Page 185 of 968 FirstFirst ... 85135175181182183184185186187188189195235285685 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,775 of 14513

Thread: WTC Tower One - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Somebody sent me this

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...q=loose+change

what others think of it?

Yes I've already seen that documentary. It breaks one of the first rules of documentary filmmaking its not at all objective with its source material. It already comes with an agenda and uses material to prove what it believes to be the truth.

Much of its evidence was paperwork. Thy used quotes that may have been taken out of their original context. Or quotes that could be refuted by the person they claimed stated them. They used facts that may have had nothing to do with a government conspiracy to destroy the WTC.

The biggest problem I had is the documentary is that it came to conclusions that were not unquestionably proven with its presented evidence. Such as missiles firing from the airliners just before they penetrate the sides of the twin towers. Or the conclusion that the WTC was brought down by explosive demolition. They used sound bites of people saying they heard explosions, but no one saw an any explosion.

They should have consulted a demolitions expert who could have explained what he/she would have done to bring the towers down in this respect. Looking at what did happen how could demolitions have realistically played a part. That could have brought more validity to their argument. The risk for them would be the demolitions expert telling them realistically explosives would not have worked properly under those conditions or the towers would not have fallen in that way.

The documentary shows other buildings that were on fire and burning for hours but never fall. This does not take into account the fact that those buildings were not structurally damaged by a wide body jetliner. Or the fact that those buildings may have been built differently from the WTC. The way the buildings weight is distributed may have been significantly different.

I was surprised that they completely ignored the fact that the Empire State Building was hit by an airplane and did not fall. Something either the documentarians did not know or did know but could not explain.

Over all the doc did raise interesting discrepancies in the governments account of the day and why it happened. I already never believed the governments story about what happened and why, so it doesn't tell me much new in that respect.

I think the doc could be taken more seriously by more people if it only pointed out the inconsistencies and unanswered questions without coming to its own conclusions.
    Last edited by Teno; May 2nd, 2006 at 08:01 PM.

Is it true that this documentary was actually produced by the Dept. of Homeland Security using our tax dollars -- just so someone could say "Look at all the crazy ideas out here!"

Look at the bright side. At least with all these brainless 9/11 conspiracies, we can finally stop having to listen to all the brainless Kennedy asassination conspiracies that have been plaguing us for the last 40+ years. Oliver Stone has officially moved on from JFK to WTC, and thus so can the rest of us.

I would rather go back to the comparatively benign Kennedy ones.

Quote Originally Posted by evil_synth
    They fell because the jet fuel burns quite hot. Not hot enough to melt the support beams, but hot enough to weaken them significantly (Think of a stick of butter, if you put it in the oven it will melt, but if you leave on a table, it'll simply become soft). The weakening of the beams led to the collapse of the upper floors which crashed down onto the lower floors creating a huge spike in the pressure on the lower columns which completely overwhelemed their holding capacity. This led to the complete collapse of the towers.

Just look for my comments on it.

Reasons for collapse:

Damage to supporting columns
    Damage to core (which acted as teporary support utilizing teh roof-trusses)
    Heat

The columns were taken out, the load transferred through the roof truss to the core (one of which was damaged more than the other, making it support less load). The remaining support system was heated and softened, weakening the columns and also making them more susceptable to buckling (sudden) failure)

Teh columns collapsed and the structure above collapsed what it fell on top of.

The explosive theory is BS, missiles would have done SQUAT to a building that big, and most other conspiracy teory is absolute tripe.

Fry it up and eat it with hot sauce, I am tired of hearing about it.

Since they pop up almost immediately, conspiracy theories start with a conclusion and work backwards, picking up as many "facts" as they can that fit the conclusion. The goal is volume, since most of the facts can easily be countered with more logical conclusions. However, for most people, it is tedious enough to just listen to all this stuff, let alone search out rebuttals.

I'll offer two items:

1. Silverstein buys insurance, with a terrorism clause, weeks before 09/11. He must have had prior knowledge.

Well, it has become overshadowed by 09/11, but there was a terrorist attack just 8 years earlier. And if Silverstein knew about the attack, why did he underinsure the property.

2. If the government really pulled off this conspiracy, it was a marvel of complex planning. Yet, the primary goal of the conspiracy, the war in Iraq, evidently was not planned at all. Suddenly, this same government can't do anything right, not even plan for a hurricane they knew was on the way.

That's it for me.

Actually going through all those conspiracy sights, really ive never seen so many people claim circumstantial evidence as truth, I found this really cool video by the PA about the building of the WTC. The enormity of the whole project is amazing and I love cheesy 70s govt made videos.

http://media.thetruthseeker.org/mirr...e%20Center.wmv

I rather hear conspircay theories rather then listen to what our government releases as officially true. One big example... the main reason of why are we in Iraq.

but ya know what they say: "two wrongs .... "

Quote Originally Posted by Teno
    I was just talking with someone the other day who claimed they heard their was no way the WTC could fall just from the fire.

Some people believe without doubt the government destroyed the towers.

The people presenting evidence to prove this themselves exclude or ignore variables that they don't understand or have clear information about.
    The melting fire by itself can't destroy a building by collapse. However, the towers were structurally compromised because the planes knocked out columns and parts of the facades, which were part of the buildings' support system.

BTW, you should see how the conspiracy theorists argue that 7 WTC was controlled demolition. They take a quote by Silverstein out of context:

"I remember getting a call from the, er, fire department commander, telling me that they were not sure they were gonna be able to contain the fire, and I said, "We've had such terrible loss of life, maybe the smartest thing to do is pull it. And they made that decision to pull and we watched the building collapse."

Alex Jones claims that "pull it" means controlled demolition in industry terms, but if you read the whole paragraph, he's talking about pulling the firefighters back. The "it" in "pull it" meant the firefighters.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/011904wtc7.html

Here's a good debunking of this:
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/scie...e/1227842.html

Question: If all of the new WTC gets built as planned, would it be technically possible to reconstruct the twin towers on the exact same location of the original? If so, what would that look like? More than a few readers of Wired New York have produced concept drawings...anybody done this particular scheme, yet? It would be interesting to see how this might look: 3 towers instead of 2.

No, unless the memorial redesign is to replace the twin towers in their footprints.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    It would be interesting to see how this might look: 3 towers instead of 2.
    Actually, if they built what is currently planned plus re-built the original twins then that would be a total of 8 or 9 towers in that smallish 16+ acre area.

That would leave hardly any open space at all (other than a bit at the SW quadrant and another in the NE around the Calatrava building).

Methinks it would be a tad imposing with all that mass & height in such close proximity to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    Actually, if they built what is currently planned plus re-built the original twins then that would be a total of 8 or 9 towers in that smallish 16+ acre area.

That would leave hardly any open space at all (other than a bit at the SW quadrant and another in the NE around the Calatrava building).

Methinks it would be a tad imposing with all that mass & height in such close proximity to each other.
    IMO they should rebuild the twins and the site as they were on the original site, but:

- make 4 & 5 WTC more modern, each w/ 15 floors
    - make 6 WTC the memorial
    - move the freedom tower to the deutsche bank site

what do you think?