Page 799 of 968 FirstFirst ... 299699749789795796797798799800801802803809849899 ... LastLast
Results 11,971 to 11,985 of 14513

Thread: WTC Tower One - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Default Welcome to New York

Now that the tower is capped and presented in it's final form (minus, of course, the antenna), now that the makeover of the site is somewhat complete and after watching the thing rise from a pit to an entity, I can only say --Welcome.
    Welcome to the skyline, welcome to the neighborhood, welcome to the City.
    Welcome back.

It may not appear to be the tallest building around, relative to wherever you may be standing, but it is a most distinctive building to be seen on the South End of Manhattan. Ghery's twisted tower, as pointed out several times, does command attention but it is STILL 30 floors short ( and what--900 feet??) of being the alpha skyscraper that 1 WTC has become and will finally top out as. And it only looks short when you see it from Brooklyn.
    So, Big Guy, welcome to New York.

--You will never be what your twin cousins were, but you'll do. And you can never command that strange combination of bland and striking that they ultimately became to the people who had to see them everyday, but your shiny skin and your mildly curious design will earn you a prominence on the skyline, like the Time-Warner twins did Uptown.

I spent some of my formative years watching the World Trade Towers go from a pit in Radio Row to Superblock, and I witnessed most of their birthing from a perch right across the street on a high floor in the Verizon building at Vesey and West. I worked there nearly 5 years during the construction phase. Each morning I'd come into work carrying a hot coffee and a Danish in a waxy bag and between bites and sips I'd add another floor or two to the inked diagram we had taped to one of our South facing windows. It was a crude kiddy-style pictograph of the tower rising across the street, a group effort, and it kept everyone at work apprised of the ongoing progress. After awhile, it became impossible to actually SEE the floors going in above us, so we would estimate what the changes were and scribble that onto the three-foot long scroll. By the time I quit my job (AND quit New York that same Winter season), both Twins had been skinned and the huge, sterile plaza that they sat upon had been completed. Our drawings of the building had become overlooked clutter.
    The diagram we had worked on so patiently for years just disappeared one day, never to be seen again-- it's probably hanging on some wall in Brooklyn or Phoenix, but who can say???
    Although I passed nearby a LOT, I never went into the Towers or took a Tourist's Tour of the building from up top until a few days before they were destroyed.

I watched them fall from a distance, in my living room in Florida and I watched their replacements emerge from the gruesome wreckage that Osama created. I visited the WTC wreckage several times when I was in NY, but I didn't get a chance to see the construction of the new building personally, as I did the originals. Here at Wired New York, through the "Times" or other publications
    and at several other sites, I closely followed the creation of the new World Trade Center. I got informed on my home computer, vicariously witnessing the (half-hearted, dragged out) plan to rebuild and rebirth a lost icon. I followed the construction here, mostly, from the outstanding photos that some members have been posting since the get-go.
    New York NEEDS these new towers, and while #1, the tallest of the upcoming skyscraper cluster being erected over Ground Zero, is still kind of a shorty (eclpsed almost monthly by taller towers in Dubai or Shanghai), it is about to become a suitable replacement for what was once there.

--So, #1 WTC, welcome back.
    Your name is the same but you look completely different.
    You certainly don't have the POWER the old buildings had, but then, there is only one of you.
    And you dont have the shifting qualties the old ones had either, the observation that, from one perspective made them look like solid aluminum monoliths, yet from another gave them that lacy, light feeling of skinny solid lines receding unto infinity.
    The new building is not so overpowering, not as dehumanizing as it's cousins were, either. It's glassy skin reflects and absorbs the sky, simultaneously, a distant relative to the strange architectural qualities the Twin Towers had; the base (still unfinished--does anyone know what it will finally look like?) rests on a tree-filled park rather than a cold stone platform and it appears friendly and approachable rather than cold, standoffish and authoritative, qualties that the old structures owned in abundance.
    It's lookalike partner, #7, another chunk of silver glass, helps to make them a cool set piece for the North side of the complex.

Over the years, I went from initially disliking the WTC Twins to grudgingly accepting them as part of the City I loved. I had an opinion, as did all Village residents of the time, and I went through a few phases of like and dislike before I saw them as inevitible. Eventually they became just another backdrop of The City, landmarks you could see from Brooklyn or City Island or from my rooftop on Thompson St. They were the ubiquitous skyline champ.
    One day, while coming back from Staten Island on the ferry, a particular combination of light and clouds caused me to see the inherent beauty in their design, and from then on I was a lifelong fan-- until the day I couldn't be. When they fell, it was like losing a friend (or two).

The new building, while not the supertall I had hoped it would be, is nice. I don't have to pass through any phases to appreciate it, it's just finally THERE, it is good design and it fits.
    Welcome to New York.
    Last edited by Hof; May 2nd, 2012 at 11:12 PM.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

The old ones weren't that pretty but they made a statement.

That first view is going to be a dramatic assembly of old and new when it's all built out.

April 6th, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24Tzk...ature=youtu.be

Hope everyone likes.

Default This morning

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0330.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	15233   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0331.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	15234   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0333.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	15235   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0350.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	15236   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0352.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	15237  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0353.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	15238   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0354.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	15239   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0358.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	15240   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0359.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	15241   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0362.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	15242  

Default More from today

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0377.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	15245   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0373.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	15244   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0366.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	15243   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0378.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	15246   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0382.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	15247  

From LMCC Website

Note on 1 WTC construction height:
    One World Trade Center now soars 100 stories into the sky -- based on creative counting. The Port Authority said the skyscraper is now about 1,240 feet above the ground, according to the Wall Street Journal and other April 2012 news reports. It reached 93 stories in late March. But after a story was added, the Port Authority now says the tower is at floor 100. How can that be? In actuality, floors 94 through 99 don't exist. That's because developers often number floors in strange ways based on varying floor heights and usability of the stories themselves. For example, the second actual inhabitable floor of 1 WTC after the ground floor is the 20th. And floors 91 through 93 are for mechanical equipment and thus are each much taller than an office floor. When complete, 1 WTC (or the Freedom Tower, as it was formerly known) will be 104 stories. It will feature observation decks on the 100th, 101st, and 102nd floors.

Daily Activities
    *The following information was last updated on April 6, 2012.
    • Tower steel is now above actual floor 93. It is expected to top out in late spring/early summer 2012.
    • Facade installation is now above floor 71
    • Concrete is now being installed above floor 90
    • Installation of the 400-foot-tall antenna in summer 2012.
    • Spray-on fireproofing underway
    • Elevator shaft fit-out
    • Multiple cranes on site for steel and concrete installation
    • Both the south and north cores are now being erected as the structure rises
    • "Cocoon" safety system now in place around upper perimeter, to rise with structure
    • Utility installation and tie-ins
    • Crews are coordinating substructure construction while maintaining PATH service

Forum Veteran

My WTC 1 pictures from yesterday...

From Jersey...

DSCN3402 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSCN3435 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSCN3430 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSCN3414 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

From the site

DSCN5274 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSCN5280 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSCN5283 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSCN5298 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr