Page 955 of 968 FirstFirst ... 455855905945951952953954955956957958959965 ... LastLast
Results 14,311 to 14,325 of 14513

Thread: WTC Tower One - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

and of course the webcams had to be broken today...

^Maybe they disabled them in case they fell, but it would have been live on the networks anyway. This evening's news now says it was the 86th floor, which looks more like it.

Does 1WTC not have some kind of automated window-washing apparatus, not unlike what the twin towers used?

^They were motor-driven baskets, but I'm pretty sure guys still had to clean the windows, and I'm almost positive at least two of them died on 9/11. Is it true though, that Towers 4 & 7 have non-manned automated washers? Read that somewhere today but I can't see that they wouldn't have them for 1, also.

Default I was nearby

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6215.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	18044   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6217.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	18045   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6208.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	18046   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6203.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	18047   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6206.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	18048  

Compared to all of the mishaps the Twin Towers had, this would be rated trivial. Glad those workers are okay, though.

I see that they disable the webcams when an incident occurs(i.e. Hurricane Sandy and inclement weather) which makes sense. I could have swore I saw them place the last rafter segment on the north side of the oculus, though. I'll have to go check.

They did, yes.

The cams went down early in the morning, hours before this happened. Just a coincidence....

(or was it? did someone know? hmmmmm........)

My latest video from today:

By QUEENSNY121:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hme0...ature=youtu.be

New York Post
    November 18, 2014

Floors filling up fast at 1 World Trade Center

By Steve Cuozzo

Don't believe downtown detractors, 1 WTC is filling up fast, the Post's Steve Cuozzo writes.

While downtown detractors try to sell the lie that the district has too much empty space — especially at the World Trade Center — the skyscraper formerly known as the Freedom Tower just goes on making deals.

In the latest lease at the Port Authority and Durst Organization’s 1 WTC, location-based mobile advertising firm xAd has just taken the tower’s entire 60th floor with 43,849 square feet.

The news comes on the heels of last week’s signing of online gaming shop High 5 Games to 87,000 square feet on the 58th and 59th floors. That transaction was barely noticed on a day when 1 WTC coverage was dominated by the plight and rescue of window washers trapped on a suspended scaffold.

The two most recent transactions bring 1 WTC’s 3 million square feet to 62.8 percent leased, said Durst rep Jordan Barowitz.

And by our count, the tower has signed 235,000 square feet of deals over the past six months.

Durrst and the PA are building out the space for xAd, an expanding mobile ad startup that specializes in serving media specific to a user’s location. The firm recently received $50 million in funding.

It’s now based at 401 Park Ave. S., where it’s expected to remain after the expansion into 1 WTC. The asking rent was $69 a square foot.

The tenant was repped by Cushman & Wakefield’s Jon Mayeske and Jamie Katcher. A Cushman team led by Tara Stacom acted for the ownership, along with Eric Engelhardt and Karen Kuznick in-house for Durst.

What a typical office space would look like from the 63rd floor of 1 World Trade Center.

On a different WTC note:

Strolling through the complex’s new, underground West Gallery the other day to see the locations where Westfield has leased gourmet food shops, we passed a sign for One World Observatory, 1 WTC’s rooftop attraction, on the corridor’s second level (which is the first floor of the tower).

Maybe it was the sight of all that white marble — but it brought back a memory of the old WTC’s south tower lobby, where the elevator entrance to the observatory was.

Nothing about 1 WTC is anything like the Twin Towers, which were primitively engineered and inefficient compared with their successor. But for just a moment, I experienced a poignant rush of their undeniable monumentality and all the life they bore.

© 2014 NYP Holdings, Inc. All Rights Reserved

New York Daily News
    November 19, 2014

Manhattan real estate broker proposes to girlfriend at 1 World Trade Center's 85th floor

Jeffrey Carlson, 33, invited the unsuspecting Jessica St. John, 36, who also works in real estate, to the newly opened lower Manhattan landmark for what he said was an exclusive tour of tenant Servcorp’s future office space.

BY NICOLE LYN PESCE

Jeffrey Carlson and Jessica St. John share a toast after he proposed to her at 1 World Trade Center on Tuesday as a violinist serenaded them.

These lovers are on top of the world.

A Manhattan real estate broker proposed to his girlfriend of five years on 1 World Trade Center’s 85th floor Tuesday — and she said yes.

Jeffrey Carlson, 33, invited the unsuspecting Jessica St. John, 36, who also works in real estate, to the newly opened lower Manhattan landmark for what he said was an exclusive tour of tenant Servcorp’s future office space.

But instead of an empty floor, St. John found a white carpet covered in red rose petals leading to a table set with a towering vase of white roses. A violinist serenaded the pair as Carlson got down on bended knee and asked for her hand before the floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking Manhattan.

A violinist serenaded the pair as Carlson got down on bended knee and asked for her hand before the floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking Manhattan.

“Oh my, God, yes, of course!” she gasped, sealing their engagement with a kiss, while 20 friends and family, including the bride-to-be’s parents, applauded from their hiding place around a corner.

“We’re both suckers for beautiful views,” explained Carlson, who planned the proposal a week ago.

The couple courted downtown for four years, while he was working in a small real estate startup on Wall Street and she was bartending at Delmonico’s. They clicked after St. John interviewed for a job at Carlson’s firm in 2009.

'Oh my, God, yes, of course!' she gasped, sealing their engagement with a kiss, while 20 friends and family, including the bride-to-be’s parents, applauded from their hiding place around a corner.

“Both of our lives were completely entwined together in the Financial District,” he said.

They moved in together at 20 Exchange Pl. nine months later, and the skyscraper rising from the ashes of the 2001 terrorist attacks became symbolic of the better future they could build together.

“We watched it being built every day,” Carlson said.

The couple courted downtown for four years, while he was working in a small real estate startup on Wall Street and she was bartending at Delmonico’s. They clicked after St. John interviewed for a job at Carlson’s firm in 2009.

The bride’s mom, Brenda St. John from Wantagh, agreed the site suited a proposal.

“This building is all about new beginnings,” she said.

The couple has since moved to Astoria, but their relationship remains rooted in lower Manhattan. They often return for dates.

This marks the first engagement at the long-anticipated 1,776-foot tower, which opened Nov. 3 after taking 13 years to build and costing $3.9 billion.

Carlson was touring the Servcorp offices at 1 WTC with business partners two weeks ago when one suggested he pop the question there.

“I thought it would be shot down for security reasons,” he said.

Juliette Colon, Servcorp’s sales director, said, “It was a broker that asked, and we’re romantics at heart, so how could we say no?”

The groom-to-be had one more surprise in store for his fiancée: whisking her to dinner at Vintry Wine & Whiskey on Stone St., where they had their first date, to celebrate with their friends and family.

“I’m completely shocked,” gushed the bride-to-be. “I was so excited to come see the building, and then for this to be what was really happening is just amazing. This is where our relationship really started ... so it definitely is reminiscent of us.”

This marks the first engagement at the long-anticipated 1,776-foot tower, which opened Nov. 3 after taking 13 years to build and costing $3.9 billion.

© Copyright 2014 NYDailyNews.com. All rights reserved.

So...it took 13 years to build, from 2006?

The news really knows how to push buttons.

The dude wore dirty pants to his own proposal.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

^ Check out the other pics. It only got dirty when he kneeled down. Looks like the floor still had construction dust.