Page 685 of 968 FirstFirst ... 185585635675681682683684685686687688689695735785 ... LastLast
Results 10,261 to 10,275 of 14513

Thread: WTC Tower One - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

When I lived on Governors Island I never missed the chance to go up to the roof of the old WTC and look back at the island.
    It might only be 500k of Quicktime, but it's close.
    Thanks STR.

Forum Veteran

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 1293.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	12760Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 1294.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	12759

Quote Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
    The classic example that I would say; when someone is all in the Kool-Aid, but doesn't know the flavor of it. Hah!

Futurecity, skyscrapers are skyscrapers. The only thing that sets them apart is the styling and the way that they are all built. I'm sure that they might have magnificent towers in Shanghai, but that is neither here or there, because we don't live in Shanghai. You praise the towers there - that is your perogative.

I, on the other hand, praise the towers in the USA and some in other countries. I could take them or leave them. That is why I say that whatever is being built for the NWTC, it is what we all have to get used to, reguardless if we like it or not.

I was stating my opinion that I and others have felt that this tower is a bit underwhelming. I was attacked for this reason because people are too ultra defensive over this tower. You can get used to the tower (it is very nice), but that doesn't mean we can't want more from our skyline and look to where more advanced and interesting designs are being built.
    Last edited by futurecity; April 16th, 2011 at 08:22 PM.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Less ultra defensive, and more ultra tired of your constant yammering.

You may be tired of my opinions, but that doesn't bother me. This is a place where people express opinions on design. This is the last time i'll respond to insulting posts like yours.
    Last edited by futurecity; April 16th, 2011 at 08:40 PM.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by STR View Post
    Preview:

Full Pano: http://www.mediafire.com/?vm1i2apr6231tp6

Requires Quicktime
    That's pretty neat STR. Do you have a website with all your renderings?

Quote Originally Posted by STR View Post
    ^ I have a running log
    Wonderful. Thank You. BTW do you know if the Queens Museum panorama of NY has been updated to include all the WTC buildings; if they have completed 3D model of the WTC site, I may make the pilgrimage to Queens to view the model.

The triangular expanse nearly to the top of 4WTC would be a fantastic opportunity for outside access, but doubt the public will ever be allowed there.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Maybe it will be an emergency helicopter landing area.

Quote Originally Posted by futurecity View Post

I was stating my opinion that I and others have felt that this tower is a bit underwhelming. I was attacked for this reason because people are too ultra defensive over this tower. You can get used to the tower (it is very nice), but that doesn't mean we can't want more from our skyline and look to where more advanced and interesting designs are being built.

Just like you are overly defensive about the 3 skyscrapers in Shanghai? You are not being attacked. At least, I don't look at it that way.

We all have our different opinions, thoughts and views about what is being built to replace the former towers on the 16-acre site. New York City, known as the King of Skyscrapers, is looking to build newer and better tall office towers every chance it gets.

You don't have to like WTC 1, but at the same time, you shouldn't knock others for liking and defending it.
    Last edited by Daquan13; April 17th, 2011 at 02:24 PM.

The 3 major skyscrapers in Shanghai are stunning. No one needs to defend such supreme brilliance, they do it for themselves.

Each building is incredibly foward looking.

Same thing is said for the new WTC as well.

Take into account the extreme massiveness of all the planned towers for the site. These will have the same greatness and majesty that the former towers once had before they were sadly and tragically destroyed.

China Center Unveils Indoor Garden Design
    for One World Trade Center

DNA INFO
    By Julie Shapiro
    DNAinfo Reporter/Producer

LOWER MANHATTAN — Something green is growing at One World Trade Center.

The China Center, the building's first tenant, unveiled plans Friday to build a vertical Chinese garden through their leased space on the 64th to 69th floors of the still-rising skyscraper.

The design, called "Folding Garden," includes green walls bursting with native Asian plants lining the building's winding hallways. The walls are meant to make visitors feel as though they're meandering through nature, rather than walking through one of the most secure office buildings in the world.

China Center Chairman Feng Lun said in a statement that he wants the design to show people a different view of China than they might find in New York's Chinatown.

"We want to create a new iconic environment at One World Trade Center to represent an open-minded and confident China that embraces all values," Lun said. "We want people to come here, look at the space, and say 'Wow! This is a side of China I haven't seen.'"

Cindy Lam, the project manager, said the design connects the floors vertically, so it is easy to see and travel between them.

"It's a very unique concept," Lam told DNAinfo Friday. "We're very excited about it."
    The team is now working on more detailed plans, including the number of green walls and the type of plants, Lam said.

The green walls will help the China Center pursue a LEED Platinum rating for the 200,000-square-foot space, which is scheduled to open in 2014.

The China Center, currently located in 7 World Trade Center, builds business and cultural bridges between China and the United States. Its new space will include an event center for corporate conferences and art shows, a private dining club and spa, a visitor center and more.

The idea for the garden design came from Chinese artist Zhou Wei, and Japanese architect Kengo Kuma will translate it into reality.

"By combining the unique, meandering spatial characteristics of the Chinese garden with several floors of the iconic One World Trade Center, we can arrive at a very special kind of design that is specific to China Center and to New York City, all at once," Kuma said in a statement.

"This is a very special opportunity that bridges modern and traditional motifs, architecture and nature, and most importantly the Chinese and American cultures."

Copyright 2009 - 2011 Digital Network Associates dba DNAinfo.com
    Last edited by Edward; April 19th, 2011 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Unaccessible picture link edited out

I would argue that the towers in Shanghai have plenty to defend. They might look nice on the skyline, but they have not a touch of humanity at their bases. There is no streetwall, there is no invitation to enter them. They really are just "icons" on the skyline. Why should we trade civility for design? Shall we all be damned to the architectural equivalents of the Juicy Salif? Buildings designed not to work, but to start conversations? Really?