Page 402 of 968 FirstFirst ... 302352392398399400401402403404405406412452502902 ... LastLast
Results 6,016 to 6,030 of 14513

Thread: WTC Tower One - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Great shots meh cd!

Yeah, looks like the North Core will be at the same level as the South Core soon!

Hopefully before year's end, we'll see the outer steel colums rise some more!

We'll see tower section steel start rising in 3 months according to the schedule. The schedule seems on time considering they are already "substantially to grade." In one year from now, we'll see the start of fireproofing and curtainwall installation.

So assuming that within a couple of months all of the plaza is at grade, the North core has caught up with the South one and the North crane jumps to the same level, what are the next few milestones related to the vertical progress of the tower? How long till they complete the bunker base and how quickly will individual floors rise after that?

Yeah, it seems to be accelerating more now than it did before, almost as fast as 7 WTC did when IT was being built!

Quote Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/34471641@N07/3697499865/

Tower 1 again. Notice the fenced off area on the right? There's guys with some kind of hazmat gear (plastic suit, booties) putting stuff in black plastic bags and tossing them in the black trailers. I assume they are still cleaning up that mess from 9/11 that I think Zen mentioned. Something about a vehicle leaking all over the street.
    \
    Looks like they are getting ready to remove another section of the Vesey street overhang..

Nice Catch!

They better step up the Fulton Street Work if that is going to serve as an access road.

Default 1968 v. 2009

These shots recall a memory from 1968. On a road trip to Florida, my Dad drove down the West Side Highway, past what was then the construction site for the original WTC, which at the time looked exactly like the grade-level assortment of wooden forms and cranes you see today. In 1968 we drove past the site at 60 mph but I do remember it clearly. Some 41 years later, I'm that much older and seeing history once more. In 41 more years I hope to be able to remember both the 1968 and 2009 views of the WTC during construction.

It has just dawned on me that the PATH tracks aren't visible now, and are completely hidden from plain view.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenSteelDude View Post
    Look very closely at the floor numbers. Notice anything missing? Say like floors 7 through 19 and 94 through 99. Be nice if someone would [correct] the Wiki page.

OMG, I just went to the skyscraperpage.com forum, they make ssc look like a think tank. And they site those [edit] on Wiki !!!!!!!!!!!

[edit]

I don't feel misled by them counting the 7th floor as floor 20. The bottom floors are much taller than the office floors, like the lobby. It would be weird to call the floor next floor above the lobby the 2nd floor, when it's like 50 feet in the air. If you look at the blueprints of the Twin Towers, the mezzanine above the lobby floor was called the 2nd floor and the next floor above the lobby ceiling was floor 7. I think one floor should be defined as one "rotation" you would make climbing the stairwell (meaning, every other landing).

BTW, looking at that pic looking down Greenwich Street, it makes me think that even if the temporary hub has to stay open longer than expected (which looks more and more like it'll be the case), they can probably still open Greenwich Street earlier by having a small stretch of it curve eastward AROUND the existing hub entrance.
    Last edited by RKOwens4; July 9th, 2009 at 04:36 PM.

I'm not upset by the floor numbering, I've known about it for 2 years. I was irked about all the bad info out there like on Wiki.

You are right, floors 2 through 6 have about a 20 foot slab to slab average where as the office floors have a 13' 1" slab to slab measurement.
    So if one takes the hight of the base of the tower, 186 feet, (floors 1 through 20) and divide by 13 ya get 14.3, only 5 floors missing from there numbering.

Forum Veteran

7/9/09

Whoa something changed there. The piece of formwork that was raised is gone?

One of the climbing form frames and platform is gone, but oddly, the forms are still there. Maybe they are going to use a different form system from there on up. Hope they use the same form system they're using at #4 !

Can't tell the difference.