Page 574 of 968 FirstFirst ... 74474524564570571572573574575576577578584624674 ... LastLast
Results 8,596 to 8,610 of 14513

Thread: WTC Tower One - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

I was thinking something similar earlier. Lofter's post made me think it is kind of futile, basically being in the same place as we were 40 years ago. However, what is the alternative, nothing...or that birdcage.

Once the construction netting starts to rise the new 1WTC will look far more open than the ribbed-in-steel original ever did.

And I think the real beautiy of the tower is that it will have a glimmering and shiny new mirror-like glass facade almost similar to the one on 7 WTC!

It will retain its beauty, style and elegance for many years to come!!

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    Of course I wasn't around then but I'm sure it must have seem much more exciting back in 1969 than it is now.

The WTC at that time was entering into unchartered territory as far as height was concern. It was on its way to becoming the world's tallest building. Not only that but there were maybe only a few buildings (3 or 4?) in the whole world at the time that was even taller than 1000 feet and 2 of them was going to be in New York.

Not so much today, where there must be half a dozen supertalls going up in any one time in China alone!
    In June of 1970 my family moved to Kearny, NJ. My dad, a Methodist Minister, was just assigned to the church there.

From the top of the church steeple we had a grand view of Manhattan and the MASSIVE towers going up at the new WTC. (We used the telescope my Grandfather gave me for my BD)

Even as a child of 8 I knew that what we were looking at was very special.

9/11 destroyed the Towers, but nothing can destroy those fond memories.

(The North Tower toped out on December 23, 1970)
    (Shouldn't I be getting Senior perks or something)
    Last edited by ZenSteelDude; August 23rd, 2010 at 06:24 PM. Reason: expanding thoughts

BofA eyes space at 1 WTC
    Freedom Tower’s new downtown hot spot
    Last Updated: 2:48 AM, August 24, 2010

Posted: 1:37 AM, August 24, 2010

Comments: 0 | More Print
    Steve Cuozzo
    REALITY CHECK
    Believe it or not, Bank of America — having comfortably settled into its grand new tower at 1 Bryant Park — is on the prowl for up to 1 million square feet more of office space in Manhattan.

And that could spell more good news for 1 World Trade Center, the supertall, and suddenly superhot, Ground Zero tower now under construction by the Port Authority.

Condé Nast recently signed a letter of intent with the PA for about 1 million square feet in the 2.6 million square-foot skyscraper, and this column last month broke the news that Bank of NY Mellon is at least taking a good look at it.

Chad Rachman/N.Y.Post
    MAKE ROOM: Bank of America is inquiring about space at 1 WTC, the suddenly super-hot, tower under construction by the Port Authority.
    Now, we’ve learned, BofA has requests for proposals out with landlords both inMidtown and downtown to replace roughly 1 million square feet it has in some older buildings including 1185 Sixth Ave. and 114 West 47th St., where leases expire in a few years.

Sources said the bank prefers at least half of its relocation space to be at a newly minted address with features similar to those at 1 Bryant Park, which it co-owns with Douglas Durst — i.e., LEED-certified environmental design, advanced electronic technology and relatively column-free floor plates.

In Midtown, the only suitable location would seem to be 11 Times Square, where 500,000 feet remain up for grabs.

Downtown, only 1 WTC (in which Durst now holds a minority stake) is in fullbore construction for completion in 2013. Larry Silverstein’s 4 WTC could offer comparably modern space, but construction above a six-story base awaits completion of a financing agreement between him and the PA.

In other words, after years of being derided in certain quarters, 1 WTC is the hottest game in town.

The tower’s Cushman & Wakefield leasing team led by vice-chairman Tara Stacom — 1 WTC’s agent since 2007, whom we ridiculously managed to chop out of last week’s item about the project — would seem to be sitting pretty with the Condé Nast term-sheet in hand.

BofA has tapped a Stacomled Cushman & Wakefield team including John Cushman, Mitch Konsker and Melissa Bazar to handle its Midtown search, and Jones Lang LaSalle’s John Ryan and Mike Shenot to explore downtown.

Stacom declined to comment and Ryan did not return a call.

Meanwhile, BoNY, repped by JLL’s Peter Riguardi, is known to crave a new headquarters that would bring the venerable bank’s image into the modern age — which its longtime home at beautiful but obsolescent 1 Wall Street can’t do. Again, 1 WTC would seem to fit the bill. Riguardi declined to comment other than to note that BoNY is looking at other locations as well.

But, what about two widely reported government “leases” at 1 WTC that have yet to be signed—the US General Services Administration and the New York State Offices of General Services for a total 1 million square feet?

With Condé Nast apparently headed for a deal and two great banks kicking the tires, you can’t help ask why the world’s most important new office building should devote 40 percent of its space to government agencies.

A GSA lease might make sense. But the OGS, which handles such crucial missions as providing parking for employees of a nearbroke Albany?

Big changes have come to 950 Third Ave., the gleaming, 32-story office building at the southwest corner of East 57th Street that’s always seemed inscrutable behind its mirrored-glass façade — believed to be the first of its kind in the city

The 325,000 square-foot tower has quietly changed hands through an internal restructuring which gives full control to Naomi and Andre Altholz. They previously held an approximately 25 percent stake in the building long held by Kipp-Stawski, the well-respected partnership that bought the 1971-built property in 1978.

scuozzo@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...#ixzz0xWf2dTEG

the article mistakenly refers to 4 WTC being only financed to the 6 story stub.. That is obviously a reference to 3 WTC.

Quote Originally Posted by BiggieSmalls View Post
    the article mistakenly refers to 4 WTC being only financed to the 6 story stub.. That is obviously a reference to 3 WTC.
    If they committed to 1M SqFt in T3, wouldn't that be enough to trigger the PA financing and allow SP to build it immediately?

New level of vertical steel is going up this morning

Quote Originally Posted by uakoops View Post
    If they committed to 1M SqFt in T3, wouldn't that be enough to trigger the PA financing and allow SP to build it immediately?
    last i read T3 was 2 million sqFt so that would be over40%

Already the vertical thrust of the new 1WTC is becoming very apparent. This tower is going to be damned impressive.

not too many can pull off the vertical thrust

Count me out.

Preparing for some more vertical thrust...

Crane #3 platform

Quote Originally Posted by ZenSteelDude View Post
    In June of 1970 my family moved to Kearny, NJ. My dad, a Methodist Minister, was just assigned to the church there.

From the top of the church steeple we had a grand view of Manhattan and the MASSIVE towers going up at the new WTC. (We used the telescope my Grandfather gave me for my BD)

Even as a child of 8 I knew that what we were looking at was very special.

9/11 destroyed the Towers, but nothing can destroy those fond memories.

(The North Tower toped out on December 23, 1970)
    (Shouldn't I be getting Senior perks or something)
    I can truly relate to that story. During the building of the World Trade center my wifes’ father would rise early every moring to go downtown and photophotograph ‘every’ acspect of the construction process: we now have several photo albums dedicated to that project. I too have a particular fondness for the Twins.

BTW…. My grandad was a Minister at the ‘Lutheran Church’ in Manchester CT. Talk about kindred spirits.

Cheers

http://nathan-hale.ci.manchester.ct....n-church-s.htm