Page 90 of 968 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394100140190590 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 14513

Thread: WTC Tower One - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Well, FT is 1776 feet tall and the tallest in America. Can't be more American than that... I wouldn't want to change that number for F.T. Perhaps NASA will build a structure that extends into the earth's orbit, directly capable of connecting satelites to the earth. That will humble everyone for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by NYguy
    Oh, yes it is, even more so. The article is just more of the same, the towers are barely under construction.
    Well only time will tell I guess. However it seems unlikely that Freedom Tower will ever be the WTB even though it is being touted as such.

Banned Member

It is no longer being touted as the WTB by anyone. In past weeks it has been referred to as the soon-to-be Tallest Building in Western Hemisphere and the soon-to-be Tallest building in North America.

Based on the last rendering, it does seem destined to hold the title of "Ugliest Piece of Crap Trying To Pass for a Masterpiece of Architecture Built in a Major City in the Last One Hundred Years".

BrooklynRider, do I detect just the tiniest bit of disappointment over the aesthetics of this . . . well, er, um . . . uncollaborative experiment in aerie (sic) design?

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by fioco
    BrooklynRider, do I detect just the tiniest bit of disappointment over the aesthetics of this . . . well, er, um . . . uncollaborative experiment in aerie (sic) design?
    Aesthetics? I need to go back to the rendering. I saw no application of "aesthetics" on any of the renderings. Do I need to zoom in on a particular square foot of the building to find it?

Maybe you could buy some, gift wrap it and present it to David Childs as a Christmas gift?

Quote Originally Posted by 212
    Hey, does anyone else miss Libeskind's "Vertical Gardens of the World" idea as much as I do?
    I would have liked to see what a talented skyscraper architect could have done with the concept.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    It is no longer being touted as the WTB by anyone. In past weeks it has been referred to as the soon-to-be Tallest Building in Western Hemisphere and the soon-to-be Tallest building in North America.

Based on the last rendering, it does seem destined to hold the title of "Ugliest Piece of Crap Trying To Pass for a Masterpiece of Architecture Built in a Major City in the Last One Hundred Years".
    It will be the tallest half building in the world!!!

Welcome back.

if they keep on claiming that the Freedom Tower will be the world's tallest building, could that mean that 1776 is not the true hight? hopefully is not.
    I find it more humiliating loosing Worlds Tallest Building to some other country by so bad. Im ok with the desighn. I think it will turn out beautifully. Most great buildings get hard critizism in the begining. This includes the Empire and Crysler building but now, they are seemend with so much beauty. Im preety confedent same thing will happen here.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    Quote Originally Posted by 212
    Hey, does anyone else miss Libeskind's "Vertical Gardens of the World" idea as much as I do?
    I would have liked to see what a talented skyscraper architect could have done with the concept.
    As long as it was a rendering, and not something actually built.

Yes, not as rendered, but as 212 stated - the idea. But I guess that always happens, when sketches meet the reality of structural engineering.

Default Symbolic Height

By forcing this idea of symbolism down our throats with the number "1776", we are ruining our plans of ever building a taller skyscraper.

No one would have the "audacity" to build higher then the symbolic Freedom Tower.

I see the building of the Freedom Tower as the official end of New York's attempt to compete with towers being completed in Asia and the Middle East.

Hopefully, though, we will go out with one last "bang" and hold the distinguished "World's Tallest Building" award for at least a day or two.

Forum Veteran

We don't need to compete for the world's tallest now; not anymore than London, Paris, Rome or Rio need to.

If taller buildings are constructed in the United States, it would be for utility as opposed to vanity.

London, Paris, Rome etc dont have massive skyscrapers, or many at all, do they?