Page 349 of 968 FirstFirst ... 249299339345346347348349350351352353359399449849 ... LastLast
Results 5,221 to 5,235 of 14513

Thread: WTC Tower One - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Default Burj Shmurj

I for one am not going to worship at the altar of Burj Dubai. Yes, it is an accomplish in height, but that building is totally innapropriate for Manhattan, or for that matter Chicago or any other 'established' city in the world. It (or similar design) would turn NYC into Emerald City from Wizard of Oz and be completely off-scale to the rest of the skyline. Were there several other buildings approaching it in height , say 1,900 and 2,100 ft, ok, then maybe. But there is really no organic need for such extremes at the moment. If this economic disastor can be turned around, then alright, maybe we can reward ourselves as a city and nation with an uber-tall signature skyscraper, but right now it is innapropriate.

I got excited when I saw the chamfer. But it doesn't look like the steel has advanced since then.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuy View Post
    I for one am not going to worship at the altar of Burj Dubai.
    I'm not even talking about the aesthetic aspect of it, although I do think it is beautiful, and that does not stand true for a lot of other buildings in its height category. I think building on that scale really changes the rules for urban development. The functionality of buildings on that scale is more exciting than skyline aesthetics. If it can be implemented right, you could reduce the amount of suburbs in the region, that are turning the tri-state area into Phoenix.

It does finally expose the 800 pound gorilla in the room: the flying cars are way over do.

The Dude Abides

You're ignoring a very crucial distinction between building tall and building dense.

Burj Dubai is a tall building, but its functionality is not the same as a density-maximizer. It's highrise living for the uber-wealthy, who tend to live in low densities anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686 View Post
    You're ignoring a very crucial distinction between building tall and building dense.
    Building tall CAN equal building dense.

Random Personality

^^ But Burj Dubai is the worst possible example. Have you seen the plans for the giant mall and lake and park adjoined to it? It is anything but dense.

Quote Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
    It is anything but dense.
    You're right, it isn't. But we still need the flying cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadly View Post
    Building tall CAN equal building dense.
    Yes but a huge tall building in a desert is not dense at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa View Post
    I'd be interested to know which Financial Institutions have provided the funding commitments (over and above the govt funding). If the bank is no longer in business, the bank won't be there to fund the commitments, there'd be no cash to build with.
    A big chunk of the money is going to come from the Insurance settlement. Whether there are any, or will be any, bank loans is something I don't know.

There was an article in the Star Ledger the other day about a building in Dubai the foundations of witch are already being constructed that well be over 3,000 feet tall. I believe the quoted height was 1,000 meters.

I said it before and I'll say it again, building the "tallest building in the world" is stupid cause someone well come along and build a taller one.

The financing not covered by insurance payouts is covered by PA construction Bonds. Silversteen has financing from insurance payments and "un-disclosed" financial institutions.

The preasure to build higher in Manhattan will not force "Supertall" buildings untell all the avalible currently occupied low-rise buildings are replaced by highrise buildings. That process is thundering along as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    ^
    The only thing I disagreed with is that NYC is less "built out" than Tokyo or Hong Kong.

If your argument is against sprawl in general - a greater impact can be made by rethinking the density of suburbs and exurbs then by forcing Manhattan to solve the problem.
    It all started with Levittown!

Quote Originally Posted by DarrylStrawberry View Post
    lowermanhattan.info

T1 site

Now I see why its taking so long to build... I count 18 guys + the 2 crane drivers that makes a total of 20 guys building the tallest and most important tower in the country!

You've gotta be kidding.

Incorrect. There are more workers than that.

More workers will come along when the tower's steel begins to soar into the sky.

And don't forget that it's the concrete core that seems to make it go so slow because it has to cure and harden as it rises. Also, that the steel for the infrastructure will be encased in concrete as well.

There are supposed to be at least 200 or so workers there at present in that spot.
    Last edited by Daquan13; October 10th, 2008 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
    More workers will come along when the tower's steel begins to soar into the sky.

And don't forget that it's the concrete core that seems to make it go so slow because it has to cure and harden as it rises. Also, that the steel for the infrastructure will be encased in concrete as well.

There are supposed to be at least 200 or so workers there at present in that spot.
    so there are possibly 180 "ghost" payroll workers?