Page 51 of 968 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151551 ... LastLast

Thread: WTC Tower One - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Default Re: Freedom Tower

Quote Originally Posted by BigMac
    Here is a site with images and animations of the Freedom Tower.
    There's a large rendering of the Freedom Tower with the observatory and restaurant more visible...

I can't believe no one had checked SOM's site. Do I have to do everything around here? :P Thanks, Big Mac.

The URL in the link above to SOM is not available on their web site which is a flash site. Unless you somehow know it you could not find it. At least, I couldn't and believe me I've checked.

Quote Originally Posted by JMGarcia
    The URL in the link above to SOM is not available on their web site which is a flash site. Unless you somehow know it you could not find it. At least, I couldn't and believe me I've checked.
    I found it out of luck. I did a Google search recently for "Freedom Tower images" and there it was.

I like the tower's new design, but a part of me wishes it had a more original style instead of invoking the Statue of Liberty...though I can appreciate the intention and inspiration thereof. But as someone said, we only need one Statue of Liberty. That's one reason why the twin towers worked so well as a backdrop to it: They complimented, not mimicked, the Statue's place in the skyline.

I don't find anything wrong with the idea of the replacement tower somehow complimenting that iconic statue, as long as it works. In this case I don't believe that it ensures a good design, and adhereing to that notion is limiting the potential for this tower.

However, the argument that Libeskind is "mimicking" or "copying" the Statue of Liberty as though he wants to build another one, that "one is enough" or "we don't need another one", seriously weakens the credibility of the other arguments put forth from those who dislike the proposed design, IMO.

No offense BigMac or anyone, I appreciate your input, but that's been a pet peeve of mine from the beginning.

I should reiterate that I do like the design, and this kind of building is certainly an admirably original concept per se. I'm sure it will work. Also, I'm hoping that the nearby WTC 7 will not seem too out of place with the rest of the complex. As for the originally proposed sky garden, maybe that could still be implemented somehow...perhaps on the observation level, or even among the windmills?

Quote Originally Posted by NYatKNIGHT
    I don't find anything wrong with the idea of the replacement tower somehow complimenting that iconic statue, as long as it works. In this case I don't believe that it ensures a good design, and adhereing to that notion is limiting the potential for this tower.

However, the argument that Libeskind is "mimicking" or "copying" the Statue of Liberty as though he wants to build another one, that "one is enough" or "we don't need another one", seriously weakens the credibility of the other arguments put forth from those who dislike the proposed design, IMO.

No offense BigMac or anyone, I appreciate your input, but that's been a pet peeve of mine from the beginning.
    It has been my observation that a lot of complaints about the various plans and buildings so far are because of the desire to see something different altogether rather than on the merits of a particular feature and how well/poorly it has been designed.

For example, the original nine plans in the "design study" were denegrated by many not on their own merit, but because they did not fit a preconcieved notion that twin towers should be the only rebuilding solution. Its almost like people are looking for something to denegrate in the hopes that the decisions made so far will be changed.

It is perhaps a hope sprung from the supposed ditching of the 6 original site plans. I find this laughable because they have not really been ditched at all, just repackaged. We're getting one of them in fact. The difference being that the placeholders and massing models in the original site plan are finally being filled in with actual designs.

I find this laughable because they have not really been ditched at all, just repackaged. We're getting one of them in fact. The difference being that the placeholders and massing models in the original site plan are finally being filled in with actual designs.
    I came across The Berzon Report last night, and while I'm hesitant to believe all that is suggested, I was surprised when I saw it pointed out how similar Libeskind's proposal is to the rejected "Memorial Plaza" plan (more in this PDF).

Banned Member

Old news. Read the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMac
    I find this laughable because they have not really been ditched at all, just repackaged. We're getting one of them in fact. The difference being that the placeholders and massing models in the original site plan are finally being filled in with actual designs.
    I came across The Berzon Report last night, and while I'm hesitant to believe all that is suggested, I was surprised when I saw it pointed out how similar Libeskind's proposal is to the rejected "Memorial Plaza" plan (more in this PDF).
    Definitely old news but the perfect example of my point about looking for things to pick on in the vain hopes of effecting change. For instance, Berzon seeks to show deep seated corruption and illegal behaviour in the hopes of having another design picked.

Right, when in reality most of the people who "rejected" the original designs by BB&B had no idea what they were looking at.

Worse, even if they knew what they were looking at they didn't have the experience to be able to extrapolate it properly. Public judging was done based on the quality of the presentation more or less.

To add to that, its amazing to me, for example, how many people change their opinion of the Freedom Tower based on seeing larger renderings or renderings given a different color spectrum.

Yup, same thing with Reflecting Absence.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    Maybe extra width on Vesey will hide those pounds.
    that might help, Zippy, but the problem appears to be genetic.