Page 225 of 968 FirstFirst ... 125175215221222223224225226227228229235275325725 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,375 of 14513

Thread: WTC Tower One - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

excellent pics, lecom. Keep up the great job!!

^what is the point of closing that part of the bridge? Is it merely to obstruct the view of construction?

To keep construction debris from getting through all the gaps, holes, etc. in the metal sheathing of the pedestrian bridge.

Part of the bridge next to the Verizon building is to be removed as part of the Freedom Tower work.

More Freedom Tower foundation photos (July)

Thumbs up FT Spire Revisited

Not to change the subject but I would like to revisit a subject area on the FT
    that was discussed a while ago, i.e. The Spire Design. I am untrained in architecture, it is just pure passion with me about the NYC skyline. I think the spire will truly be the most memorable aspect of the proposed some what mediocre building design. Earlier iterations gave the appearance that from 1,300 down it would look somewhat like a flag pole tied down to the roof with cables. The latest renderings are an improvement but I still think it needs more drama. Call me old fashioned but the way in which the spires of the Chrysler and Empire State buildings are integrated into the design of those buildings is superb. It is seamless and does a good job of pulling them skyward. I am not a fan of including the height of a spire/antenna as part of the total height of building. On the other hand if the spire is designed to look like an extension of the building and integral then I am in favor of it. New York is full of buildings like that. If one were to look back at Brunelleschi's Lantern atop the cupola of Santa Maria Del Fiore in Florence or the lantern sitting atop Michaelangelo's dome in Rome. They also give the impression of being in union with the rest of the building, pushing it further into the sky. My wish is that Child's or his designate be more daring, you only get one shot at something like this. Build a more dramatic and memorable structure around the spire that appears to eminate from the building, not the roof and also make that structure soar higher.

Thanks.
    Paoloman

I'm happy to see that the work at groundzero is going very well. I am also happy that the money that will support the freedom tower has settled and to see this thing go up, it will be a beautiful site indeed. While playing some John Lennon in the background singing the song "Imagine" that would be a touch of sadness.

Quote Originally Posted by Paoloman View Post
    I am not a fan of including the height of a spire/antenna as part of the total height of building. On the other hand if the spire is designed to look like an extension of the building and integral then I am in favor of it.
    Paoloman, I agree; and so do the folks who tabulate building height of skyscrapers. Their adherence to your principle is the sole reason Petronas (integrated spires) is declared to be taller than the Sears Tower (tacked-on antennas).

Thanks, I am glad someone sees is my way also. There does not seem to be much activity on this subject lately. I guess it either people are away or at this stage there is not much new to talk about relative to the FT.

Paoloman

Default Freedom Tower ?!?!?

no more defiant 1 WTC?

I'll always call it 1 WTC. And so will most on this forum I assume.

I'll call it alot of things before I call it Freedom Tower. (Pardon my language)

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Question

Yes why are we back to Freedom Tower?

No matter how much you all deny, alas, 1WTC will always be known as the Freedom Tower, thanks to the media. I'm not too picky about the name. It should be known as both 1WTC and Freedom Tower.

I finally gave in a voted on the poll in one of the other WTC threads about whether I'll call it the Freedom Tower or not, and I voted "yes." I didn't want to vote until it was actually completed and we had some time to step back and take in the big picture, but the the poll ends in 2007 sometime ... And as much as I want to resist, the name's been bashed into my head so much at this point that it's what comes out subconsciously. Too bad. Maybe in support of my heritage I'll refer to it as the "French Tower"

Default it's not just you

the spire is just plunked on top, just to make it taller.

Quote Originally Posted by Paoloman View Post
    Not to change the subject but I would like to revisit a subject area on the FT
    that was discussed a while ago, i.e. The Spire Design. I am untrained in architecture, it is just pure passion with me about the NYC skyline. I think the spire will truly be the most memorable aspect of the proposed some what mediocre building design. Earlier iterations gave the appearance that from 1,300 down it would look somewhat like a flag pole tied down to the roof with cables. The latest renderings are an improvement but I still think it needs more drama. Call me old fashioned but the way in which the spires of the Chrysler and Empire State buildings are integrated into the design of those buildings is superb. It is seamless and does a good job of pulling them skyward. I am not a fan of including the height of a spire/antenna as part of the total height of building. On the other hand if the spire is designed to look like an extension of the building and integral then I am in favor of it. New York is full of buildings like that. If one were to look back at Brunelleschi's Lantern atop the cupola of Santa Maria Del Fiore in Florence or the lantern sitting atop Michaelangelo's dome in Rome. They also give the impression of being in union with the rest of the building, pushing it further into the sky. My wish is that Child's or his designate be more daring, you only get one shot at something like this. Build a more dramatic and memorable structure around the spire that appears to eminate from the building, not the roof and also make that structure soar higher.

Thanks.
    Paoloman