Page 681 of 968 FirstFirst ... 181581631671677678679680681682683684685691731781 ... LastLast
Results 10,201 to 10,215 of 14513

Thread: WTC Tower One - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

I'm not the only one still calling it that. Go to one or more of the other threads. It is in a news article someone posted on the WTC.

Some still call it that. Live with it.
    Last edited by Daquan13; April 8th, 2011 at 01:34 AM.

By my calculations it's still 2" shorter than 7. and it's not ground zero, it's the new WTC site.

Post something here about everyone jumping off a bridge . . . . . would you, knowing they are wrong ?

Where is it written that the term has been dropped? Show me actual proof of it, please. Prove me wrong.

This is excruciating.

DQ, why don't you just follow your own advice?

Is there a specific milestone you're waiting for to drop that name? Or is it just something of habit?

That member doesn't think that it should be called the WTC with the new buildings. And it IS the WTC, but it is also GZ.

When or until the land is completely built? Wasn't the land given that name after the terror attacks? It's been called that for years. Even though it is called the WTC site, it's been called that as well. Think that it'll change just like that? Don't you realise that it was a name that stuck?

Old habits die hard. Why do some seem so worked up when the term is used? You will hear it from time to time in the news. Will you tell THEM also, that it isn't called that? Just like WTC 1, or One WTC. Some still call it the Freedom Tower, even though the name was supposedly dropped.

Even though there is construction going on and buildings being put up in all spots.
    Last edited by Daquan13; April 8th, 2011 at 08:57 AM.

Will it still be GZ when the towers are up and there is a vacancy for the PAC?

Was the original WTC still called Radio Row while we were waiting for construction of the Marriott or the original 7WTC? Or even when the neighborhood was half demolished?
    Ground zero was the term for the disaster site and it's far from a disaster site now.

Will people still be pretending that casual terms with no official or technical definition are or aren't correct in a hundred years?
    Hopefully, they'll have something better and less annoying to do then.

Default Let's get serious

and sell the naming rights to the WTC/Ground Zero. Visualize this: Papa John's Center, or Dunkin' Donut's Trade Center. That would put an end to the argument.

Or perhaps we can just rename this thread 'Daquan's Twittererations.

I miss building updates. Zen Steel please rescue this thread!

Mile-High Tower Twice the Height of Burj Khalifa to be Built

Thursday, April 7, 2011, by Sarah Firshein

No sooner did pro spiderman Alain Robert scale Burj Khalifa in Dubai, currently the world's tallest tower, did the port city of Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, decide to stick it to the poor guy. Just greenlight: the Kingdom Tower, which, when complete, will stand one mile high—it takes 12 minutes to ascend to the top via elevator—and be filled with a mix of commercial, residential, and hotel space. As far as building teetering skyscrapers in the Middle East goes, developer Kingdom Holding knew exactly who to turn to: Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture—architect Adrian Smith had a hand in the design of Burj Khalifa. Turns out Kingdom Tower will be the very obvious, hulking, and hard-to-miss epicenter of a larger urban development expected to accommodate 80,000 people and cost more than $26B. Architizer has a video of a scale-model tour

The tower on the left is planned for Dubai, and is not so attractive (resembles an old NASA rocket).

The Jedda tower, on the other hand, looks really spectacular & elegant.

Nuts. Is this a status symbol for Jeddah or is there a real need?

Is there ever any real need for such a thing, besides to say "We're Number One"?

Similar to the situation at the original WTC (where we upped the ante x 2).

Quote Originally Posted by arcman210 View Post
    Will it still be GZ when the towers are up and there is a vacancy for the PAC?

Was the original WTC still called Radio Row while we were waiting for construction of the Marriott or the original 7WTC? Or even when the neighborhood was half demolished?
    Ground zero was the term for the disaster site and it's far from a disaster site now.

Radio Row was gone when the buildings were all demolished; That is true. The GZ name should disappear before or when the towers are all just about done. it won't even be called the WTC site by then. But every so often, people DO revert back to the name. Sometimes it can't be helped.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuy View Post
    and sell the naming rights to the WTC/Ground Zero. Visualize this: Papa John's Center, or Dunkin' Donut's Trade Center. That would put an end to the argument.

Or perhaps we can just rename this thread 'Daquan's Twittererations.

I miss building updates. Zen Steel please rescue this thread!

So that we don't get too far off, there seems to be a discrepancy with the magic words. I NEVER intended to argue here. That is the last thing on my mind.

But since some are assuming that, then that is on them. Sorry, but I'd very much appreciate it if you didn't start personally attacking me and throwng stones at me, TallGuy. Post something constructive, not your stupid IDIOCY!!

We are ALL anxiously awaiting the day when the whole spot of land is rebuilt and there are no holes in the ground there. Then the words no one seems to want to hear will all vanish. When all of the things planned are completed, we can all rejoice and look at the land as being whole again and not broken up.

The long waiting period IS getting shorter and shorter. even though it still seems far far away. And as long as there are no further delays, the "vision" will become a realtiy for everyone to see and enjoy.
    Last edited by Daquan13; April 21st, 2011 at 06:07 AM.