Page 633 of 968 FirstFirst ... 133533583623629630631632633634635636637643683733 ... LastLast
Results 9,481 to 9,495 of 14513

Thread: WTC Tower One - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

  1. #9481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigchet View Post
    I know how to fix the top of tower two, GAGOYLES. All the way around.
    Peeing cherubs would be far superior.

  2. #9482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 195Broadway View Post
    Peeing cherubs would be far superior.
    On Donald Trumps head?

  3. #9483

  4. #9484
    Forum Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,126

    Default

    I didn't realize either there would be no deck. What a failure of design

  5. #9485

    Default

    Failure of design? It was never promised to us. Just because the original had one. Also with broadcast signals going out on the roof you can't have the public that close. On the original WTC tower the tv broadcast tower was on 1WTC so the outside deck was on 2WTC away from that zone under it. It would be nice if they had an outside area up on tower 2 some how.

  6. #9486
    Fearless Photog RoldanTTLB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Broomfield, CO
    Posts
    2,910

    Default

    There's a floor open to the public for viewing, just nothing outside. Honestly, it would be crazy cold and crazy windy out there, all things considered. Also, as a solid glass pile does not lend itself to a "deck." Even the incredibly awesome thingamajig at the Sears Tower (nee Willis Tower), isn't a deck...

  7. #9487
    Forum Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tall View Post
    Failure of design? It was never promised to us. Just because the original had one. Also with broadcast signals going out on the roof you can't have the public that close. On the original WTC tower the tv broadcast tower was on 1WTC so the outside deck was on 2WTC away from that zone under it. It would be nice if they had an outside area up on tower 2 some how.
    Absolutely a failure of design. This tower is meant to be a replacement of what was lost (a failure in itself because instead of 2 we now have 1), and the WTC was known for it's breathtaking outdoor observation deck. Now everyone will be penned inside and will never get to experience the sensation of looking over all of manhattan at that vantage point from the outside. The deck should have been a priority, but I'm not surprised


    Quote Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
    There's a floor open to the public for viewing, just nothing outside. Honestly, it would be crazy cold and crazy windy out there, all things considered. Also, as a solid glass pile does not lend itself to a "deck." Even the incredibly awesome thingamajig at the Sears Tower (nee Willis Tower), isn't a deck...
    That sort of made the old WTC unique, wouldn't you say? Lost for good, the cliche isn't so lame because the terrorists did win something here considering what is not going to be replaced

  8. #9488
    Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Nairobi Hilton
    Posts
    8,511

    Default

    Wah wah wah. They can go to 34th. St.

  9. #9489
    Forum Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,126

    Default

    You mean 49th st, the ESB OD is a joke

  10. #9490

    Default

    Personally, I think an out door observation deck is kind of over rated. I've been to the old deck in July and December. Even at 1,368 feet up it was too hot in July and the day we went in December it was crystal clear and colder than Fairbanks, AK! (Thank the Lord there was little wind.)

    Out doors is over rated. (Spoken like a true geek !)

  11. #9491
    Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Nairobi Hilton
    Posts
    8,511

    Default

    If I meant 49th. St. I would have written 49th. St. I did not write 49th. St.

  12. #9492

    Default

    Hell with the deck. I wanna change the lightbulb on the tip of the spire.
    Good weather is overrated. The last time I went up the ESB it was empty because of overcast. The clouds ended about 800 feet and you looked over a pearly white sea with nothing but the tips of the tallest buildings sticking out. One of the most magical moments of my life and nobody saw it because anything but sunshine is "terrible weather"
    It's sad what folks miss because they don't want to risk their comfort.

  13. #9493
    Fearless Photog RoldanTTLB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Broomfield, CO
    Posts
    2,910

    Default

    I mean, unique in as much as it's one of a number of buildings with an outdoor observation deck? I guess it has a few hundred feet on the next tallest one, but it's also much further away from all the tall buildings in Manhattan than the other two (midtown is certainly taller than downtown). I don't know, it's just one of those things. Let's bring back the helicopter pad on top of Pan Am (nee Metlife). Then we can be unique like Los Angeles. There's not much that can be unique about a skyscraper these days...

  14. #9494

    Default

    49st is rock center and yes it does have a better ob deck then ESB

  15. #9495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Absolutely a failure of design. This tower is meant to be a replacement of what was lost (a failure in itself because instead of 2 we now have 1), and the WTC was known for it's breathtaking outdoor observation deck. Now everyone will be penned inside and will never get to experience the sensation of looking over all of manhattan at that vantage point from the outside. The deck should have been a priority, but I'm not surprised


    That sort of made the old WTC unique, wouldn't you say? Lost for good, the cliche isn't so lame because the terrorists did win something here considering what is not going to be replaced
    This tower was not meant to be a near perfect replacement of what was lost. they should have rebuilt the original twins from1970 if that was the case. But this isn't 1970 its 2011 This is fine for 2011. In 1970 alot of people disliked or hated the twins but then grew to love them. "FACT"

Similar Threads

  1. New 51-story tower Downtown
    By NYguy in forum New York Real Estate
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: January 17th, 2006, 09:20 PM
  2. Renderings CIBC Tower
    By NoyokA in forum New York Real Estate
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: July 19th, 2003, 07:17 PM
  3. 3 Buildings From 1830's Threatened By a Tower - Downtown
    By Kris in forum New York Real Estate
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: March 29th, 2003, 11:08 AM
  4. A Home Depot in the Bloomberg Tower?
    By NYguy in forum New York Real Estate
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: March 15th, 2003, 03:16 AM
  5. Special Issues for Merrill, the Landlord
    By Edward in forum New York Real Estate
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 23rd, 2002, 12:04 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Google+ - Facebook - Twitter - Meetup

Edward's photos on Flickr - Wired New York on Flickr - In Queens - In Red Hook - Bryant Park - SQL Backup Software