Page 683 of 968 FirstFirst ... 183583633673679680681682683684685686687693733783 ... LastLast
Results 10,231 to 10,245 of 14513

Thread: WTC Tower One - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

^^^ Thanks GB.

I hope everyone is praying for a mild DRY spring !

You've just scored 100 points, as I promised you, Zen! Pick up your prize on the way out the door.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by arcman210 View Post
    Will it still be GZ when the towers are up and there is a vacancy for the PAC?

Was the original WTC still called Radio Row while we were waiting for construction of the Marriott or the original 7WTC? Or even when the neighborhood was half demolished?
    Ground zero was the term for the disaster site and it's far from a disaster site now.
    Due mainly to the fact that they are immortalizing the footprints of the original towers as giant pits, the site will of course always be known as ground zero

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    bear it in silence
    After a bit of a break from here, I'm thrilled to see nothing's changed... time to grimace and bear it!

Thanks Daquan, though I have no idea what those 100 points will get me .

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Due mainly to the fact that they are immortalizing the footprints of the original towers as giant pits, the site will of course always be known as ground zero

Or will it ?!? Speaking as the friend of a mother who lost a son on 9/11 she is more than willing to never have to hear the words "Ground Zero" ever again.

She is one of those who has nothing to bury, nothing to point to and say "that is the earthly remains of my son".

Let us not forget the tragedy of 9/11 and those who were forever lost in the ashes of "Ground Zero".

Let us never be casual or cold or cruel or dismissive or unfeeling about that day and those who were lost.
    Last edited by ZenSteelDude; April 10th, 2011 at 10:46 PM.

Default Summit

Lower Manhatten from Summit New Jersey (20 miles away). Freedom tower still has a ways to go before it overtakes the skyline. Can you spot it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	207034_1905706916389_1053254491_2168204_7984890_n.jpg 
Views:	463 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	12735  

Quote Originally Posted by ZenSteelDude View Post
    Thanks Daquan, though I have no idea what those 100 points will get me .

A free ticket to visit the obs deck when it opens. Hah!!

Simmers98, I can see the tower near the middle there.

Then I guess the Mrs. will just have to buy her own ticket ! (Yea, right)

Another one by TowersNYC aka Carlos over at SSC. More columns added dispite the weather.

Seemed awfully slow catching up to and surpassing Seven!

But I imagine that the weather, at times, causes delays and work stoppage.

Zen, I'll thrown another ticket for the Mrs. Hah!!

So I go outside one day, it's raining and its cold, so I put what I have to do off for one day.

The next day it's near 80 degrees, and the humidity is a joke.

The following day it's rainy again and it feels like it's near 20 degrees. Geez, this weather can't make up its mind!

Spring has an uncanny way of introducing itself this year. But thankfully it looks like the weather will start to level out next week and construction will continue as usual. By the way, how many days are taken out of the year due to weather? By now I would have expected the topping out ceremony to be delayed.

I have a construction planning calender at work, it shows, on average, how many days of rain/snow per month to expect in an average year. I'm sure the contractors working the site chucked they'res in the trash by now !

Depending on the contracts and how they are written the contractor may me obligated to make up weather loss in order to meet the completion dates.
    Last edited by ZenSteelDude; April 13th, 2011 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BStyles View Post
    So I go outside one day, it's raining and its cold, so I put what I have to do off for one day.

The next day it's near 80 degrees, and the humidity is a joke.

The following day it's rainy again and it feels like it's near 20 degrees. Geez, this weather can't make up its mind!

Spring has an uncanny way of introducing itself this year. But thankfully it looks like the weather will start to level out next week and construction will continue as usual. By the way, how many days are taken out of the year due to weather? By now I would have expected the topping out ceremony to be delayed.

It's been that way for the past 5 years or so. We don't get a spring any more, even though it may LOOK like spring. We go straight from winter into summer!

We had a great long spring in NYC last year. Then July arrived and it was hell for six + weeks.

The forecast for today and tomorrow calls for sunny dry weather, so we should see some more steel rising for the tower.

I'm starting to see how many people that I know and on other forums are not so happy with the design. It just is just 'blah'. It isn't fitting for the tallest in NYC. There is just no 'there' there and the facade needs some detail.