Page 150 of 255 FirstFirst ... 50100140146147148149150151152153154160200250 ... LastLast
Results 2,236 to 2,250 of 3813

Thread: WTC Transit Hub - by Santiago Calatrava

$3.4 billion for a Station?! That is unfathomable. $100 million for a single transit station sounds like a lot. 34 X 100 million is ridiculous. Even in New York. Even at the WTC.

It has been my experience that the PA tends to under estimate projects.

No, RandySavage, not $3.4 billion for a station.

$3.4 billion for a giant underground, totally interconnected, Transit Hub. With a very expensive and showy PATH station and transit hall.

They could have saved alot of money by shutting down the PATH and the #1 line for 3 years and demoing it all and build it up anew. But then there would have been riots and all the overtime for police. Calling out the National Guard. Air strikes, tanks in the streets of New York. The overthrow of the Government, huge spike in the price of ammo.

The $3.44 billion actually sounds rather sane.

Go back to the last page and look at all those great pics that 325ccr posted (Thanks again Dude !). All those big white beams are TEMPORARY SUPPORTS for the #1 box ! They brought those things in, one beam section per truck. The dang things gota weigh over 20,000 pounds each. the cost of the steel alone PER BEAM SECTION has got to be over $10,000. Add to that the cost of fabrication and erection. Plus all those temporary towers, etc etc etc. The shit adds up fast.

http://www.panynj.gov/business-oppor...s-awarded.html
    Be sure to click on the WTC construction tab. The dollar amounts given are NOT the contract cost but the PA estimated cost. The cost of the actual contract award is 10 to 18% higher.

In some cases it's as much as 40% higher.

Keep in mind that most of the contracts were awarded BEFORE the economic downturn and therefore are based on labor, equipment and material costs at the time of the award.

I post this in the hopes that a few folks might actually read and understand it.
    Last edited by ZenSteelDude; February 25th, 2011 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brianac View Post

... blamed high international shipping costs ...
    I hope they've locked in some numbers for those costs.

Given the way things are going, fuel for shipping isn't getting any cheaper.

He also blamed high international shipping costs and overruns on smaller plumbing, electrical and mechanical contracts.
    Not so small, at $180 million.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    I hope they've locked in some numbers for those costs.

Given the way things are going, fuel for shipping isn't getting any cheaper.
    The sad part is the cost of steel at the time of most of the awards was 30 cents a pound higher. 90,000,000 pounds * .30 cents =$27 million dollars. That's just Tower One.

Over the entire WTC site it's hundreds of millions, just for the cost of the steel.

As an estimator fuel costs are 1 or 2%, steel costs are 30 to 35% of the total. Speaking as a steel contractor of course.

Simple example: this beam in 2007 cost $2,000, in December of 2010 that same beam cost $1,700. But the contract was signed for the higher cost. Multiply that by the number of beams in a tower or transit hub.

This is a simple example and does not cover the custom steel in the Calatrava Arches. (Another reason why the Hub costs so much, specialty custom fabricated steel.)

(Part of this is due to the ignorance of the buyer, aka the PA. You want one of these shelf units shure, I got thousands to sell ya, cheap. OOOOOH, you want one of these one of a kind no one has transit hubs, that's gona cost ya ! Big time !.)

OK, my head hurts, I need Nikki time. night folks.
    Last edited by ZenSteelDude; February 25th, 2011 at 09:31 PM.

For those who were making bets - first piece of the next Box Girder section went to the north of the existing one.
    They are also placing huge long temporary beams on the east side of the box at this moment!

Bigger beams in today ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	110226_WTCHub1.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	12328

Name:	110226_WTCHub2.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	12329

Oh I thought someone photoshopped the image.

I think I see how the temporary support system is going to work. They used a similar method when they were excavating the underpass beneath the IRT tracks at Atlantic Terminal. I'd just love to see how the temporary support system is favoring over on the west side.

By the way, are they extending the supercolumns outwards?
    Last edited by BStyles; February 26th, 2011 at 02:35 PM.

Beam me up Scotty!

Quote Originally Posted by yepole View Post
    For those who were making bets - first piece of the next Box Girder section went to the north of the existing one.
    They are also placing huge long temporary beams on the east side of the box at this moment!

NY@K buys the first round !

Quote Originally Posted by BStyles View Post
    By the way, are they extending the supercolumns outwards?
    No, that looks like a stairway shaft they are building next to the southeast super footing. Could be a utility tunnel, I forget and I'm to tired to drag the prints out.
    Last edited by ZenSteelDude; February 26th, 2011 at 04:02 PM.

They added a little bridge across the spine canyon ...

Name:	110226_WTCHubBridge1.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	12341

Name:	110226_WTCHubBridge2.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	12342

Well, it beats having to go through the pavilion, cross over onto the subway box, then cross over to the box girder and climb down a few hundred ladders.

Sliding another beam under the subway box....

Name:	beamf.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	12343

More box girder sections going in on the north side this morning.

It only seams fair to post this here too.
    What all that temporary steel on the east side of the #1 subway box is there to support during it's construction. The "East side truss". It's just a 200 foot long railroad bridge, what makes it special is it's location.