Page 650 of 968 FirstFirst ... 150550600640646647648649650651652653654660700750 ... LastLast
Results 9,736 to 9,750 of 14513

Thread: WTC Tower One - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

well i have been keeping up with the world trade center site for a year now i discovered this site a few months ago and i finally got a user name, i love wired new york.com i am glad to be a part of it! i am a bit excited with the posts and i love posting even though i live out of new york.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Try to keep each post with five photos each or less. It helps the pages load a lot faster for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
    Is it now as tall as Seven (7 WTC)?
    7WTC is 741 feet tall. After 1WTC rises another 4 floors, it'll be 720 feet tall. When it rises 6 floors from where it is now, it'll be 747 feet tall.

^7WTC is 750 feet. The 741 elevation is only to the top of the glass parapet.

There have been conflicting theories as to Seven's actual height. The tower has been said to br 750, then 741.

In any case, the height of the tower is not really important to me. Just the fact that One WTC is about to eclipse it in a few short days.

There's no conflict. 741 to the perimeter, 750 to the top of the little structure in the middle of the roof.

Currently 1 WTC is 666'8" at floor 56 or 670' to the steel splices. The next vertical steel should bring that to 693'6" for floor 58. Or 698' to the splices. Then Floor 60 is 720'4" The splices are 724'. Floor 62 should be at 747'2" or 751'+for the splices on floor 62. If im wrong let me know. This is all based on 13'4" floors and 4' splices.

Quote Originally Posted by STR View Post
    There's no conflict. 741 to the perimeter, 750 to the top of the little structure in the middle of the roof.

Never knew that there was a little projection on the roof, bringing the tower to that height.
    Last edited by Daquan13; February 12th, 2011 at 11:28 AM.

You're right, whether it's 741 or 750 makes little difference, with any building it's difficult to say what the height is, because on no building is the roof completely 100% flat. For example...

But I don't think it'll be a few days before 1WTC surpasses 7WTC. It still has 6 floors to go, and even at a floor a week it would be 6 weeks, and sadly the pace the last couple months or so has only been about 2 floors a month. But now that NYC finally appears to be coming out of that hellish winter (the 10 day forecast doesn't show snow at all), hopefully they can get back to their normal pace.

Quote Originally Posted by RKOwens44 View Post
    You're right, whether it's 741 or 750 makes little difference, with any building it's difficult to say what the height is, because on no building is the roof completely 100% flat. For example...

But I don't think it'll be a few days before 1WTC surpasses 7WTC. It still has 6 floors to go, and even at a floor a week it would be 6 weeks, and sadly the pace the last couple months or so has only been about 2 floors a month. But now that NYC finally appears to be coming out of that hellish winter (the 10 day forecast doesn't show snow at all), hopefully they can get back to their normal pace.

You might be right, since it appears that that latest onslaught of weekly and seemingly back-to-back wild bunch of snowstorms has really slowed things down with Ground Zero!!

The workers can't really do any skyscraper work in inclement weather due to OSHA safety rules. Sadly, this has put things back a little, but things should start to pick up soon, as spring approaches and the dry warm weather will definitly be a welcome change for everyone!!

Yeah, I remember that slightly upward curve toward the center on the North Tower. Hard to tell if there will be one on the new One WTC because of the planned circle of "lights" and cables which will help support and stablise the spire.

Aside from the 1/4" per foot slope for drainage, the roof is flat.

Interesting note about the antenna on the Origonal North Tower.

Someone forgot to test the steel so rather than take a chance they enclosed the lower half and heated it during the winter cause they really didn't know if it would get brittle and snap in cold weather.

Would have been disastrous!!

Hah! I never knew that, very interesting. I've been studying the effects of temperature on materials in my civil engineering classes and find real world examples of it fascinating. BTW, I've been wondering why the placement of the steel arches over the PATH mezzanine suddenly stopped about a month ago, but now I think a possible reason may be that it was too cold for them to do it during January since the steel no doubt contracted a good 1 or 2 or 3 inches, which might seem minor but I've heard that the tolerance allowed for steel on other parts of the site is like an eighth of one inch! Might this be the reason (to anyone with any insider knowledge)?

Quote Originally Posted by RKOwens44 View Post
    It still has 6 floors to go, and even at a floor a week it would be 6 weeks, and sadly the pace the last couple months or so has only been about 2 floors a month.
    The last four floors fell behind schedule.

At the end of November, they completed 48 floors. Four weeks later, 52 floors. Floors 53-56 took six weeks.

So with all the snow and bad weather, only two weeks behind.