Page 633 of 968 FirstFirst ... 133533583623629630631632633634635636637643683733 ... LastLast
Results 9,481 to 9,495 of 14513

Thread: WTC Tower One - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Quote Originally Posted by bigchet View Post
    I know how to fix the top of tower two, GAGOYLES. All the way around.
    Peeing cherubs would be far superior.

Quote Originally Posted by 195Broadway View Post
    Peeing cherubs would be far superior.
    On Donald Trumps head?

Forum Veteran

I didn't realize either there would be no deck. What a failure of design

Failure of design? It was never promised to us. Just because the original had one. Also with broadcast signals going out on the roof you can't have the public that close. On the original WTC tower the tv broadcast tower was on 1WTC so the outside deck was on 2WTC away from that zone under it. It would be nice if they had an outside area up on tower 2 some how.

There's a floor open to the public for viewing, just nothing outside. Honestly, it would be crazy cold and crazy windy out there, all things considered. Also, as a solid glass pile does not lend itself to a "deck." Even the incredibly awesome thingamajig at the Sears Tower (nee Willis Tower), isn't a deck...

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by tall View Post
    Failure of design? It was never promised to us. Just because the original had one. Also with broadcast signals going out on the roof you can't have the public that close. On the original WTC tower the tv broadcast tower was on 1WTC so the outside deck was on 2WTC away from that zone under it. It would be nice if they had an outside area up on tower 2 some how.
    Absolutely a failure of design. This tower is meant to be a replacement of what was lost (a failure in itself because instead of 2 we now have 1), and the WTC was known for it's breathtaking outdoor observation deck. Now everyone will be penned inside and will never get to experience the sensation of looking over all of manhattan at that vantage point from the outside. The deck should have been a priority, but I'm not surprised

Quote Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
    There's a floor open to the public for viewing, just nothing outside. Honestly, it would be crazy cold and crazy windy out there, all things considered. Also, as a solid glass pile does not lend itself to a "deck." Even the incredibly awesome thingamajig at the Sears Tower (nee Willis Tower), isn't a deck...
    That sort of made the old WTC unique, wouldn't you say? Lost for good, the cliche isn't so lame because the terrorists did win something here considering what is not going to be replaced

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Wah wah wah. They can go to 34th. St.

Forum Veteran

You mean 49th st, the ESB OD is a joke

Personally, I think an out door observation deck is kind of over rated. I've been to the old deck in July and December. Even at 1,368 feet up it was too hot in July and the day we went in December it was crystal clear and colder than Fairbanks, AK! (Thank the Lord there was little wind.)

Out doors is over rated. (Spoken like a true geek !)

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

If I meant 49th. St. I would have written 49th. St. I did not write 49th. St.

Hell with the deck. I wanna change the lightbulb on the tip of the spire.
    Good weather is overrated. The last time I went up the ESB it was empty because of overcast. The clouds ended about 800 feet and you looked over a pearly white sea with nothing but the tips of the tallest buildings sticking out. One of the most magical moments of my life and nobody saw it because anything but sunshine is "terrible weather"
    It's sad what folks miss because they don't want to risk their comfort.

I mean, unique in as much as it's one of a number of buildings with an outdoor observation deck? I guess it has a few hundred feet on the next tallest one, but it's also much further away from all the tall buildings in Manhattan than the other two (midtown is certainly taller than downtown). I don't know, it's just one of those things. Let's bring back the helicopter pad on top of Pan Am (nee Metlife). Then we can be unique like Los Angeles. There's not much that can be unique about a skyscraper these days...

49st is rock center and yes it does have a better ob deck then ESB

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Absolutely a failure of design. This tower is meant to be a replacement of what was lost (a failure in itself because instead of 2 we now have 1), and the WTC was known for it's breathtaking outdoor observation deck. Now everyone will be penned inside and will never get to experience the sensation of looking over all of manhattan at that vantage point from the outside. The deck should have been a priority, but I'm not surprised

That sort of made the old WTC unique, wouldn't you say? Lost for good, the cliche isn't so lame because the terrorists did win something here considering what is not going to be replaced
    This tower was not meant to be a near perfect replacement of what was lost. they should have rebuilt the original twins from1970 if that was the case. But this isn't 1970 its 2011 This is fine for 2011. In 1970 alot of people disliked or hated the twins but then grew to love them. "FACT"