Page 226 of 968 FirstFirst ... 126176216222223224225226227228229230236276326726 ... LastLast
Results 3,376 to 3,390 of 14513

Thread: WTC Tower One - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Default A new name a new role.

I guess there is no way around calling it anything other than the FT when you consider what it will represent for the people of this country. The term World Trade Center was synonomous with the unparralled economic and financial power of this country. The term international or world trade center is pretty commonplace now and has become pervasive. It is used in many cities who have applied the label loosely and liberally to their public edifices. The name Freedom Tower stands for a alot more than just the economic forces it once represented. It now represents the patriotic pride of Americans, the supremacy of our military and industrial complex, and as always our economic prowess. It is second to no sovereign nation on this planet, and hopefully the FT will state that to the world. So the new building will cast a bigger shadow and morph into a greater icon than it ever was. Its roll has been slightlly expanded and so has its name.
    Last edited by Paoloman; August 17th, 2006 at 02:29 PM.

Smile

I guess there is no way around calling it anything other than the FT when you consider what it will represent for the people of this country. The term World Trade Center was synonomous with the unparralled economic and financial power of this country. The term international or world trade center is pretty commonplace now and has become pervasive. It is used in many cities who have applied the label loosely and liberally to their public edifices. The name Freedom Tower stands for a alot more than just the economic forces it once represented. It now represents the patriotic pride of Americans, the supremacy of our military and industrial complex, and as always our economic prowess. It is second to no sovereign nation on this planet, and hopefully the FT will state that to the world. So the new building will cast a bigger shadow and morph into a greater icon than it ever was. Its roll has been slightlly expanded and so has its name.

Paoloman, how on earth did you post the same thing twice almost a day apart without noticing?

You can read it a third time in Edward's new "World Trade Center - Fifth Anniversary" thread.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Plus he added a smiley. (?)

Pretty bizarre

Like Ablarc recently said, "make sure what you repeat is worth repeating," or something to that effect. Jingoism is not worth repeating, with or without a smiley face.

"Freedom Tower" sounds like nothing more than a half-hearted cheesy political ruse. Sorry if that offends someone. It's just my opinion, and perhaps this is not the forum to air it.

Quote Originally Posted by James Kovata View Post
    "Freedom Tower" sounds like nothing more than a half-hearted cheesy political ruse. Sorry if that offends someone. It's just my opinion, and perhaps this is not the forum to air it.

The name Freedom Tower is offensive in it self. Most people here probably agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by PHLguy View Post
    The name Freedom Tower is offensive in it self.
    Offensive? Maybe in the "death to America" crowd. But really, I can't believe we're still debating this. Its a done deal. The name is Freedom Tower. You can't wish it away anymore than you can wish away 9/11. Its not the best of names, but unfortunately that fate was sealed when Pataki fell in love with Libeskinds plan for a "1776" ft tall tower that "mimicked" the Statue of Liberty. After that, what else were you gonna call it?

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
    Offensive? Maybe in the "death to America" crowd.
    I hope you're kidding.

But really, I can't believe we're still debating this. Its a done deal. The name is Freedom Tower. You can't wish it away anymore than you can wish away 9/11. Its not the best of names, but unfortunately that fate was sealed when Pataki fell in love with Libeskinds plan for a "1776" ft tall tower that "mimicked" the Statue of Liberty. After that, what else were you gonna call it?
    Its not that its "not the best of names", its an incredibly cheesy and disingenuous (nothing about 9/11 was about "freedom" or "liberty"). Its a political response to an attack on what are perceived as our misdeeds around the world. In the most basic sense its name shows how out of touch Pataki/Bush are.

But now we're stuck with Freedom Tower. It is set in the public and media and there is nothing (deliberate) that can be done about it.

So it will be called that and people will make some other name for it. Before 9/11 the term "twin towers" wasn't used either. As someone who has worked across the street from the WTC I can tell you that I heard that phrase uttered maybe twice.

The Trade Center or One or Two or sometimes North Tower or South Tower were really the only things people said.

If you were talking to someone outside of the complex you'd say Trade Center, otherwise you'd be more specific, simple as that.

Similarly the World Financial Center uses nicknames rather than the official name. Inside the buildings you'd refer to them by their numbers or sometimes call 3WFC "The Amex" and such things, nobody say One World Financial Center.

Offensive? Maybe in the "death to America" crowd. But really, I can't believe we're still debating this. Its a done deal. The name is Freedom Tower. You can't wish it away anymore than you can wish away 9/11.

I personally find the name mildly offensive (Or at most horribly annoying) because everyone knows Pataki didn't actually take the time to honor the tragedy he just said to his buddies, 'we need to think of a cheesy, half-assed patriotic name, because if it's patriotic the american public is bound to love it.'

Honoring the attacks is not about Freedom IMO, it's about honoring those who died. The only reason these attacks had the slightest thing to do with Freedom is because we are the 'Free world' (As we like to call ourselves) and those who attacked us are not part of that world. It's a pretty bad reason to call it the Freedom Tower if you ask me.

Its not the best of names, but unfortunately that fate was sealed when Pataki fell in love with Libeskinds plan for a "1776" ft tall tower that "mimicked" the Statue of Liberty. After that, what else were you gonna call it?
    How about we call it 'World Trade Center'? What it's always been. Not a 'half hearted political ruse' as James put it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paoloman View Post

I guess there is no way around calling it anything other than the FT when you consider what it will represent for the people of this country ...

It now represents the patriotic pride of Americans, the supremacy of our military and industrial complex, and as always our economic prowess.
    There's no place like home ...

(keep saying it enough and it just might come true)

Quote Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post
    Paoloman, how on earth did you post the same thing twice almost a day apart without noticing?

My error. This new member thought he posted it incorrectly because no response was received.