Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Columbia University Campus Expansion - Manhattanville

Forum Veteran

Construction Worker Killed in Building Collapse in Manhattan

A construction worker was killed on Thursday when a building in Manhattan owned by Columbia University collapsed.
    A construction worker was killed and two others were injured on Thursday morning in the collapse of a partly demolished two-story building in Upper Manhattan that was owned by Columbia University, the authorities said.The building, at 604-606 West 131st Street, collapsed shortly before 8 a.m. The cause was unclear.A city official said the site was part of Columbia University’s expansion project, which involves building a 17-acre satellite campus in West Harlem. Columbia, which acquired the building in 2009, said the site would become “publicly accessible open space” between buildings used by its business school. The building had been an outpost of a company that sold supplies for contracting and building maintenance work.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/22/construction-worker-killed-in-building-collapse-in-manhattan

More news on; the building collapse, safety violations, protests, a mob connected contractor and the Columbia University Campus expansion in Manhattanville.

BTW...This area is not exactly 'the upper west side' as stated in the thread title: West Harlem, Hamilton Heights, Manhattanville would be more accurate. The 'Upper West Side' designation may need to get changed at some point.

http://www.dnainfo.com/20120323/harl...ety-violations

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    A construction worker was killed on Thursday when a building in Manhattan owned by Columbia University collapsed.
    A construction worker was killed and two others were injured on Thursday morning in the collapse of a partly demolished two-story building in Upper Manhattan that was owned by Columbia University, the authorities said. The building had been an outpost of a company that sold supplies for contracting and building maintenance work.
    Does anybody else see the irony in this? The building that collapsed had been used to sell supplies for building maintenance work...

First Look at Columbia’s Manhattanville Public Spaces, and Its Clean Construction Practices

by Nick Miller

(Images: James Corner Field Operations)

Thanks to state of the art green building technologies and a proactive clean construction plan, Columbia University’s 17-acre Manhattanville campus in West Harlem is set to become New York City’s first LEED-Platinum certified neighborhood plan. Columbia is successfully mitigating the environmental effects of the 6.8 million square feet of new construction that is currently underway on the former industrial site between 129th and 133rd Streets, Broadway and 12th Avenue, just north of the main Morningside Heights campus, by teaming up with the Environmental Defense Fund and carefully limiting the noise, dust, and soot that emanates from the site. The university has also released new renderings, showing the landscape and public spaces designed by James Corner Field Operations.

The plan incorporates academic and research space, underground parking, civic and cultural facilities, as well as commercial space and 94,00 square feet of open space, including a one-acre public square. This new urban campus, which will be built over the next 25 years, represents a distinct departure from the insular walled-in model of Columbia’s Morningside Heights campus, as the University plans to create pedestrian friendly landscapes, widen sidewalks, convey transparency and openness with glass faced ground floors, and provide opportunities for local small businesses and entrepreneurs by leasing out storefronts on the new buildings.

While the University has demolished 33 buildings in the area, as much as 90 percent of the materials have been saved or recycled. All diesel construction equipment, running on ultra-low sulfur fuel, is equipped with particulate filters which release neither soot nor smell, and electric power is used whenever possible. To help create a dust free construction site, all construction vehicles have their wheels and undercarriages washed down twice before they leave the site, and the water use is recycled for future washes. A composite wall of Jersey barriers, plywood fencing, and noise blankets surrounds the entire operation. “Construction can either be an environmental nuisance to people,” said Philip Pitrruzello, Vice President of Columbia’s Manhattanville Construction, in a statement, “or construction can work with a community to help make livable cities.”

http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/archives/39972

Crikey!

Diller Scofidio and Renfro's New Columbia Building Unveiled!

by Sara Polsky

Architects Diller Scofidio and Renfro were tapped last year to design two buildings for Columbia's business school. It turns out they're also designing one for the medical school on Columbia's Washington Heights campus. A tipster alerted us that the first renderings of the design are up on the medical school's website. DS+R worked with Gensler on the building design, and the 14-story glass tower will include classrooms (high-tech, of course), "collaboration spaces, and a modern simulation center." We're not sure exactly what that means (the Columbia site says it will allow "hands-on learning in realistic settings"), but that's probably why we're bloggers, not doctors. The 42-month construction process will begin in early 2013.

The building will also include a terrace with views of the Hudson River—very important for the acquisition of medical knowledge—and places for people to "relax and have coffee." A bit more about the design:
    "The design centralizes all social and public spaces in a vertical stack at the south face of the building. This continuous space features a multi-story glass façade that maximizes light and offers exceptional views to the south. The interiors of the study cascade – a system of special alcoves reserved for social interaction – are complemented by outdoor gathering spaces and terraces that are clad in cement panels, wood, and other materials. In addition to serving as the principal design element for the building, the transparent façade of the study cascade is designed to serve as a visual landmark at the northern limit of Columbia University’s medical campus. The northern face of the building houses space for classrooms, clinical simulation and administrative space."

And here's that in a more visual form:

CUMC Unveils Design for New Medical and Graduate Education Building [ps.columbia.edu]

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2012/0...eiled.php#more

More at Architect's Newspaper:

http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/archives/41540
    Last edited by Merry; June 28th, 2012 at 08:53 AM.

Architectural section/detail built to "full scale" HeHe

I like it.......
    Last edited by infoshare; June 28th, 2012 at 04:09 PM.

For reference, this isn't part of the Harlem build out. This is here:

http://goo.gl/maps/omxw

My wife and I walked by the site after getting our bagels Saturday, and nothing much has started. Not only is this a bonkers addition to the nabe, but it's in stark contrast to the towers behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
    For reference, this isn't part of the Harlem build out. This is here:

http://goo.gl/maps/omxw

My wife and I walked by the site after getting our bagels Saturday, and nothing much ......it.
    OK, I did a quick read on this and was wondering just where this project worked into the new campus expansion project. Thanks for mentioning that this is part of the 'existing' campus in Morningside Heights. And yes, nothing much more than
    foundation work going on at this point for the CU campus expansion

Sorry, I meant nothing was going on in the Heights. Three miles is a long walk for a bagel.

That new medical building will properly realize what the Northwest Corner building teases us with at the corner of Broadway and 120 St. (To get the most out of it, at least the fourth and fifth floors would need to be rearranged to enable views of the library and small lounge area from the street, but still...)

I wonder why this project does not get more activity in the forum: this project is massive - almost on the same scale as the WTC rebuilding project. I looked into the site recently and some semblance of a new tower is rising on the construction site; one large concrete column rising above the height of the riverside drive viaduct.

I will get some photos soon to hopefully spark some interest: and perhaps start giving this project the 'weight' it deserves in the architectural forums. This project will start taking shape soon, and there will be plenty to see and report as it all comes together.

The area is actually known variously as manhattanville or west Harlem: but it definitely is not the upper west side - so a name change for this thread will be forthcoming.
    Last edited by infoshare; November 13th, 2012 at 04:58 PM.

Location location location. This suffers from the same problem as all the new buildings at city college. Not very tall, and not conveniently located for photos. Similarly, there are a couple really large bits of construction on 145th and 155th sts and neither have a single picture posted here.

I see permits have been filed for this and demolition of the walk-up building is underway. A bit sad since Haven Avenue is nice street lined with the consistent 6 story brick building type.

Quote Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
    Location location location. This suffers from the same problem as all the new buildings at city college. Not very tall, and not conveniently located for photos.
    I know that by "conveniently located" you are referring to the far 'uptown' location of this construction site. This entire site is however 'well located' in the sense that there is - located on either side of the site - elevated platforms upon which to view the new buildings/construction from up-above. To the east of the site is the 125th street station (#1 train) and to the west is the Riverside Drive Viaduct: both so-called 'viewing platforms' are at a very high elevation: I would guess about 100 - 150 feet above ground level.

Here is an example of a photo I took yesterday (with iPad so a bit grainy) from the RSD viaduct. The construction crew was installing one of the tallest/largest/heaviest looking rebar column I have ever seen; it was quite amazing watching them maneuver that massive structure into a (relatively) small hole in the ground. Viewing the operations from that vantage point - as you can see from the photo - make this a very special
    'location' in that sense of the word.

Photo to be posted HERE shortly (stand by)

Do you live up this way? That build IS conveniently located for me to take photos. I walk by on Fort Wash every saturday morning to get my bagel. This is going in front of the crazy 60s towers on the street, so I'm not sure it makes much of a difference. All of the buildings up here are elevator buildings as well (and were built with them). It used to be all giant rich-person apartments until they were all hacked into much smaller apartments in the 30s.

The Columbia Manhattanville site has plenty of AWESOME photo opportunities, being surrounded by high, publicly accessible places. It's getting there in the first place that's annoying.