere in the world, but it will not even beat Chicago's plans.

I know, you'll say it's better than a hole in the ground. I'm not so sure. At least a hole still has potential to be more. This will be nothing but a giant wasted opportunity to have created something INCREDIBLE.

Oh hell, never mind. NY is no longer capable. Thank God the people who built the Empire State Building or the Chrysler were better dreamers. Too bad that spirit no longer exists here. Greed and shortsightedness abound though.
    I hate to say it but you're absolutely right!
    The design for the Freedom Tower is no more creative or daring than a low income housing project!
    This should have been an 8th wonder!

I really dont no how people can say they dont like the freedom tower the shape of the design is better then the twin towers shape. The only down fall of what I think I been hearing is that its a glass facade. I also think that the antenna has a better shape then the twin towers did. the only down fall to me is the base of the building. It should be atleast 70 feet high with windows and doors around it. That would look way better then it dose now.

Everyone should be thankful that the roof goes to 1368ft. Much less anything else.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Actually, I don't like that 1362 ft. figure too much.
    I just feel having a 13 in the number isn't very lucky. It certainly wasn't for the former Twins.
    A measly 38 more feet and we would have a nice round 1400.

It really doesn't look that huge at all IMO, It's like a 4 story building next to a five story building, same difference porportionatly.

I'm still wondering if Freedom Tower is going to change, I hope they don't shorten it again like they did to tower 2. I honestly won't believe that it's started until I see steel, they don't have a good track record.
    Believe what you want to believe. I can't believe I'm dealing with this again. Im telling you Tower 2 hasn't been designed yet so it's impossible to pin a height for it, the 950 feet figure is straight from an old Libeskind site plan. And oh yes, the Freedom Tower will only be 30 storeys tall, I forgot to mention that.

Sorry Stern but it's pretty hard to be optomistic about this site. Do you really think they would need a building bigger than 950'? Of course not. So we probably won't have one.

If they are redesigning the Freedom Tower they will probably lower the floor count. Many people seem to think 83 floors is a bit much. Maybe they'll add a strucure of some sort again *Groan*

Sorry Stern but it's pretty hard to be optomistic about this site. Do you really think they would need a building bigger than 950'? Of course not. So we probably won't have one.

If they are redesigning the Freedom Tower they will probably lower the floor count. Many people seem to think 83 floors is a bit much. Maybe they'll add a strucure of some sort again *Groan*
    You can apply that same logic to the Freedom Tower where they have decided to build to the height of the former WTC. The Freedom Tower's design is not going to change too much, there is too much momentum behind it. Tower Two, yet to be designed will change heights many times. If David Child's was able to convice Silverstein to increase the buildings height 400 feet, I have complete confidence that Norman Foster will push the envelope.

^Well, hope for the best.

I'm still wondering when we'll see the Freedom Tower design.

Good point PHLguy. I hope Childs and Co. figure out what to do the base and spire in the near future. I'd like to get an idea of just how bad it will be.

Also the base could be changed for the better. We all hope . . .

Some renders of 1WTC from my WTC model you may have seen at SSP.

Main thread with additional images.

Greenwich and Fulton

Vessey St, looking west

From the roof of 7WTC

Grenwich and Dey St, the PATH station is to the immediate right.

It is absolutely not like that at all unless the buildings are about 10ft wide

Yee-owww ...

The approach to the fortified Inner Sanctum:

http://img89.imageshack.us/my.php?image=Vessey.jpg