Page 189 of 968 FirstFirst ... 89139179185186187188189190191192193199239289689 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,835 of 14513

Thread: WTC Tower One - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

The Dude Abides

Quote Originally Posted by STR
    Fordham Spire is approved. It's 1,600 feet to the roof with a top floor at around 1,570, making a 400 foot spire, 8 feet shorter than the FT spire, not including the base beneath the paraphet. Like the FT, the spire will include an integrated antenna in the top half of the spire. Sales have not officially begun, but those on the VIP presale list have reserved 25% of the units in the building.

But all this height stuff is moot. It's like bragging about who's going to win the silver medal. Burj Dubai is 45 floors ahead of either US tower and it's top floor will be almost 100 feet higher than the tip of Fordham Spire.
    You're absolutely right. I did some quick research, and saw that the building has indeed been approved and the revised design has the roof going up to 1600 feet. Good for Chicago. They should be in the running for world's tallest depending on how high the Burj Dubai tops out.

Meanwhile, there's an article from the Wall Street Journal posted in the World Trade Center Developments thread talking about how the other three commercial towers at the World Trade Center site are all to be close to or exceeding the ESB in height (~1250 feet). Add to this that the Freedom Tower's roof will go up to 1368 feet, with the spire topping out at 1776, and I still don't see how ANYONE can call this "meager" height. With the ESB currently #9 on the world's tallest, we have the possibility of having 3 of the world's 10 tallest buildings within 5 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686
    1776 is a meager height? I don't know what delusional world you live in, but currently that would be the tallest building in the world, which says something about defiance. Why do you bring up Chicago? Not only is the Fordham Spire not built yet, it isn't even approved. And if it is approved, you realize that its spire is gonna be even larger than Freedom Tower's, right? I believe the roof only goes up to 1500 feet, while the spire is 500 feet tall. Get your facts straight.
    I think the issue for you pianoman is more of your reading comprehension than my delusion. I said that the height is meager "in relation to what other cities are building now". My facts, unlike your reading comprehension, are straight because FS will be taller in terms of roof and spire. And they haven't had any major issues with its development so it pretty much looks like its gonna happen.

Obviously 1776 is not a paltry figure but if you wanna make an iconic building in NYC we can at least make it a contender for the worlds tallest building and not lag behind other cities in terms of pushing the limit. Even Silverstein has said that he is afraid of building a scraper that is too tall and that is what I am referring to that mentality of being afraid to build big.

but currently that would be the tallest building in the world, which says something about defiance.
    Also pianoman while you learn how to read try learning how to do a little research because the Burj Dubai will be built way B4 the FT and it will be around 600 feet taller at 2300 feet. Thus FT will not be the tallest in the World but it maybe tallest in the US as its construction begins B4 the FS.

^
    So how high were we intending to build on 09/11/2000?

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    ^
    So how high were we intending to build on 09/11/2000?
    Post 9/11 since the original plans the size of this tower has shrunk and that is what I am objecting to. This tower was supposed to be 2000 ft at some point and it shunk to 1776 and thats my problem. No I don't expect to compete with th Burj Dubai but like I just mentioned lets not shrink it.

And lofter, Zip you're right NYC wasn't really building big 25 yrs prior but neither was the rest of the world up until the Petronas and Tapei. And at some point (B4 9/11) a 2000 footer for NYC was mentioned.

That building was a phony.

The tallest buildings in NY built since the WTC was constructed are Citigroup and Trump World Tower.

NY wasn't going to build a a super tall building regardless of 9/11. In fact, without 9/11 I can assure you a 1776 foot tall building would not be being built.

NY no longer needs to build for bragging rights and international notice. It should be building about aesthetics and it is at least trying at that.

This is not a sporting event where you root for the home team to win, nor is it a big dick contest.

I would have no problem with a 2500 foot building being built in NY. But I won't think less of NY because it doesn't because in the end run it is irrelevant.

First of all the Freedom Tower is NOT a 1776 foot building, it is a slightly shorter north tower with a redesigned antenna that is now called a "spire"

Make no mistake, we lost two giants on 9/11 and nothing has been done to replace them, instead shocked by the out of this world crap initial design we have settled for this mediocre "replacement" if it even deserves that name.

The Freedom Tower is the best proof that our love for the twins and our spirit as a city not fearing heights has been broken.

Now I'm not for building a 10,000 footer that we could never fill but please don't tell me that we can't fill a supertall in downtown Manhattan while they have ways of doing it in Dubai, Chicago, and jeez, what a DOZEN other cities around the world? We have many problems, our wrong approach to taxing corporations, our fear of "another 9/11", and a myriad of retarded policies both city and federal such as the FAA height limit.

Meanwhile not to turn this into another politics debate but since when has our approach to preventing "another 9/11" been to avoid building tall rather than to eliminate the problem at the source? Sometimes I think 9/11 is some excuse for the lack of testosterome in our developer friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    and a myriad of retarded policies both city and federal such as the FAA height limit.
    Technically, there isn't a limit. It's a long drawn out story to describe FAA Regulations 77.13 and 77.17, but it was never intended for skyscrapers in CBD's. It was written for guyed masts out in the boonies, which DO cause accidents (the last one I'm aware of is of a army Blackhawk helicopter striking a guy wire and crashing with all aboard dying). Even so, there is an appeal process in which the FAA can grant a variance.

In addition, the FAA has no authority to alter proposals not built on airports or any facility they directly observe. It's mostly political nicety that keeps cities from telling the FAA to go off itself.

I'm actually aware of that, but we had a big discussion here where people were claiming it's this restriction that prevents supertalls in the city.

What I'm trying to say is that even if you get around one of these restrictions you always get slapped with another, if it's not the FAA it's city zoning that says it casts a shadow, if not that, it's some street vendor claiming it's ruining his business, then it's people who say they can't walk their dogs and it's just an endless parade of stupid reasons. Given that NY has a large court system they always find some stupid judge to give them credibility.

And these little lawsuits, even if won by the developer delay and delay projects and they lose money and they cancell them. The courts and city offices of NY need to learn a lesson in capitalism and developer need to tell them: "shut up, sit down, I'm building a 2000 footer and nobody can stop me" just like in the good old days.

we have the possibility of having 3 of the world's 10 tallest buildings within 5 years or so.

The ESB will drop off the WTB list anytime soon now with tons of taller buildings being constructed elsewhere in the world, and Tower 2 certainly won't pass the height of the empire state building, what makes you think it will be done within five years anyway?

Default Ediface complex

Quote Originally Posted by JMGarcia
    This is not a sporting event where you root for the home team to win, nor is it a big dick contest.
    That may be true; but at this point we really need to get on with the erection.

Quote Originally Posted by PHLguy
    The ESB will drop off the WTB list anytime soon now with tons of taller buildings being constructed elsewhere in the world, and Tower 2 certainly won't pass the height of the empire state building, what makes you think it will be done within five years anyway?
    an excerpt from todays Wall Street Journal...

'The Freedom Tower is set to be the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere at a symbolic 1,776 feet. Mr. Foster's Tower 2 will rise somewhere from 1,300 feet to 1,450 feet; Mr. Rogers's Tower 3 from 1,250 to 1,350 feet; and Mr. Maki's Tower 4 from 1,200 feet to 1,300 feet. The Twin Towers of the World Trade Center, were 1,362 and 1,368 feet tall.'

sure, if those include 500 foot "spires"

Quote Originally Posted by RS085
    an excerpt from todays Wall Street Journal...

'The Freedom Tower is set to be the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere at a symbolic 1,776 feet. Mr. Foster's Tower 2 will rise somewhere from 1,300 feet to 1,450 feet; Mr. Rogers's Tower 3 from 1,250 to 1,350 feet; and Mr. Maki's Tower 4 from 1,200 feet to 1,300 feet. The Twin Towers of the World Trade Center, were 1,362 and 1,368 feet tall.'

#1. Fordham Spire in Chicago will be taller (2000 feet)

#2. No one knows how high the other towers will be, they won't be near as high as the FT though, those figures where probably pulled out of nowhere. Since the towers have not even been designed yet. If they where that tall, they would not even need 5 towers.