Page 27 of 968 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127527 ... LastLast

Thread: WTC Tower One - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Forum Veteran

My initial reaction is that I like the lines and angles, the twist works for the building. But, and that's a big but, it looks empty at the top (not a huge surprise). I hope this changes.

Banned Member

Default Re: Call Me Crazy, But...

Quote Originally Posted by JayW
    Just trying to make a silk purse from what many perhaps look at as a sow's ear...
    Good choice of words. That phrase is meant to portray the futility in some efforts.

Well, at least I'M inspired. I wrote letters to LMDC and Silverstein Properties. I'll probably only get more incensed as they will surely ignore me. ME!

The most disappointing thing here is the spire - even in Libeskind's worst imaginings, it was a sloped spire that appeared to at least be a part of the mass of the building. I at least thought I would have that to fall back on, but no. Its a 1,500 ft building. It may reach 2,000 ft, but don't sell it as a 1,776 ft building.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyo
    My initial reaction is that I like the lines and angles, the twist works for the building. But, and that's a big but, it looks empty at the top (not a huge surprise). I hope this changes.
    It can't possibly look as empty as that when built. Maybe the rush job done on the renderings left out what it would look like, or maybe they aren't even sure about that yet...

Quote Originally Posted by NYguy
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyo
    It can't possibly look as empty as that when built. Maybe the rush job done on the renderings left out what it would look like, or maybe they aren't even sure about that yet...
    The model pictures show some sort of cylindrical structure inside of the top/void - this doesn't appear to be reflected in the renderings...

It's difficult to make a good comparison without having seen any rendering, but from the numbers released for Child's original design -
    1100 to the roof
    1776 to the top of the lattice,
    I didn't like the proportion of lattice to the building height.

This compromise has the lattice at 1500, a more balanced relationship - but I still think it's too much. The office portion should be a little higher.

I like the tapering, twisting - it gives the building visual interest.

The spire as rendered looks ridiculous. However, as renderings sometimes leave out, there is no structure supporting it.

Default Re: Better than earlier reports made it out to be...

Quote Originally Posted by dtolman
    Maybe its a Huntington NY thing, but I like the new look of the tower as well... The renderings are pretty good - especially the nighttime one. If only it looks that nice in reality (doubtful)...

While it is dissapointing that they wimped out on the upper stories by leaving it an empty shell, based off the criteria already layed out by Silverstein this is no suprise. I remember that he has insisted on only having a 70 story occupied tower for some time now - this is probably as good as its going to get. Particularly compared to some of the horrible sketches posted here over the last few weeks of potential towers...

Daniel
    On the second point, reluctantly agreed. But with all due respect to my neighbor, As long as this "empty shell" A) is visible from at least 15 miles away and B) can support an antenna structure that (hopefuly) can bring this puppy up to 2000, I'm OK with it.

One or two more points:

We're in store for *four* more towers that will be architecturally centered around this. I have a feeling that people who've been looking at this tower tend to comment on it as an independent structure. The previous pics show what we should be talking about IMO: it's ability (or inability depending on your view) to complement the rest of the cityscape. The other four, all shoo-ins for comstruction, will assuredly help.

Don't forget either, some of the drawings we's seen posted here were based on *conjecture*, if not stong hunch. I had a feeling all along that the whole "twisting vs tapering" was going to lead to all manner of confusion. To me it *would* have been worse if we were to see *twisting*. I stand by my assertion that Childs did the right thing with the *tapering* aspect.

At the end of the day, I suspect that most New Yorkers will see this tower *holistically* and not get bogged down over height to highest occupied floor and all that...as long as it's *big*. And to me, it looks *bigger* than Mr. Libeskind's original premise for FT.

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry christmas....I think the end product is great tower.....everyone knew ahead of time roughly what it would incorporate....solid job even though the renderings are purposefully vague

Zippy-
    The spire as rendered looks ridiculous.

It looks like a cruel bayonette, or perhaps Wolverine giving NJ the razor.

I want to see some plan views.

Is there a Robert Frost flu going around? 8)

Quote Originally Posted by NYguy
    The most disappointing thing here is the spire - even in Libeskind's worst imaginings, it was a sloped spire that appeared to at least be a part of the mass of the building. I at least thought I would have that to fall back on, but no. Its a 1,500 ft building. It may reach 2,000 ft, but don't sell it as a 1,776 ft building.
    I would submit respectfully here that there is maybe great confusion between the words "building" and "structure". I don't mean to be patronizing here, butthese two words to tend to get thrown around rather casually to the point at which both become synonymous.
    This ought to be seen (and *is* by me AFAIC) as a potential 2000' *structure*, combining skyscraper, monument and broadcast distribution site.
    This is, agreed, *not* a 1776' *building*. In future, I wish people would use these terms more circumspectly.

BTW, the night shot of FT is *stunning*. I mean that. I also hope the final product matches the renderings as true to life as possible. I have faith.

I was expecting a lot more detail in these renderings. What is the skin going to look like? I can't even make out the twist well or if there is any set-backs. Overall I am not impressed. I hope that with the other towers, Libeskind will not be allowed to participate and we get some better architects (bring on Foster!!)

Quote Originally Posted by JayW
    This ought to be seen (and *is* by me AFAIC) as a potential 2000' *structure*, combining skyscraper, monument and broadcast distribution site.
    This is, agreed, *not* a 1776' *building*. In future, I wish people would use these terms more circumspectly.

BTW, the night shot of FT is *stunning*. I mean that. I also hope the final product matches the renderings as true to life as possible. I have faith.
    It will be seen as a 2,000 ft structure. However, the height for the tower given is 1,776 ft (its the height that will lay claim to tallest building in the world). It's the 1,776 ft that is the "symbolic" height of the building.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe
    I was expecting a lot more detail in these renderings. What is the skin going to look like? I can't even make out the twist well or if there is any set-backs.
    I think in this case the model is a better representation of the towers appearance than the renderings. You can make out the twist, and that apparently it is going to be a smoothly tapered facade...

They only agreed on the form this week- I doubt they have had time to decide on how the skin is going to look or more details (the renderings even appear incomplete compared to the model).

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe
    I hope that with the other towers, Libeskind will not be allowed to participate and we get some better architects (bring on Foster!!)

I think there was a lesson learned here. As far as the other towers, there really won't be one big thing for Libeskind to object to. Freedom tower had the asymetrical spire, I'm not sure how slanted the roofs of the other towers will be...