Page 860 of 968 FirstFirst ... 360760810850856857858859860861862863864870910960 ... LastLast
Results 12,886 to 12,900 of 14513

Thread: WTC Tower One - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Forum Veteran

Ok thanks. I want to get down there that night to see it moving through the closed off streets with the traffic lights removed, etc.. Should quite a sight to behold

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/12/...-of-wtc-spire/

PS: THANKS IrishInNYC

Quote Originally Posted by IrishInNYC View Post
    Iris is my long lost sister
    HA! Sorry, typo.

Nice photos from gothamist: http://gothamist.com/2012/12/12/phot...ts.php#photo-1. I wish I had known exactly when this morning, I would have made sure to take this photo at a more opportune time.

NY Daily News
    December 12, 2012

First piece of One World Trade Center spire placed atop building 104-stories above Manhattan

16-foot-tall section weighing nearly 70 tons was lifted into position, bringing skyscraper one step closer to being tallest in Western hemisphere

BY ERIK BADIA AND CORKY SIEMASZKO

Video

The first piece of the Freedom Tower spire is lifted into place atop One World Trade Center in Manhattan.

One World Trade Center was crowned for Christmas with the first piece of a spire that will tower 1,776 feet over lower Manhattan when it is finished.

The 70-ton barrel-shaped section of steel was raised 104 stories Wednesday by a huge crane after hardhats readying it for its final journey gave the thumbs up. The trip up took about 45 minutes and a crew of 50. It was completed at 9 a.m.

“We’re getting very close to the end of a long and wonderful journey,” said Steve Plate, director of construction at the WTC site. “This represents to me an exclamation point on the end of a wonderful project.”

Plate said he anticipates completing the spire by the spring — if Mother Nature cooperates. And when it’s done, the spire will make the tower the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere.

This is the first of 18 sections that will make up the entire spire.

“It's highly dependent upon weather and winds,” he said. “If we get fortunate with the wind speeds during the winter, we could do it a lot faster."

City building codes bar cranes from operating with winds greater than 30 mph.

Watching the 16-foot-tall piece rise, Plate said rebuilding at Ground Zero “means a lot to all of us.”

“It really shows the resilience of the region, the country and even the world," Plate said. “People come from all around the world really, truly wanting to be a part of this.”

Seventeen more sections like it will need to be hoisted to the top of the building to complete the 408-foot-tall spire, which weighs nearly 800 tons and functions as an antenna.

The building, which is slated to open for business in 2014, “will house world-class broadcast facilities, so it's function is incredibly important to the region," Port Authority spokesman Anthony Hayes said. "We're bringing broadcast back down to lower Manhattan on top of the World Trade Center."

The skyline of lower Manhattan is seen as cranes lift pieces of the spire up One World Trade Center in New York, December 12, 2012.

Nine of the pieces, which were produced by a plant near Montreal, were ferried over to the site by barge on Tuesday from Port Newark, N.J.

The remaining pieces will be trucked in from Canada and another steel fabricating plant in Plainfield, N.J.

Plate said in his 40 years of construction experience in New York City, nothing compares to this.

“I've been on many difficult and challenging projects, but this one transcends anything I could ever think of,” he said.

One World Trade Center stands in construction as the first of 18 segment of a spire crowning it was hoisted into place, in New York, December 12, 2012. At 104 -storeys, it is the highest building in New York and when the 408-foot spire is complete it will become the tallest in the western hemisphere, hitting 1,776 feet.

© Copyright 2012 NYDailyNews.com. All rights reserved.

Question. Was the piece hoisted up today the "base" of the spire? It looks like one of the pieces will be encased in the giant roof slab and this one bears a striking resemblance to the (public) info that I have.

According to Ch 7 news it was. Just under 70 tons, which amazes me because by the time the whole thing is assembled, how can the roof support that much weight?

Quote Originally Posted by mariab View Post
    According to Ch 7 news it was. Just under 70 tons, which amazes me because by the time the whole thing is assembled, how can the roof support that much weight?
    70 tons is NOTHING compared to the weight of the building. What's more, I think the antenna structure rests on the concrete core of the building.

Any more pieces tomorrow?

My friend was down there last night and they told him more to be moved Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Wonder where they will stage them on site, assuming at the base of the tower?

Any idea when they will lift the next antenna section?

Crikey! Very close to all that glass.

One World Trade Center Spire: Workers Begin To Hoist Spire Atop City's Tallest Building

(see article for short video)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...#slide=1873589

World Trade Center Antenna Being Hoisted Into Place

by Branden Klayko

Antenna segments lifted to the top of One World Trade. (Courtesy Governor Cuomo)

After a 1,500-nautical-mile voyage from Canada, half of the World Trade Center‘s antenna has arrived in New York, and, this morning, the first segments were hoisted 104 stories—over 1,300 feet above the streets of Lower Manhattan—for installation. During AN’s site tour in September, the “roots” of the antenna were clearly visible, ready to accept the structure. Building this antenna is no small effort, either. Like the scale of everything at the World Trade site, the structure is gigantic, measuring in at 408-feet tall, higher than most skyscrapers in the rest of the country. Once finished, the antenna will bring the building’s overall height to 1,776 feet.

There remains some contention on how to describe the antenna structure—as simply an antenna or, more poetically, a spire—and despite what seems a semantic argument, the results could have tall repercussions. The Port Authority and the Durst Organization—both who use the term spire—opted to remove an architectural cladding designed by SOM and artist Kenneth Snelson from the antenna earlier this year, trimming millions from the building’s price tag. Without that sculptural finish, however, the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH), the organization charged with ranking building heights, could opt to exclude the antenna from the overall building height, where an integrated spire would count. That would mean One World Trade won’t clock in as the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere, or even the tallest in New York City.

Antenna segments being hoisted to the top of One World Trade. (Courtesy Governor Cuomo)

Antenna segments being hoisted to the top of One World Trade. (Courtesy Governor Cuomo)

Antenna base at One World Trade in September. (Tom Stoelker / AN)

Antenna base at One World Trade in September. (Tom Stoelker / AN)

Antenna segments being hoisted to the top of One World Trade. (Courtesy Port Authority of NY & NJ)

http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/archives/51575

Irish, do you know if any pieces will be lifted to the top tomorrow morning? Thanks!

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

lofter, they found your bracelet -