Page 950 of 968 FirstFirst ... 450850900940946947948949950951952953954960 ... LastLast
Results 14,236 to 14,250 of 14513

Thread: WTC Tower One - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

The whole event had a surreal quality.

On my way back this morning from a west coast red-eye...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WTC.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	18006
    Last edited by TREPYE; September 12th, 2014 at 12:26 PM.

I remember driving home from work early, because I didn't know yet what else would happen. Everyone seemed to be moving, driving, walking in slow motion, the way my mother described the days after the JFK assassination. As clear as the day was, everything seemed dim, like the way it does during a solar eclipse. I didn't even wear my sunglasses because I didn't feel like I needed them.

My latest video from today:

BY: QUEENSNY121:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jMy...ature=youtu.be

Port Authority
    September 12, 2014

Random Personality

The base up close doesn't look to bad from a distance it really is foreboding.

Forum Veteran

from Woodbridge,New Jersey

counting the cars on the New Jersey turnpike by Sigrid Shearn, on Flickr

iPhone shots

Štectonic

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic View Post
    iPhone shots

Štectonic
    This will be one of the classic angles of this tower. SUBLIME. Great find Tectonic!

Yeah, all three of those pics are stunners, and taken with an iPhone no less!

Capital New York
    October 3, 2014

Sources: 1 World Trade Center to open within weeks

By Ryan Hutchins

One World Trade Center, the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere and the crowning achievement of the Lower Manhattan rebuilding effort, is expected to open within the next month, according to four people familiar with the matter.

Two sources said officials at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and the Durst Organization, the building’s owners, are looking at October 27 as a target date, but they have not finalized their plans.

A spokesman for Durst, without elaborating, said an exact day has not been solidified.

But the timeframe is far more specific than previous ones, which put the opening at any point within the fourth quarter. The skyscraper’s anchor tenant, Condé Nast Publications, has said it will move its employees into its new 24 floors of space in November.

The opening, which is likely to draw the city and state’s top leaders, will punctuate an emotional, politically fraught and arduous 13-year endeavor to complete the skyscraper.

The original design, by World Trade Center master planner Daniel Libeskind, was scrapped over security concerns. And the building that was ultimately built, which reaches a symbolic 1,776 feet, was plagued by delays and cost overruns before finally landing on track in recent years.

Now, at long last, it is almost complete. This many years after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks reshaped Lower Manhattan, the neighborhood is finally nearing some sort of completion, with the museum open, the memorial accessible to the public and 4 World Trade Center also finished. The center’s gigantic transportation hub is taking clear shape now and is expected to open next year. Construction fencing seems to come down weekly.

But Tower One is the ultimate achievement for many involved. The building—once known as the Freedom Tower—symbolizes the post-9/11 rebirth of downtown. That it has attracted the century-old Condé Nast, whose magazine titles epitomize hip America and track the nation’s popular climate like nothing else, is even more a coup for those involved.

The company's presence has attracted other companies in the so-called TAMI sector—technology, advertising, media and information. As financial companies shrink in size and move elsewhere, TAMI tenants have become particularly coveted.

In addition to Condé Nast, which has taken floors 20 through 44 of 1 World Trade Center, the Port Authority and Durst Organization have also signed leases with China Center New York and the U.S. General Services Administration. Kids Creative LLC and Servcorp have also signed for a floor each. More than 30 floors still need tenants.

I somehow forgot its still not open.