Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Park Row Building - by Robert H. Robertson

Default Park Row Building

The statue on the left is strangely realistic and scarry.

Last time I was in lower Manhattan, I made it a point to take a good look at the Park Row building. All this building needs is a good exterior cleaning. It's a great design.

And yes, putting the flags back on the cupolas is a terrific, relatively inexpensive way to put this building back on the map.

Forum Veteran

The cupolas themselves should be floodlit.

Default It's okay but

of all the ones taken down is probably the least interesting, and partly because of the side walls which weren't then finished like the facade. I would have died to see the whole row together, Pulitzer World and Hearst Herald and the very strange St.Paul building. The NYTimes building is more interesting than the than this one -- but Pace College should be blown off the face of the universe. Does anyone have any pictures of what is supposed to be built in the parking lot of the old Beekman Hospital (whoever owns it this minute), I haven't been in NY in about four months and don't even know if they started work (I am still looking for a thread for this building, if I didn't find it yet I apologize).

That ^ is a famous and much-discussed HOLE in these parts.

A THREAD \/ with everything -- 102 pages !!! -- you'd want to know (except for what it will look like ) ...

8 Spruce St - Ratner's Beekman Street Tower (Gehry)

Default thanks, didn't realize it was Spruce

I tend not to look at all the infighting development plans and am just a couch potato kind of what does it finally look like? kind of person. I did hear it was going to be about 70-stories, is this wrong now? That's huge and would dwarf everything around it, and be murder if it were ugly. The Potter Buidling and other condo developments on Nasau would be eaten up.

We all fear that Gehry is being nickled & dimed by Ratner -- hence the lack of renderings.

And now that the new Nouvel proposal for MoMA has been made public me thinks that Gehry has taken his model / renderings for this site and locked himself in the basement in shame.

Default Park Row Building - New York

Here's a painting of Park Row Building New York (1899) which may be of interest. The painting was a commision and was completed in 2006. It was once the tallest office building in the world.

http://www.simonfieldhouse.com/new_york.htm

The Park Row Building may be a residential building now, but does it still have any offices? The building still needs an exterior cleanup.

The single attractive front of the Park Row Building.

The two 3-story turrets on top of the building are not up to current building and fire codes and are unsuitable for use. Plans for redeveloping those cupolas are unknown.

J & R is consolidating all its shops into their one building at 1 Park Row. Could be that the mid-block buildings are about to be redeveloped.

From the Tribeca Citizen:

So... are they adding the clock?

Bad drawing, I guess. The clock is already there, at the corner.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12