Page 808 of 968 FirstFirst ... 308708758798804805806807808809810811812818858908 ... LastLast
Results 12,106 to 12,120 of 14513

Thread: WTC Tower One - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

If they want to talk about aesthetic issues why are they talking about the spire (who cares it was always ugly- and never visually fit)...
    it's the changes to the tapered base that are going to make this a "real inferior, less coherent building..."

It's true about the base, but I fear it's going to be ugly whether it tapers or not.

Are there any good renderings? Vertical fins sticking out from the building have me thinking of a giant heat-sink.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    It's true about the base, but I fear it's going to be ugly whether it tapers or not.
    It was designed by NYPD, whaddya expect?

NY Guy posted a picture of the original antenna enclosure on SSP, which I had been meaning to mention for a few days but I had yet to find the picture. When Durst started complaining about the panels this is the first thing that came to my mind.

No panels, but still some architectural flourish. I'm sure you all saw it a few years ago, but it's always nice to get a refresher.
    Last edited by HoveringCheesecake; May 16th, 2012 at 01:07 PM.

^
    Although an open structure, that's really a pure spire, not suitable for attaching transmitters.

^
    Although an open structure, that's really a pure spire, not suitable for attaching transmitters.
    Huh. I thought it was still going to have the antenna inside. What a shame.

That original spire was architecturally designed, but not properly engineered as an antenna enclosure. Also notice that the support cables are depicted as steel.

Obviously, these problems led to the evolution of the radome enclosure and the use of non-blocking cables.

If there was no intention to put a transmission center on the roof, the version you posted would probably have been the final design.

Best of the three, in my opinion.

That original spire was architecturally designed, but not properly engineered as an antenna enclosure. Also notice that the support cables are depicted as steel.

Obviously, these problems led to the evolution of the radome enclosure and the use of non-blocking cables.

If there was no intention to put a transmission center on the roof, the version you posted would probably have been the final design.

Best of the three, in my opinion.
    Indeed. I really liked this one. Now that you point out the cables and the smaller size of the spire I can tell that it wouldn't work with the antenna.

At this point I would prefer an antenna, appropriately labeled as one, that is identical visually and physically to the one that was on the original 1WTC, including the original height of 1,740' or whatever it was. At least that can be passed off as a nod to the original and nothing more, as this embarrassingly is.

I don't mind the new spire design so much. But I doubt if it will wind up looking nice and clean like that. Being the most prime rf territory on the east coast, I'm afraid it's going to end up like that mess on the ESB.
    I also don't much give a rats ass what the CTBUH thinks. They're the ones that passed off the absurd notion that Petronas was taller than Sears because of those oversized pencils on top.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SearsPetronas.jpg 
Views:	586 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	15424
    Last edited by Nomadd; May 16th, 2012 at 09:58 PM.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Plus, believe it or not, they started counting from the lowest basement floors.

Forum Veteran

It appears that Durst has missed this public attitude, which makes it ironic that they are building a media-antenna.
    That quote is a keeper!

Spirit of the original WTC: