Page 967 of 968 FirstFirst ... 467867917957963964965966967968 LastLast
Results 14,491 to 14,505 of 14513

Thread: WTC Tower One - by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill

Commercial Property Executive
    October 7, 2015

One World Trade Center Among Emporis Skyscraper Award Winners

By Keith Loria, Contributing Editor

Photo credit: Royce Douglas

New York City’s One World Trade Center was among the Top Ten winners of this year’s Emporis Skyscraper Award, the world’s most renowned architecture prize for skyscrapers.

The project took fourth place in the 15-year-old competition, with projects chosen by an international panel of experts. More than 300 skyscrapers of at least 100 meters height completed during the previous calendar year were considered.

Soaring above the city at 1,776 feet, One World Trade Center is now America’s tallest building. Designed by David M. Childs of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, the 2.6-million-square-foot building includes office space, an observation deck, world-class restaurants, and broadcast and antennae facilities.

“The tower is an open, welcoming building that both radiates light and is filled with light,” Childs told Commercial Property Executive. “Our design team has achieved our goal of creating a great urban place—a building that serves the people who work in it, welcomes those who visit it, and plays an integral and vibrant role in the city that surrounds it.”

The building includes an expansive public lobby topped by a series of mechanical floors, comprising the base level. Above that are 69 office floors, including two television broadcast floors, mechanical floors and two restaurants. On top of that sits an observation deck and a glass-metal parapet with the crown of the project being a communications platform and a 408-foot, cable-stayed spire, designed in collaboration with artist Kenneth Snelson.

“Everybody had this notion that this building would be a fortress—like a bunker—but I think the building is looking very open, approachable and democratic,” T.J. Gottesdiener, an architect and managing partner of SOM, told CPE. “It has an amazing amount of security in the building but you can go up to it and not think of it as daunting and appreciate its architecture and its statement about resiliency and moving forward.”

Taking the top spot in the Emporis competition was the building complex Wangjing SOHO in Beijing, which consists of three unique skyscrapers with heights of 118 meters, 127 meters and 200 meters and noteworthy for its excellent energy efficiency and distinctive design. Zaha Hadid Architects designed the buildings.

Bosco Verticale in Milan, Italy took second, praised for its green architecture. Designed by Boeri Studio, the facade and balconies of the two towers are covered with more than 700 trees and 90 different species of plants, which help to reduce smog and attenuate noise, while simultaneously producing oxygen and controlling the temperature inside the towers.

Tour D2 in Courbevoie, France finished in third place, and the Leadenhall Building in London, came in fifth. The only other U.S. building in the top 10 was New York’s One57, designed by Atelier Christian de Portzamparc.

© , Commercial Property Executive

National September 11 Memorial and Museum on Facebook
    December 6, 2015

I (finally) made it up to the WTC Observatory yesterday - all the other times I've been in lower manhattan the past few months its been overcast, or the lines were around the block. Mid-afternoon on a Tuesday, I entered to find no line at all - I walked right up from the path station to the Ticket area - 5 minutes and 32$ later I was in line for the elevator.

Path connector, and the Christmas Tree in the lobby*. The marble looks great - but I miss the wide open lobby of the old WTC. This is multi-level and felt very cramped.

As others have described, they have a bit of a show going to the WTC Observatory - most of which I skipped (thanks to the non-existent lines). The elevator itself... is fast. My ears popped within seconds, and I could feel the force in my knees. I resisted the temptation to jump as it slowed to see if I could feel weightless

It opens to a 3rd floor event space, from which you walk down to a food level. It ain't Windows On The World. Hit Rockefeller Center if you want food with a view. They have jacked up prices AND a 32$ observatory ticket to get in. One or the other guys! From the food floor you get to enter the actually observatory - where I spent the afternoon and evening, watching the sunset and the lights turn on - as I often did at the old WTC from Windows On The World, a lifetime ago (and a few dozen feet higher).

Unfortunately for my daytime viewing - clouds moved in from the 30 minutes between - hey, why not hit the WTC Observatory, not a cloud in the sky, to actually getting up there. Doh!

They rent iPad's to the tourists with information about landmarks, but really? Why? There were some employees around who helpfully helped me identify some landmarks out on LI - as I tested how far you could see on a cloudy day. Further than I thought, but not quite forever

For those interested - that white dot in the distance is the Islip Federal Courthouse - one of the largest buildings in Suffolk County. Next to it, if you zoom in all the way you can see the Fire Island Firehouse. Not pictured, the 4 towers of the Northport Power Planet - which I couldn't get on film (and in focus - damn it)! That's over 50 miles distant, and clearly visible with the naked eye. Not bad! I'll have to see if the Stony Brook power plant or other more distant landmarks are visible on a clear day

On tip for anyone who catches sunset... 15 minutes before go to the east side of the building, and look carefully. I was surprised when I saw a void in the light of my (damn out of focus!) picture

It took me a moment to realize that it was the shadow of the WTC itself - going all the way into Westchester. I even got to use the damn glass to my advantage - shadow to the east - sunset reflected in the west

Sunset itself was beautiful - clouds might make for lousy distance, but it does help taking nice sunset shots

So... worth 32$? Probably not for a few minutes. But if you have a few hours to spend the afternoon and evening there... absolutely. Best views in town - smudgy glass and all. Just eat before you go up there

*Taking pictures of the Tree provoked Security Drama, as they thought I was taking shots of the security checkpoint for the Observatory down below. Relax guys, no one cares about your security theater enough to take photos of it. Here's my camera to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by dtolman View Post

What a great and artistic shot.... Good eye dude.

Real Estate Weekly
    February 17, 2016

Broadcasters return to 1 World Trade Center after 14-year absence

The Durst Organization today announced that CBS, NBCUniversal-owned WNBC and WNJU and PBS will relocate their broadcasting operations to the 408-foot-tall spire of One World Trade Center in Lower Manhattan.

The historic development marks the return of network and radio broadcasting to the 1,776-foot One World Trade Center after an absence of more than 14-years.

The broadcasters will use One World Trade Center as their primary broadcast facility for the New York/New Jersey market. Broadcast antennae will wrap portions of the spire and ancillary equipment will be housed on the building’s communications rings. The tower’s 90th floor will house broadcasters’ transmission equipment and serve the communications hub for the building.

One World Trade Center’s 1,776-foot height allows broadcasters unprecedented coverage for their signal and the building’s state-of-the-art communications and technology infrastructure provides a full-service and seamless broadcast facility.

“We are very proud to welcome CBS, NBCUniversal-owned WNBC and WNJU and PBS back to One World Trade Center,” said John Lyons, Assistant Vice President and Director of Broadcast Communications for The Durst Organization. “Our world-class facility will provide the infrastructure and service our tenants need to maximize their broadcast operations. We look forward to working with other potential broadcasters and telecommunications companies and introducing them to our facility at One World Trade Center.”

“One World Trade Center provides an outstanding broadcast facility and we look forward to more tenants joining us at our excellent facility,” said Jonathan (Jody) Durst, President of The Durst Organization.

All of the broadcasters had previously broadcast from One World Trade Center prior to September 11, 2001.

Rosenberg & Estis, P. C. was legal counsel. Robert Becker and John Lyons handled the negotiations for Durst Broadcasting LLC.

In addition to the broadcasters, the tower recently reached a major milestone by surpassing two million square feet of leased office space, an accomplishment equivalent to the full lease-up of two major Manhattan skyscrapers. One World Trade Center now includes a roster of 25 office tenants representing such business sectors as media, technology, financial services, advertising, and biotechnology.

Among the property’s largest tenants, global publishing giant Condé Nast, the anchor tenant, has 1.2-million-square-foot headquarters between the 20th and 44th floors. The General Services Administration has approximately 273,000 square feet on floors 50 to 55, online gaming company High 5 Games occupies 87,663 square feet on floors 58 and 59, location-focused mobile advertising firm xAd occupies 86,517 square feet on floors 60 and 61, and financial services giant Moody’s has signed a lease for 75,312 square feet on floors 56 and 57.

Executive suites firm Servcorp occupies approximately 35,000 square feet on the 85th floor, China Center New York holds approximately 33,000 square feet on the 89th floor, and One World Observatory has approximately 115,000 square feet on 100-102 and lobby floors.

One World Trade Center will provide direct, weather-protected connections to 11 subway lines, the PATH train, and the Hudson River ferries. In addition, the West Concourse pedestrian walkway — which connects the World Trade Center campus to Brookfield Place and Battery Park City — now offers access to the World Trade Center Transportation Hub and to the entrance to One World Observatory. It will soon also provide access to 125 shops being developed by Westfield, including restaurants, and services, and the new MTA Fulton Transit Center on Broadway.

Designed to achieve LEED CS Gold Certification, One World Trade Center is poised to become the most environmentally sustainable project of its size in the world.

Developed by The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, One World Trade Center is managed, operated, and leased by The Durst Organization.

COPYRIGHT 2015 REAL ESTATE WEEKLY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

It's time to begin saying "12 subway lines" again. The W train, which had only served the World Trade Center for under two months, will return in November of this year. My sincere hope is that the 9 train returns once the Cortlandt and South Ferry stations are revived in 2018. I'm not sure who misses the old M, and I'm convinced that the Z train doesn't actually run.

The Z train runs like a shadow. I see one once every full moon and not once more. Yet they nixed the W and made the N local uptown. I am quite certain however, that the 9 isn't coming back.

That's because there are only 6 Z trains each peak direction each weekday each occurring 10 minutes apart over a single hour (rush hour!). We're not talking about a very full service schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
    I'm not sure who misses the old M
    Running direct from South Williamsburg to Borough Park, the old M was heavily used by the Chassidish community.

New York Times
    May 27, 2016

3.3 Million Were Expected at Trade Center Attraction; a Million Haven’t Shown Up

By CHARLES V. BAGLI

The southern vista at One World Observatory, which opened in May last year atop 1 World Trade Center in Lower Manhattan. Credit Chang W. Lee/The New York Times

In New York City, it seemed like you couldn’t go wrong getting tourists’ heads into the clouds. Especially if, like One World Observatory, you could boast the highest observation deck in the Western Hemisphere, atop the newly built 1 World Trade Center.

When the observatory complex opened last year on the top three floors of the new Lower Manhattan building, its operator, Legends, predicted that it would draw 3.3 million visitors annually.

That was optimistic by a million.

This week, the video wall in the Global Welcome Center, which displays a running tally of visitors, put the total number at just 2.3 million since the observatory opened on May 29, 2015.

And it appears that the river of tourists has slowed over time. One World celebrated its one-millionth visitor last September, four months after opening. But in the eight months since then, only 1.3 million have made their way to the attraction, perched 1,268 feet above city streets.

With the standard ticket price set at $32, the shortfall in attendance is significant for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns the building, together with the Durst Organization. The authority, which has spent tens of billions of dollars rebuilding the trade center, hoped the observatory would be a major revenue generator.

In the past, the authority claimed that its lease with Legends would generate $875 million over 15 years. Legends pays the authority a flat rent of $14.6 million a year, and as much as 50 percent of the revenues above certain undisclosed thresholds.

Legends and the authority insist that the observatory is a success, although they both refuse to release any rent or revenue numbers for the publicly owned property, citing a confidentiality agreement. They say the observatory hit its numbers for 2015.

“Between revenue numbers and customer reviews, we couldn’t be more happy,” said Shervin Mirhashemi, president of Legends, which is owned by the New York Yankees and the Dallas Cowboys. “We look at our attraction as a premium experience.”

Still, the National September 11 Memorial and Museum attracted 2.9 million visitors over the past year, 600,000 more than One World Observatory.

Observatories have become a 21st-century craze, inspired in part by the profit-making operation at one of the world’s biggest tourist attractions: the Empire State Building, whose two observatories are a veritable cash machine, drawing more than 4 million tourists annually and producing nearly 40 percent of the tower’s total revenue in 2015 and $82 million in cash after expenses.

Top of the Rock, the observation deck at Rockefeller Center, lures 2 million visitors a year.

Both attractions raised their prices to match One World Observatory’s when that venue opened.

Some new observatories are offering more than a view to attract tourists.

At the Tilt thrill ride at the John Hancock Center in Chicago, visitors can step into a glass-and-steel enclosure as it rotates 30 degrees.

Attendance at the observatory is below projections. At the entrance on Friday afternoon, there was no line to buy tickets, which go for $32. Credit Chang W. Lee/The New York Times

In Los Angeles, when a four-story observatory at the U.S. Bank Tower is completed, visitors will be able to hurtle down a 45-foot-long glass-bottomed slide, 1,000 feet above the street.

But in New York, the attraction has mostly been the view, whether from the Empire State Building, Top of the Rock or, until it was destroyed in the Sept. 11 attacks, the Windows on the World complex atop the trade center’s North Tower, with its high-end restaurant, bars and party rooms offering sweeping vistas over the harbor and Lower Manhattan.

Mr. Mirhashemi said that Legends was still building its business at the trade center. He said the company expected to draw 2.5 million tourists in 2016, and eventually, more than 3 million annually.

In explaining the slowdown so far this year, Mr. Mirhashemi said that tourism typically dipped between January and May but came roaring back in the summer.

But in the first quarter of 2016, the Empire State Building’s observatories saw a 15.6 percent increase in attendance over the same period a year earlier, according to S.E.C. filings.

Legends, which spent almost $80 million building the complex atop 1 World Trade Center, provides marketing and food and beverage services for a number of large sports venues, including Yankee Stadium in the Bronx, Angel Stadium and the Rose Bowl in the Los Angeles area, Levi’s Stadium in the San Francisco Bay Area, and the Cowboys’ AT&T Stadium outside Dallas. One World Observatory is the company’s first observatory, though it will also operate the observation deck at the U.S. Bank Tower in Los Angeles.

The authority selected the company in 2013 to run the attraction at the trade center over more experienced operators.

Barry Tenenbaum, president of New York City Vacation Packages, a tourism company, said the observatory’s problems might be rooted in Legends’ failure to court tour operators, which often buy tickets in bulk, at a significant discount.

Tourists from other countries often purchase a package with tickets from museums and other attractions before they land in New York. The standard package for Mr. Tenenbaum’s company includes admission to either the Empire State Building or Top of the Rock, but not to One World Observatory.

“Legends really doesn’t have a lot of experience in the tourism market,” Mr. Tenenbaum said. “I would like to think that’s why their volume is not up to snuff. I think they’re going after the corporate market as much as the tourist market.”

Mr. Mirhashemi said that Legends was working with tour operators, “but on a very selective basis.”

Soon visitors will have even more choices. On the West Side of Manhattan, a new competitor at 30 Hudson Yards, which claims it will have the highest outdoor deck, on the 89th floor, is scheduled to open in 2019, with another at 1 Vanderbilt, next to Grand Central Terminal, to follow.

Analysts have wondered how many observatories are too many in New York.

But some people think the sky is the limit. “The city could definitely accommodate three, if not more, observatories,” said Andrew Luan, owner of New York Tour1, a guided-tour operator.

© 2016 The New York Times Company

(Jimmy Chin for The New York Times)

They must have stashed some really good coffee up there for this to be happening. None of that Starbucks junk.