Page 311 of 968 FirstFirst ... 211261301307308309310311312313314315321361411811 ... LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,665 of 14513

Thread: WTC Tower One - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Hey man, just relax a bit. You need a massage and some Jack. This is the Post blowing things out of proportion to sell newspapers... I mean tabloids.

If a terrorist wanted to know the thickness of the concrete walls/core, they can just go to www.wtc.com and measure the diagrams to scale. I don't think the challenge is knowing WHERE to place explosives but HOW to sucessfully do so in the first place.

It will be virtually impossible for explosives to bring this building down even if they knew where to do it. It would take days just to set up a explosive demo like that.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JacobNYC View Post
    You need a massage and some Jack.
    Who's going to volunteer to do this dirty deed? londonlawyer, where are you at?

Unless Salma Hayek is the human behind the jcman handle, I doubt he'd be up for it

Quote Originally Posted by brianac View Post
    Phillippe Petit. 7th. August 1974.
    That just scares the crap out of me whenever I think of it.

I'm going to partially agree with JacobNYC and say that I think the Post is blowing this a 'tad bit out of proportion. Wouldn't you think if this were entirely true that it would be the headlines on the sites like the NY Times and the NY Daily News. From what I can see, its not on either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
    It looks like they put up a big poster on the side of 7WTC, maybe for the whole Pope thing or something else. I'd like to see a picture of it. I'd say it's about 85 feet by 45 feet. It's facing ground zero and more on the Freedom Tower side; you can't miss it.

Taken 4/18/08.

Thanks a million rmannion.

Picture Tour: Building the Freedom Tower on Ground Zero

byEliot Brown | April 18, 2008

Eliot Brown
    The steel beams of the Freedom Tower as it reaches upward from below street level

Yesterday morning we took a little jaunt downtown to check out the progress of the Freedom Tower. Accompanied by some folks from the Port Authority, which is developing the tower, we took a few shots from the construction site. Work is slated to rise above street level later this year.
    For now, the sub-grade work seems to have a whole lot of workers installing a whole lot of cement and rebar. The site was mostly empty and the vast majority of the work has come within the last year. The Port Authority said they still are on schedule for completion in 2012.

The steel beams poking form a perimeter for the building’s edge, while the bulky concrete structure in the center is the tower’s core, holding its elevators and stairs.

A worker amid a forest of rebar

A worker at the northern wall of the site

A bit less activity at the site for Tower 3 and Tower 4. Developer Larry Silverstein received the site from the Port Authority in February 2008, and is now doing foundation work.

The site for Tower 2. The Port Authority has until June 30 to excavate this down to bedrock, when it will owe Silverstein Properties $300,000 for each day’s delay. There is an incentive of around $10 million for the contractors to finish on time, according to a Port Authority spokeswoman.

Copyright 2008 The New York Observer.

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

wow. go get em nyc.

Quote Originally Posted by rmannion View Post

Taken 4/18/08.

Great job and thanks. You can even see that small Tishamn poster. I hope that they don't take them down for a long time. Maybe they put them up because they wanted people to be more aware of what's being built and knew it would be a good time because of the media with the Pope or maybe they wanted to just show how we are rebuilding. Seems like perfect weather too.

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

safe bet that the new path entrance being there had something to do with it. i'd love the chance to buy the one on the right once it's time for it to come down.

Lol I'll take my girl doin the message and if anyone wants to pour me some Jack I'll gladly take it.

People, I just found another new place about rebuilding and such. I haven't had much time to look at it, but it seems like they post good pictures too and they even have a cam that faces the other direction of the HD cam, giving us the ENTIRE view of the Tower 3 and Tower 2 plots:

http://www.rebuildgroundzero.org/

The Freedom Tower's plot can be seen too, and in a totally new perspective.
    Going to my faves list.

http://www.observer.com/2008/architects-have-blast-testing-freedom-tower

Architects Have a Blast Testing Freedom Tower

In a hillside bunker in a New Mexico desert two weeks ago, a New York architect peered through a periscope as, about 1,300 feet away, a simulacrum of the Freedom Tower’s exterior was blown up.

“Once the charge was detonated, even from a quarter of a mile away, the entire bunker shook,” said Carl Galioto, a partner at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, the architecture firm that designed One World Trade Center. The 1,776-foot-tall, spire-topped skyscraper, formerly known as the Freedom Tower, is slated to rise at the northwest corner of Ground Zero by 2012.

“The specimen performed beautifully, far exceeding our expectations,” Mr. Galioto said.

Which is to say that only portions, and not all, of the so-called specimen—a three-story mock-up of the building’s glass-and-aluminum facade—shattered in the isolated desert 90 minutes south of Albuquerque.

Mr. Galioto wouldn’t reveal the strength of the explosive device for security reasons, but said that a Port Authority security consultant and New York City law enforcement officials determined the criteria for the test.

“It is something that, having seen it, having participated in it, certainly raises my confidence in the project,” he said.

“Dynamic” testing—i.e., blowing up materials destined for building exteriors—is not standard operating procedure for skyscrapers. The technique, developed about a decade ago, is generally reserved for the construction of highly sensitive government buildings in foreign countries, like the American embassy that Skidmore, Owings & Merrill built in Beijing.

“But it’s now being applied to [other] buildings,” Mr. Galioto said. In fact, materials intended for another New York City tower—Mr. Galioto wouldn’t name the project, though he did say that his firm wasn’t designing it—were tested at the same laboratory days before the tests for One World Trade Center.

Thankfully, rainstorms and high winds are more commonplace than bombs in New York City, so Benson Industries, the contractor building the glass exterior for the architect, had to make sure the material could handle those environmental pressures, too.

Testing of another mock-up of the glass, which will cover one million square feet of the tower, took months and spanned a continent—wind tunnel tests outside of Toronto; thermal tests in Ontario, Calif.—all to ensure that the future tower can withstand apocalyptic wind speeds of up to 150 miles per hour, deluges of rain the likes of which New York has rarely seen, a low-level earthquake and rapidly changing temperatures.

But none of that compared to the drama of the blast test.

“The only way to reach the exact site was drive by four-wheel-drive vehicles for a number of miles,” Mr. Galioto said. “There was a dirt-and-rock road.”